New
Find
Notify
Tools

AZ desert sheep(pics added)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My sheep hunt in the Cabeza Prieta Wilderness is complete. Just over 30 miles hiked in 3 days. Ended up with a really nice 9-10 year old ram. Can't get enough service where I'm at to post pics through photobucket but if someone would like to help I'll glad email to you. Shot was just over 350 yards with a Proof Research 6.5 Creedmore shooting 140 gr A Max. Hit him straight on with the first shot and again with a hard quartering shot after he got back up. I was real fortunate to have 2 great friends along on the hunt and ended up with great video footage and pics. The Cabeza Prieta has to be the most inhospitable place I can think of outside of a city! Doing it without a guide was logistically difficult but the rewards were well worth it. Truly a once in a lifetime experience.

[IMG]http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af271
[URL=http://s1015.photobucket.com/user/AZhunter_photo/media/image.jpg6.jpg.html]

Posts: 150 | Location: Parks AZ | Registered: 31 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Well done. My slightly envious hat is off to you. It would be completely envious but I am reformed... Smiler

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
Posting a couple pics for Southwesthunter.

Congrats on a beautiful ram man!

Posts: 3049 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help with the pics Ty. I couldn't possibly be happier with how my hunt turned out. Very fortunate for the opportunity.

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Beautifull Ram,,,congratulations SW. Your right the country looks like a rockpile,I get thirsty looking at your pictures.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1414 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow is all I can think to say, as that is my dream hunt. Congrats to you all, and thanks for the fantastic pictures.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. My friend Chase (on the left) took all the pics. He's really talented and I've got probably a hundred great pics. Waterrat you are correct about the thirsty part! The only water in the unit comes from a few sheep drinkers. Because of that we hauled water a few miles in to a spike camp and hunted from there. Shooting a ram on the 3rd day kept water management from being an issue though.

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Beautiful ram.
Congrats

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1220 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Congratulations.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
ooooh - I like that ram! Beautiful sheep - congrats! tu2

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a great ram, congrats!
Has to be a good use for all those damned rocks somewhere!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's an awesome ram!
Congratulation on such a fine trophy.
Well done sheep hunter!
Zeke

PS: there's nothing quite like a desert sheep hunt and I've been blessed to hunt them a couple times and accompany many many family and friends on their hunts in Utah and Nevada.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smokin Ram! Great story. tu2

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very Nice!! Congrats of a great ram.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Very nice! A true bucket list hunt. Congratulations.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Ram. Congrats! Don't lay that rifle down in those rocks..you'll never find it..good camo for that environment.

Posts: 432 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Well done. Superb ram!

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Truly a once in a lifetime trophy! Well done!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
Great success. Desert hunts take good logistical planning. Well done!

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 865 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done my friend wish I could have joined you ! Now you need to come to MT for the BigHorn. How's the donkey doing ?

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
She's doing much better Tom. I think even though I started a week before the hunt it was the pellets. Has to be "seed free" feed so I went with pellets. Seemed to have her bound up. If I could get photobucket and my iPad to cooperate I'd add a few more pics! Ill be talking to you about that Rocky and hunt for sure.

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
Great old ram SW. Congratulations!!!

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote