Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting hip holster recommendations?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,

Posted in handgun hunting, too, but thought it might get more looks here.

I'm looking at the following holsters for open carry while hunting. Hip holsters.

for Glock 10mm: Fobus paddle holster
for Ruger Redhawk 5.5": Hunter 1100 snap off belt holster
for Ruger Bisley Blackhawk SS 5.5": either Hunter 1082 Single Loop holster or TripleK 114 Cheyenne Western holster.

I'd appreciate comments, suggestions, recommended substitutions. Also, I'd especially like any comments on either of the 2 holsters I'm considering for the Blackhawk.

Looking for secure retention with easy availability. It's for backup in camp while black bear rifle hunting in grizzly/mountain lion/ wolf country. I may eventually also want to use the 10mm for IDPA type events.

Thanks,

Steve

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
skl1
I have found after 35+ years of carrying a handgun in the field that the best way to carry one is in a crossdraw holster.
With a crossdraw the handgun is easily avialable when seated, when wearing a coat or rain gear, and when wearing a pack. While
hunting it is the best method.
Let me add that I carry a handgun 24 hours a day "8" days a week, using the typical "strong" side carry. In the "field" I always go cross draw.
I use the De Santis thumb breakcross draw in the field with my S&W Mags.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NE450 No2,

Thanks for the info. I also prefer thumb-breaks, but they seem to be hard to find for the Rugers. I'll check the De Santis.

When are you hunting bears in Idaho? It was May, wasn't it? Got to be soon.

Can't wait to get out there. Please send me a report when you get back. I'm out there with my boys June 20-24.

Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
skl1
I will be hunting June 8-12 with Elk City adventures. As of now I think I still have 2 slots left. I have hunted with them twice before in Sept and taken one bear each time. It is a two bear area.
If anyone is interested let me know.
It is a fun hunt.

one of us
posted Hide Post
NE450 No2,

Based on your recommendation back in March, I booked with Joanie and Stitch, too. I just couldn't remember the dates. But my kids are in school until the 16th, so I'm going the 20th to the 24th.

Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
We will try not to shoot ALL the bears. Big Grin
You should have a good time. They are good people. That area is very pretty.
What gun are you going to use?

one of us
posted Hide Post
My boy's going to use a .45-70 Guide Gun. His younger brother's too young to get a bear license, but I got a "regular" license so he can carry his .22. Maybe we'll see a coyote.

I'm thinking I'll take my Model 70 .375H&H. I'm also considering the Kodiak .45-70 double rifle, my CZ 9.3x62, or my .300RUM. The .300RUM has already taken a lot of animals, but it's more weatherproof than any of the others. And I can shoot a long way with it. Probably won't have to on this trip, though.

Then I'm going to bring one (or more) of the three handguns. Might bring the bow, too.

Only 2 bears, if you guys leave any. So many guns, so few bears...

How about you?

Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
skl1
I think your 45/70 kodiak would be perfect.
I am going to use my Blaser R 93 in 375 H&H with 250 Trophy Bonded Bearclaws just so I can say I have taken a bear with the Blaser. I will probably take my 450/400 3 1/4" double.
In truth my 9,3x74r Chapuis is the perfect rifle, but I have taken 2 bears with it already.
My brother is using his 45/70 Marlin Guide Gun as his primary rifle with a 375 H&H SAKO Handy rifle as backup. One of my buddies is using a 308 mod & and another is using a 405 Win Encore. we will all have big bore revolver handguns, as is proper in bear country.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would have Stitch rig a couple of bait locations with 2 tree stands next to each other, thus you and your younger son could "hunt and shoot" together.
If you know what I mean. It is a 2 bear area.

one of us
posted Hide Post
NE 450 No2,

I had an outbreak of rust on a CZ and a Spanish shotgun about 6 months back. I have no idea why. I always clean my guns at the end of the day, and I never had a gun rust on me before. It was right after moving the guns back to the basement, and I was afraid I had a water problem or something. Nothing since (got a dehumidifier going). But it has me a little nervous about bringing out the Kodiak in the Idaho rain. Might go ahead though. My Browning O/U's seen more rain and saltwater than most guns probably ever do, and I've never had a problem.

I know what you mean about the tree stands. I got him the license so it'd be legal for him to be carrying a rifle. I'm back an forth on bringing the 6.5x55 along for that reason, too.

Have you seen any elk, moose, grizzly, wolf, mountain lion, muley's in your last hunts up there?

Joanie and Stitch said they hit the baits near the end of the day. Did you do any plinking during the early part of the day? Or any fishing?

Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not done any fishing. We have had elk bugling in camp in Sept. I have not hunted there in the Spring before. I think I would take the 6.5x55 just in case.

one of us
posted Hide Post
NE 450 no2

I can't wait. Please send me a scouting report when you get back.

Thanks for all the good advice

Steve

one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
I also favor a crossdraw for a backup pistol when hunting with a rifle. Galco makes a crossdraw hunting holster with a retention strap called the Single Action Outdoorsman (SAO). I carried a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk in one on last year's hunt and it carried well and securely. They also just introduced a Double Action Outdoorsman (DAO) for the Ruger Redhawk as well, I believe.

---
Eric Ching
"The pen is mightier than the sword...except in a swordfight."

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Slingster,

I'll take a look at those, too.

Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
skl1
I will not be back from my hunt until June 20 as after the hunt I have a "road trip" and a prairie dog hunt with 500grains.
I will try to send you a report if I can find an internet connection on my way from Elk City to Salt Lake City, or maybe when I get to Aleko,s store Heritage Arms in SLC.
I NEVER go through that part of the world without stopping in to see him.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Ski1, I believe the one I carry is an "Uncle Mike's" synthetic holster and a synthetic infinitely adjustable wide belt. Just looked at it and was very surprised to find a complete lack of identification on either the holster or belt. I'm fairly sure I've been using it for 28-29 years.

The recommendations I'd have start out as somewhat similar to NE 450 No2. I like to use it on my right side(I'm right handed) in a normal position as I'm walking or climbing. When I sling my rifle butt-up, the barrel will move into position right behind the Hogue Grip and keep the rifle from moving around.

Once I get settled either sitting on the ground or in a Stand, I slide the holster around the belt so it is in the cross-draw position. By using the right hand holster, as I slide it around to the cross-draw position, the grips are properly positioned forward on my left side.

If you go this route, do not cut the belt off to fit you. Leave it long and position the extra length so it is on the Buckle end. The Buckle "slides" on the belt and allows the excess to be out of the way. Then when winter comes around, you can lengthen the belt back out so it will fit over your coat.

I prefer the holster and belt to be completely separate from my regular belt "for hunting". Easy to put on, easy to adjust and easy to get off. And the synthetic holster and belt do not "squeek" like leather which is nice if your game is real close.

I have one leather holster that I wear with a 45ACP and it goes on my regular belt with my pants. But I don't wear it while hunting. But the selection between leather and synthetic is rather a personal issue and you need to pick what you will like the best for your needs.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After 20 years of daily carrying of a full-sized handgun I have to say I've never found a shoulder holster comfortable. A good quality strong side hip holster has always been my preference. I've spent a ton of money on many types of holsters over the years and always find myself going back to the thumbsnap hip holster. The one I've been wearing for several years now for my M629 is a Safariland thumbsnap. Wear it on a good 2" heavy leather belt and you don't even notice the gun is there.

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
This is my favorite holster for carrying a handgun in the field. It's readily available, out of the way when you you're carrying your rifle and you can wear it with a backpack.

http://www.mernickleholsters.com/sh/sh7b.html

Pete

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I'm carrying a large calibre handgun while hunting, I use a leather shoulder holster. I've found over many years hunting/treking out in the boonies, that it works best for me. The shoulder holster keeps the handgun handy, yet out of the way.

Worn openly?? Get a bigger harness.

JMHO. L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NE 450 no 2,

I understand. Send me an e-mail if you get the chance. Have fun shooting prairie dogs. I haven't ever been to Heritage Arms (actually, I don't think I've been in SLC), but I know what you mean about finding a neat gun store and trying to hit it whenever you end up in that city.

Hot Core, sounds like a neat setup. I looked at Uncle Mike's site, and it appears they have various rigs, and you pick the right holster size in that rig for your gun. I like the idea of a repositionable belt, but I also want a stiff enough holster/belt that it can be drawn one-handed and it comes out without the rig trying to follow the gun. I think you can probably do this with a stiff adjustable belt.

458 RugerNo1, talentrec, and Leanwolff, thanks for the suggestions. I used hip and shoulder rigs in the service, and I liked them both. But the shoulder rigs were a pain to readjust when you kept layering/unlayering. Given the temp and rain variations they're talking about in Idaho, I think I'm better off this trip with a hip holster.

Speaking of rain, how do the leather holsters do in extended rain? I suppose you need to get a holster with an open bottom?

Steve