New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weaver scopes quality control?
 Login/Join

<ringneck>
posted
I was wondering if anyone else has had trouble with weaver scopes or if I got the Lemon? I put a new 3x9 on my 7x57 for deer season. I shot it about 30 times before hunting and it sighted in fine. During deer season I shot a buck which was quartering towards me. I held on the shoulder and he took off at the shot. Profuse blood trail for 1/4 mile then petering out to nothing. It was a muscle wound. At first I thought the bullet blew up on the shoulder but I decided to check it out at the range. It wouldn't even hit paper. It was hitting 15 inches to the right! I probably hit the deer towards the rear end but I'll never know as I didn't recover the deer. I checked all screws on the gun and mounts. Everything was fine. I screwed off the adjustment cap and the whole adjustment assembly came off in my hand. I checked the other assembly and it was loose also. I unscrewed it with finger pressure. This doesn't build my confidence in Weaver products and shows that I shouldn't have strayed from Leupold. The scope has been fixed and returned but I don't trust it. I know all scopes have troubles but this was preventable. Expensive lesson and a fine animal lost.

Shawn

<Bill>
posted
Don't feel bad, I have seen some big screw ups from leupold, they have a good rep, but they do make many mistakes.

I have seen two vari X 2 scopes in 3-9 that did not have a functional magnification adjustment. I have also recieved and tried to install numerous rings that were not threded on the bottom half.

I own and dislike a weaver grand slam, but do like their cheper scopes.

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com

Save a plant, shoot a deer!

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited 01-18-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't blame you for not trusting it. Sell it to me..........:d

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Chainsaw>
posted
ringneck, I own 4 Weaver Classic series scopes and had a problem with one after disassembling a single shot rifle to place it in my long backpack with my hunting stand clothes. Upon dragging a deer two miles to my vehicle, exhausted I dropped the bag from my shoulder to the ground only to have the scope land on a big flat rock with 1/2" of snow on it. The seal broke but the adjustment was still right. I sent the scope along with 7 dollars to Weaver Repair in Ga. and it was gone thru. I would give the Weaver a good review.

The only Leupold I own a VariX3 in 1.5-5x20mm just was returned by Leupold after being serviced for point of impact problems thru the range of magnification.

Thats the view from here----------Chainsaw

<Reloader66>
posted
Perspective is a key issue for you to consider. The best scopes on occasion can fail. The percent of failure is very minor, less than 1/2 of 1% percent of the total number sold and in service. Now the cheap scopes track record is far worse. A Classic Example is Simmons scopes fail at a rate of 50% of all scopes sold. That means for every 100 sold 50 must be returned for repair or replacemnet in their first year of use. The reason is simple, inferior material and worksmanship. Weaver is a well made medium priced scope that gives good service with much fewer failures that the Simmons scopes track record. Tasco scopes are noow 100% China made and are not of the quality they once were. Leupold, Burris, and shepherd scopes are the top American made scopes. Leupold does get some of their scope lens from Japan. Their failure rates is almost none with that rare failure that is always repaired with a speedy fix and return to the customer no charge. It is not possible to produce a top quality scope for a $39.95 and to think you will get one is a shooter living in a dream world. The less expensive scopes have thin walled scope tubes with poor quality moving parts that will fail very soon with much use. The cheap scopes will work fine on 22 rimfire rifle for a longer time but moderate to heavy recoil will kill them very soon. When you see made in China on the scope box be prepaired to have major problems down the road and soon after purchase. American made scopes are produced from very strong quality components and last years with few repairs ever needed just like Ziess and Sawarsky.

<Ranger Dave>
posted
I own a Bushnell Buckhorn 3-9x32. I bought it for my M70 30-06. It couldn't handle the recoil. It never hit the same point twice. I put it on my Savage FV64 22 and it has been working fine for 3 years now.
I am considering a Weaver scope for my new 10/22.