New
Find
Notify
Tools

My daughters first big buck
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

What ever the gene is that holds the love of all things outdoors my daughter got it from me. Since the time she was age 4 she has hunted with me every chance she gets. She shot her first hog, of many now, when she was age 5 and her fist deer at age 7.

This weekend we were invited to hunt a buddy's place in Pearsall and he mentioned having a big 7 point on his trail cam. My daughter was all over it. We sat where he was frequenting Friday night but he did not show. One of the other hunters mentioned seeing a big 7 in an oat field not far from us. We sat there the next day in the morning with no action and decided to sit there again in the evening. About 6:30pm the deer switch was thrown and they came trickling into the field, does at first then young bucks then OUR buck. He walked in at 350 yards. I explained to her that he was as far out as he could be and would feed closer. He did just that. By 6:45 he was 115 yards from us feeding behind a group of does. She got the gun out the window and set up on him. Something got his attention out in the field and he held his head up for a few seconds, a fatal mistake. She is a great shot and knows animal anatomy well. At 111 yards she put a 70gr TSX through his neck. It hit the bone directly, shattering it and cutting his jugular. His head flew back violently and he fell in a heap. She started shaking so badly I thought my rifle was heading out the window for sure. After he did not move for several minutes it was off to get our hands on him. First thing she did when she got up to him was get a handful of oats and put one bunch on him and the other in his mouth, it made me proud. She skinned and butchered him all by herself, her first animal to totally do herself. It took her almost 2.5 hours but she was determined to finish. I let her even though I wanted to eat and go to bed.
It was a great weekend with great experiences and many memories made.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Congrats to BOTH of you! That smile in the first photo nearly tells the entire story right there. That was some great shooting on your daughter's part as well. tu2 tu2

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Perry
That is some great stuff! It heartens me to know that so many of us are raising our kids right!

Tell your daughter that she is doing a great job as a role-model for my daughter.

Great stuff!

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats a fine buck for a fine young lady. tu2

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to a fine hunter with a fine deer and equally congrats to her Father for the fine job he is doing. tu2

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
First thing she did when she got up to him was get a handful of oats and put one bunch on him and the other in his mouth, it made me proud

Your Daughter knows the Teutonic Tradition well; "The Last Bite"!

"Waidmannsheil" to you both.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice nothing like see your kids shoot game.

Posts: 19615 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Congratulations to a fine hunter with a fine deer and equally congrats to her Father for the fine job he is doing. tu2

Very true.

Wish both of you all the best.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ya that is a good one, Way to go.

Posts: 987 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats to you and your daughter, a wonderful way to bond. like Hank Jr. sings ""... its a family tradition" ( altough his lyrics were more in the saloon than hunting field, I refer to it in a good way!)

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Good job on the deer by your daughter, Good Job to Dad for raising such a good kid. tu2 tu2

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Awesome!!!

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to you both... nice buck!

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to the young Huntress....And you to Dad...Good stuff!!

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
and; God bless Texas. Love the shirt and boots and the freedom of thought they represent. Way to go Dad and daughter. A relationship formed strong!

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way to go!

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just-a-hunter:
...and fine boots...!

Todd

Ha, you obviously have a daughter to notice that! I'll pass it on to her, she'll be thrilled (as will her mama).

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentlemen for all the kind words!

Perry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bet Dad was smiling even bigger. Nice Buck!

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome buck, and awesome hunter! Big Congrats!!!

Posts: 564 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Great job. Nice buck.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2508 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Fantastic hunting story! You must be a very proud dad!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11246 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Outstanding job, Dad!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Real nice. Very well done.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent.That buck got some good fat on him.Should be a good eater.Congrats to your daughter!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
CONGRATS!!! tu2

I love the story part where she was shaking. My wife did the same thing with her first deer. Big Grin

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 599 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Cute little hunter, cool rifle, very nice buck. What is not to like? Congratulations to the hunter and to dad for doing it right.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's just freaking awesome.....congrats to you both! Great pics.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give her my congratulations and pat yourself on the back for introducing a new hunter into the fold.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Stud of a seven point! Pass on my well deserved congratulations for such a fine deer and well placed shot.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
EXCELLENT clap

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Congrats.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
That is fantastic. Proof that some trophies can not be measured with a tape ... even though that is one monster 7! I am sure both of you will not soon forget this experience.

I can only imagine how proud you are of her.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote