New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to hunt Elk
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can anyone recommend a good state and outfitter to go on an Elk hunt. We are looking for a rifle hunt with a good chance at a mature bull. Would also consider a drop camp affair IF the chances are good! Have never been on a drop camp elk hunt, but common sense tell me that they may not be very successful! Thanks.

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Find a guide that hunts the Bob Marshal wilderness in MT you can rifle hunt during the rut.

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reddy - you have a pm.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
How about Wyoming? I have a good outfit there, horseback hunts. They have aquired some new territory as well. Bull and cow elk. Chain, who posts here, got a nice bull with them.

~Ann

Posts: 19556 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wayfaring Stranger
posted Hide Post
If you want a big bull you need to look at draw hunts in AZ and NM. Fully guided would be the way to go with these because often drawing the tag is the hard part.

CO has the best numbers. ID, UT, WY and MT have a good mix of high success and size. You gotta ask what you want out of the hunt. Do you want a ranch hunt with hot food, showers and cabins, or do you want a wilderness adventure on horseback?

IF your gonna be rifle hunting I'd stay out of the thick forests of Northern ID and Western MT. SW Montana, Central and western WY and Central ID off the best places for rile hunting IMO.

If this is your first trip I'd reccommned fully guided for the first time, but find an outfitter that offers drop camps so if you find you like the outfit and the area has a high chance of sucess, you can come back and do a drop camp.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the 270 won't do it the .338 will, if the 338 won't I can't afford the hunt!

Posts: 320 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 29 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
What is your budget? I have a few good recommendations. I have a hunt you can go on with any weapon, during the bugle, and you should kill a 300-330 if you will hunt fairly hard, but you stay in a hotel, and eat decent food. Let me know if I can help...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote