New
Find
Notify
Tools

Agree or Disagree?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DB - I DO know who these guys are and I'm not about to argue with them. They have forgotten more about the subject than I ever knew.

I'm convinced. Pecos45

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DB Bill--- thanks for the followup .

Looks like maybe the B.S. initials should be tagged onto a few other individuals' names , rather than J. Barsness .

[ 11-12-2002, 16:13: Message edited by: sdgunslinger ]

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Flames, like muzzle flash, are only hot expanding gasses.

As long as gasses are expanding, they are cooling.

The term "properly loaded" is itself loaded, because:

-It does not take into consideratioon the barrel length (what about snubbies?);

-It does not consider the efficiency differences in various cartridge designs, not to mention chamber and rifling differences;

-It is totally objective, because quite often, a "proper load" for impressing freinds and small children consists of a light, loose bullet, a huge charge of really slow powder, a short barrel and a great big ugly flameball [Big Grin]

Posts: 1646 | Location: Euless, TX | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ScottB.......when I read your post I was a litle confused by it so I went and looked at your other posts.

I read them until I could feel my IQ start to slip and then figured out why I was confused........you're an amiable idiot who doesn't let not having anything to say stop him.

Keep up the good work .... there are still a few posters you actually make look smart.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, I try, you know [Big Grin]

Posts: 1646 | Location: Euless, TX | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Barsness has penned a lot of stuff that I don't agree with, just because he is a gun writter doesn't count a lot with me, sometimes they too are wrong...I wouldn't argue this case but I have known some real dips in that business...they don't get Godly status with me...unless they earn it. Just my take alone, I speak for no one else.

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
With turbos....
That's what intercoolers are for, both on gas and diesel engines... but not required, just more efficent. Maybe that's why the PPC's and BR's seem like they have turbos and are more efficent for their size.
Just more gas for the flames. Or maybe this WAY off topic.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray...I agree about what you said for most writers but I think Dr Ken Howell and Homer Powley have more than stood the test of time.

Ken, like many of us, can be a little touchy at times but I can't think of a single person whose knowledge and opinions I would trust more than his when it comes to firearms.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is the load i plan to use for my 505 Gibbs, 24 in. barrel, in order to see if i get lower muzzle "stuff" as simulated in Quickload:
122g XMR4350 525g Woodleigh FMJ

code:
distance down   %powder burned
barrel (in.)

2.5" 0%
5.0" 49%
10" 83%
20" 97%
24" 100%

Since this is a figment of a computer's imagination [Big Grin] , i do not know if this is anywhere close as i have not yet verified the simulations.

regards,

Posts: 359 | Location: Florissant, Colorado  | Registered: 29 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve505....just remember that your primer is at the 0.0" point in your barrel so that big horse of a cartridge you're shooting has the bullet already several inches "down" the barrel while it's just sitting there.

<MachV>
posted
Interesting post so far.Got a ? as long as we are brainstorming.Last weekend I had the 15" Ancore in 454Casual out @ dusk we observed a funny thing.I was shooting
45lc,230grain cast bullets,10g of 231
45lc,260grain jsp,18g of 2400
454 casual,300g jsp,35g of H110
So witch one do you think had the most muzzle flash? & why?BIG difference between the loads=CJ