New
Find
Notify
Tools

Self guided moose in Alaska
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What would my possibilities of taking a decent moose on a self guided hunt in alaska be?
Do they allow self guided grizzly hunts?

I am very fit, but have never visited the US or Canada, most of my hunting as been in Africa, Australia and Europe.

What can a hunter do, or take adventage of which means, to improve his possabilities on such a hunt?

Thanks all.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I spent 4 years in the interior (Fairbanks) and was successful on moose every year I hunted (3). The key is research. The populations vary over the decades, so the spot someone killed a nice moose in 1992 may not be a good spot now. Contact Fish and Game for recommendations. Chris Batin wrote a book on hunting in AK and runs an advisory service. The book is must read, but I do not know about his service. Reseach, research, research and hard hunting will pay off.

Nonresidents can not hunt Grizzly, sheep and goats without a guide.

[ 11-12-2002, 19:36: Message edited by: redleg172 ]

Posts: 152 | Location: Carlisle. PA | Registered: 25 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
EXPRESS

Be aware of the difference between the terms NON-RESIDENT and ALIENS or FOREIGNORS. Non-resident basically means from a different State in the USA. I once researched hunting there and saw all of these really cheap non-resident prices for permits etc. Wow I thought! Then I found out that foreignors were not eligible and that a pound (read a TONNE) of flesh was required. Got to line some middlemans pockets I guess.

I do not know for sure but I believe foreignors can not legally hunt in Alaska without a guide. Of course I have heard of Aussies doing some hunting with friends.

But maybe someone who actually knows can provide some concrete info. Good luck.

[ 11-12-2002, 19:48: Message edited by: NitroX ]

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
EXPRESS....hunting moose on your own can be a daunting task as large bulls can get as large as 1600 lbs. Alaska law requries you to recover all the meat before you can recover the antlers and without help or mechanized equipment you can be looking at days of work. You also need to worry about security as bear love moose kills and every return trip to pack meat can be an adventure as you not only need to work but keep an eye out for bear including the hike with a load of meat back to camp...plus of course you need to secure the meat there also. And, you can be in big trouble if you shoot a bear in self-defense as the Fish & Game will investigate and the burden of proof will be on you.

One thing you might consider is a float trip down one of the rivers...you get to see a lot of country and you can hire someone to help you out. They can't assist you in taking game in any way but the extra hands can make camp life easier and provide a margin of safety. Regulations on this are strict and should be read and understood carefully. I would also suggest a group of 4 or at least 2 can do this trip and make it a lot of fun...you would need multiple rafts but your chances of sucess would be a lot better. Many of the air-taxi companies will provide this service for you.

Additionally as a non-US citizen there may be other restrictions on you.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
As a non-residient alien you cannot hunt in Alaska without a guide.

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Express, I've only fished and backpacked through parts of Alaska, haven't hunted there. The sheer amount of land there is daunting. Have seen huge moose. Have also seen an amazing amount of really big bear, and they were not shy around people. I would love to hunt Alaska someday, but I want to go with a small, well armed group that knows what they're doing. It's hard to describe how many bear, and how big they get, particularly along the coast during the salmon runs. It would be real easy to get into trouble with a big bad bear. Regards, Guy

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Express, Gator is right. Non-res aliens cannot hunt biggame without a guide in AK.

Posts: 204 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does Anyone know the answer to this question:

Can Non-residents hunt without the use of a guide if they hunt with a resident?

thanks

RH

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rock,
non-res can not hunt griz/brown, sheep and goats with out the use of a guide unless a resident of the state is 2nd degree kindred. In other words if you have a friend up here he can not "guide" you to the above critters. It has to be father, son, mother, etc........
Other critters (moose, bou blackies etc) you can hunt on your own.

non-res aliens have to have a guide for all biggame.

Posts: 204 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rockhead, I'm sure we can get Steve in Anchorage to adopt us.

quote:
Originally posted by rockhead:
Does Anyone know the answer to this question:

Can Non-residents hunt without the use of a guide if they hunt with a resident?

thanks

RH

Posts: 207 | Location: Nicolet National Forest, WI, USA | Registered: 21 January 2002Reply With Quote