New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wyoming antelope unit 26
 Login/Join

<Pygmy>
posted
I've applies for a leftover antelope tag in Wyoming unit 26...

Is anyone familiar with hunting opportunities in that unit..??....

I'd appreciate info you want to share...

one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Mostly Private land thats why tags left over.
I killed a 15 1/2" buck last year.Saw alot of
goats and good bucks.Find a place to hunt early..
not alot of public land.
Jeff

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mostly corporate ranches,so you'll pay through the ass to hunt. Texaco is a major land holder in the area,so unless you're the ceo or some shit,get the check book out. There's a few people around that allow hunting,but most of the ranches that do are well hunted.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Pygmy>
posted
Thanks for the prompt replies...If you wouldn't mind sharing some specific ranches that you know allow hunting , Please email me ..... clark280@aol.com.

[ 07-16-2003, 06:36: Message edited by: Pygmy ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
The responses you have received are right and wrong as usual.

Area 26 is mostly privately owned ranches, but there are a lot of them that allow hunting for reasonable access fees.

I hunted area 26 about 3 or 4 years ago for an access fee of $150. I did not think that this was unreasonable at all.

We saw a fair number of antelope, though no where near the numbers or the quality we usually see when hunting down near Rawlins, Wyoming.

I killed a buck of nearly 14 inches and was satisfied with the hunt. We had driven through a terrible blizzard to get there, it was cold and windy, and my buddy got sick and I had to take him to the hospital. All, in all, we were lucky, we collected 3 nice antelope out of 4 hunters. The guy who did not fill his tag was too sick to care if he ever saw an antelope.

The state of Wyoming can provide you with a list of land owners. I have one here someplace but am not sure just where it might be right now.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rflowers is right. Start by contacting the fish and game office in the area you are hunting.
They can send you a list of land owners in the area which will let you hunt normally for a small access fee.

Posts: 162 | Location: Boise | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pygmy -- call the Chamber of Commerce in Douglas, WY. They maintain a list of ranches that allow hunting. The town of Dougls maintains a downtown city park with RV/camping facilities for hunters -- to the point of providing A-frames for hanging and skinning game. You might say the community is hunter-friendly! You do want to make your arrangements well in advance. Asking around when you get there will be too late. My wife, daughter and I took 10 or 12 speedgoats in Unit 26 in the mid-90's, when we lived in Colorado. There are still a few pieces of public land (National Grassland) in Unit 26, but access can be limited, and they get hunted pretty hard. They can also be a trifle difficult to distinguish from surrounding private ranchland.

Some nice folks ranching in that country; by starting now you should be able to find a place to hunt.

Posts: 119 | Location: Ketchikan, AK USA | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote
<Pygmy>
posted
Thanks for all the input...

No luck yet but I have lots of phone numbers to try...