THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Sierra Gameking HPBT - Any recent experience?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sierra Gameking HPBT - Any recent experience?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Did (or do) you use them? How do they perform on game? Thanks - Lorenzo

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
They perform well on game but are more heavily constructed than their spitzer counterparts. Accuracy has always been superb.

Posts: 9410 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last spring I used the 120 grain version of the Sierra HPBT in my 25-06 to shoot a couple of wild hogs. They were both boars of about 150 pounds. Both bullets made good clean killing shots and both gave complete penetration. Only a couple of animals but good performance on those two. Accuracy was indeed excellant as well.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ryan
posted Hide Post
I had poor results on elk with the 200 grain .30 cal. Penetration was so so and they fragmented badly. Out of 3 shots none exited. Shots where at moderate range 150-250 yards. I switched after that.

On the up side accuracy was incredible.

Posts: 81 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 28 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Much tougher. I think made for Mags. Supurbly accurate. capt david

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I had poor results on elk with the 200 grain .30 cal. Penetration was so so and they fragmented badly. Out of 3 shots none exited. Shots where at moderate range 150-250 yards. I switched after that.

On the up side accuracy was incredible.

200 grain .30 cal? The only HPBT .30 cal is 165 grains....

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This was some years ago. I used the .308 165 gr bullet as a deer load in .30-06 and .308. Accuracy was great - the bullet was easy to load for. Pretty forgiving in both calibers with several powders and charge weights.

Performance was spotty. I never lost an animal, but sometimes the bullet held together in a decent mushroom and sometimes it fragmented. That was fine for average sized deer where almost anything works. I wouldn't use them for anything bigger.

I generally use the Nosler BT now where I would have used these before.

Posts: 121 | Location: Reading, PA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ryan
posted Hide Post
Opps... sorry I ment to include that they where the SBT... Slightly different bullet.

Posts: 81 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 28 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wildboar
I have used the 165 Sierra Gameking HPBT in a 308 with 39.5gr. of IMR 3031 on several animals including deer antelope turkey fox, and bobcat. My wife also used it in a 30-06 drilling to bag a big deer. At one time this was my favorite bullet in the 308.
This bullet has performed very good for me in the past

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I loaded some for a fellow a few years past for his .300 Roy for his annual hunt up north. I wasn't there to verify his results but he seemed to think a few of them did not expand. Blood trail indicated leaks from both sides of the deer but he found no sign of substantial wounding as is common with that cartridge at the ranges involved(150 yds +/-). Three deer lost in one hunt, the first he'd lost in over 10 years, dispite ideal tracking conditions due to snow cover. Two others dropped in the tracks from what he described as explosive wounding.

I shot a hog once with a .257 Bob using the 90 gr version. 80 yards, big WHOP, dead pig. Bullet entered square on the left shoulder and did not exit, everything between the shoulders was jello. I don't much care what happens to hogs when I shoot them, they are the southern version of prairie dogs IMO, but the GK's leave me unimpressed in regards to terminal performance. They are accurate however.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Based on my experience with my "300Roy" and my 300 Win Mag and my experience with the 165 HPBT in the 308 and the 30-06 I would not use them in a Mag. For a 300 Mag I would recommend a Nosler Partition. For elk sized game and up even in the 308 I would go to a premium bullet. It is just a little bit extra for the insurance.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Would not use them. Sierra gamekings both HP and not have come apart on every occassion. Dead game for sure but huge meat loss and no jacket core integrity.

I only use Sierras for varmints. The only bullet company still in HUGE DENIAL about designing a PREMIUM bullet.

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
POP,

Face it; what could Sierra come out with that is better, let alone as good as, what's already out there?

An expanding monometal? Barnes, Groove Bullets, and GS have already done that.

A partitioned bullet? Nosler, Swift, and RWS have done that.

Bonded core? Bitterroot, Swift, Nosler, Hornady, and others have done it already.

Perhaps they are willing to cede that market to others, and concentrate on their varmint, match, and conventional bullets.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

POP,

Face it; what could Sierra come out with that is better, let alone as good as, what's already out there?

An expanding monometal? Barnes, Groove Bullets, and GS have already done that.

A partitioned bullet? Nosler, Swift, and RWS have done that.

Bonded core? Bitterroot, Swift, Nosler, Hornady, and others have done it already.

Perhaps they are willing to cede that market to others, and concentrate on their varmint, match, and conventional bullets.

George

That would make sense! I just get pissed at them. I called them up one day and asked them when are they going to wake up and smell the coffee and offer a premium (in a nice way that is)? The Sierra tech explained that Sierras are premium bullets. Hence the "DENIAL" factor in my previous post. What malakes!

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote