Find
Notify
Tools

NEW MEXICO CAST AND BLAST
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted
I really enjoyed my "Obama" inspired safari this year to New Mexico. I was scheduled for an Australian buffalo hunt but decided to put it off for one year.

I drove over to NM in my truck from Missouri. This drive was primarily just through Oklahoma. I went through Enid with the thought of stopping in to Champlins but they were not open. Enid is .... well, I think I know what makes George so grumpy.

Along the way one rancher in the panhandle had erected this Dall sheep statue. Dont know why.

This downtown should be a shoo-in for the worst business district renovation award if there is such a thing.

Did you know there were once volcanoes in New Mexico? Capulin is about 60,000 years old and near Raton.

I stopped by the NRA Whittington center and was very disappointed with the staff attitude - they apparently could care less about visitors.

Next stop was Eagle Nest and a couple days fishing the Cimarron river which reportedly has more wild browns per mile than any river in the US except the Madison.

I didn't catch any big ones but did catch 33 in about 6 hours of fishing.

Then on to Springer to meet up with my outfitter Jared Aguilar who posted this hunt on AR. He posts under NMpistolero and his email is sheepcrazy@aol.com. I was very pleased with Jareds hard work and would recommend him to anyone. Ph. 575-649-8001.

On the first day it rained enough to drive us off the ranch and back to the only motel in the area.

Here is Jared glassing off a mesa on the ranch. Notice the perfect match of his camo to the surroundings...well except the handkerchief. I assume that is just to give the goats a fair chance.

The next day dawned bright and sunny and goats were out everywhere you looked. I got an average one for the area but greatly enjoyed the hunt and the trip.

The hill in the background is where I took the 347 yd shot and the blood in the foreground is where he went down.

Jared has elk hunts and mule deer hunts posted on AR also. This guy can be trusted to work very hard for you. I highly recommend him.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great trip and great post! Congrats.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great trip! I have been to Eagles Nest and really enjoy that part of the world.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting, and nice pics, as usual, Palmer.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice lope. Looks to have really nice cutters.
Note - no one has ever said 'New Mexico' and 'God's Country' in the same sentence. LOL
Thanks for the pics. Enjoyed them.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking goat.
I have always thought a cast and blast out West in the fall would be a great adventure.

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have always thought a cast and blast out West in the fall would be a great adventure.

I am going to do more of it. To me it is just as much fun as any plains game hunt in Africa (I have been on 10 safaris to Africa) and its totally free range and costs a little less.

There are a lot of other advantages such as everyone speaking the language (well maybe), no malaria and you can pick up and go home or extend your trip whenever you want to.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

I see it shining plain,
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

one of us
posted Hide Post
nice write-up Palmer, like the pics and the fact you mixed in a little fishing as well....looks like a great trip; by the way, what does DRSS stand for?? I've seen it in other posts and always wondered....

Best Regards,
Craig Nolan

Best Regards,

Craig Nolan

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Craig,
DRSS is an society of double rifle shooters formed by some of the fellows on this site, most of whom post under the Double Rifles forum.

It stands for Double Rifle Shooters Society. The last thing I knew you could be a member by owning or just shooting a double rifle however I also heard the suggestion that anyone who wanted to shoot one could be a member! Dont take that to the bank however as I am certainly not the authority on it. Its an easy going bunch for the most part.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

I see it shining plain,
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanx Palmer, as stated I'd always wondered about that..

sounds like a great excuse to buy another rifle: "Honey, I HAD to drop 12K on this Searcy double, can't join the DRSS without it!!" Big Grin

Again, great hunt and pics, take care...

Best Regards,
Craig Nolan

Best Regards,

Craig Nolan

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
If that goat is average for the area, they have exceptional antelope. For western Wyoming, that would be a very good trophy!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
Great write up and photos!

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote