New
Find
Notify
Tools

.257 nosler BT-100 gr.
 Login/Join

<CAL9 from planet Fargo>
posted
I'm reloading my 2506 for whitetails and plan on using Nolser ballistic tips. I bought some of both the 100 and 115 grain versions. Currrently, my most accurate load is with the 100 gr, over a healthy dose of Reloader 22. Is this gonna be enough bullet for deer? I used the Winchester Supreme 115 gr load a few years back and it performed well. Just wondering if I can expect performance as good with the 100s.

Thanks,

CAL

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have taken a dozen or so of our large canadian whitetails with my 257wby mag using 100 gr ballistic tips and was very pleased with the performance.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For many years I hunted with a 25-284 - basically duplicates 25-06 velocity. I shot many a deer and antelope ( from Montana) with 100 gr bullets - all brands- loaded to about 3300 fps - including one deer with a 100 gr round nose corelock - they are very effective killers - sometimes too much so - the high velocity bloodshots a lot of meat on the impact side - don't worry about a 100 gr Nosler. I shot a caribou in Alaska using a 117 gr Nosler - no longer made - dropped like it was hit by lightning. Go get em.

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
<257 AI>
posted
The first year I had my 257 Ackley I used the 100gr BT to kill a deer and an antelope. I will never again use a varmint bullet on big game. Both animals dropped when shot but I lost alot of meat due to bloodshot. I've since switched to 100gr Hornady Interlocks and I'm much happier. They are very accurate and have done alot less damage to the animals I've taken with them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I will never shoot another medium to large game animal with any 25 caliber bullet than the 120 grain Nosler Partition. I have had tremendous success with this bullet at 257 Roberts velocities. I am not knocking the BT's, I just can't see any need for them when the Partition works so well (100% 1 shot kills).

Paul

Posts: 105 | Location: Gulfport MS | Registered: 04 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Old Sarge a respected long term poster used to chip in around now with '25-06 and 100gr BTs kills like chain lightening' He appeared to know his stuff.

I use 100gr ballistic tips in my 6.5x55 at a rather pedestrian 2,900fps. They work extremely well on fallow up to 120lbs ready for the larder (largest I have access to) I never notice any less penetration than the 120gr version.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey'
I shoot a 25 Gibbs,and 85 grain ballistic tips.To much meat damage.switching away from those type of projectiles.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com [Wink]

<Eagle Eye>
posted
I only use 100 grain Nosler Partitions in my 25-06 for deer hunting. I get a chronograghed velocity of 3350 fps out of a 23" barrel. It is an extremely effective deer slayer and is very accurate. I have put one of these end to end through a mule deer so penentration sure isn't an issue.

My concern with Nosler Ballistic Tips is that I have had them come apart at close range in lessor cartridges (like the 308) and the 25-06 is a much hotter cartridge. Nosler recommended partitions above the mussle veolcity of 2900 fps. The BT would work fine at an easy through the ribs side on shot at 200 yards but what about that difficult placement situation that so often comes up.

<BigBores>
posted
Well,

My 2 cents is if the 100gr BT's group better than the 115's, then use them. My own experiences have been with 115gr BT's, they seem to fly better out of my rifle. I like the BC and SD of the 115 better than the 100 anyway.

That said, I must include that the deer out here in AZ are very small bodied whitetails, around 100-120 lbs. I have never had a problem with BT's in 243, 257 of course, 308, 30-06 or 338 in dropping deer. I let a good friend use my 257 roberts stoked with 115 BT's on a deer hunt, and he shot a very nice mule deer with it. It was larger bodied, I think it went about 160-180 lbs, and with a behind the shoulder lung shot, the deer ran about 50 yards before piling up.

So I guess you should consider the size of deer in your parts? Out here it makes sense to use the BT's and they work great. I'm not sure how well they would fair against a midwest corn fed 200+ pounder...I would probably opt for the 120 partition then.

<Dan in Wa>
posted
I wish you guys would try the Speer 100gr. Flat Base in your .25/06. Kills great, doesn't ruin any meat. Shoots great in 1 .257 Robt's and 4 .25/06's. Works for me and has for 20 plus years.

<DuaneinND>
posted

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the .257 100 gr ballistic tip to collect quite a few whitetails, they have dropped each deer with one shot to the lungs, but I belive their are better bullets for deer size game.

The Bal Tip is very explosive and doesn't penetrate as well as other bullets. I have shot deer with it at 100 yds to 350 yds and have yet to get full broadside penetration.

The speer 100 gr Hot Core and the Hornady Spire point are just as accurate, effective and penetrate better.

Posts: 47 | Location: Montana | Registered: 21 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Hoyt>
posted
Went to range today and tried the new 117grs Hornady SST's in my wby257 and they were very accurate. I also tried the new 95gr SST's in my wby 240mag and they shot even better....both loads approx. 3300fps.
Will use these bullets for whitetail this season.

<Eagle Eye>
posted
I tried SST's for one season...didn't get the penetration I demand. They seemed just as fragible as BT's.

<Hoyt>
posted
I've used the 139gr SST's in my 7-30Waters 14" Contender on 2 whitetail bucks..full penetration through both shoulders.. leg bones and all..on one and a heart shot on the other...4 other bucks with same bullet in 7mm-08 Mountain Rifle...all full penetration and no tracking job.
I was concerned...and still am.....about the high velocities with the 95 & 117grs SST's in my Wby 240 & 257 mags.. so called Hornady and they assured me the bullets would hold up on whitetail. I will see this season if everything goes right.

<Ol' Sarge>
posted
Hey 1894, I'm still here. Just too busy most of the time.

Thanks for the complement.

I do not know for sure, and I haven't sectioned a bullet or called Nosler, but I think the 100 grain .257 BT has the same jacket thickness as some of the heavier, larger cal. bullets out there. After shooting literally several dozens whitetail deer with them, I have came to the conclusion they are much tougher than their 140 or 150 grain 7MM or the 150 or 165 .308, which I have had fail miserably. I've never had the 100 grain .257 "blow up" or come apart. I have only recovered three that weren't complete pass-thrus. Those three were one spine shot at 21 paces and two neck shots at about 80 paces. All three were intact and mushroomed well. I load them with 56 grains of IMR4831 so they are plenty fast. I try for a broadside heart/lung shot, but have shot them thru one shoulder, two shoulders, neck, spine, head, and one Texas heart shot. Many times the angle was not optimum or what I thought it was. It doesn't matter though. If I hit the vitals they went down. I have yet to have a deer I shot with a .25-06 go more than about three hops. Most dropped in thier tracks. Ranges have been from 21 paces to well over 450 yards.

A .25-06 and 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips "kills like chain lightnin'."

<Dan in Wa>
posted
Hoyt,
Yes, I have had good luck with the plastic tip bullets in the short rifle calibers. I'm not bad mouthing them. I do have a 14" Contender and a 10"er and still use them. Kinda like the 6" Smith when I'm handgun hunting now. Don't care as much about the kill anymore. Even use cast bullets now.