Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping ammo
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted
Does anyone know how much ammo can be shipped from one person to another? I need to ship some 223 ammo I put together to a friend in Idaho. Probably will use either UPS or FedEx.

Thanks,

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our local UPS would not allow any ammo. Even if it had proper labeling. Liability they claimed. But I know you can. I get 1000 round cases all the time. Might be some thing on the UPS website.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
UPS in Colorado Springs never questioned the quantity of ammo I was shipping they only stated that it goes with ORMD stickers on it and ships ground.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Doesn't Midway ship ammo with UPS?

For what it's worth, I gave up on UPS a long time ago. I use either USPS or FedEx whenever possible.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I've shipped ammo with UPS several times. No problem as long as it has the ORMD stickers on it and as stated, it goes ground. Several times, I haven't had the stickers. UPS advised me to simply write "ORMD Small Arms Ammunition" on every side of the box with a heavy felt tip marker.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

Graybird

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ORMD works fine.I just shipped loaded ammo with UPS no problems.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe this will help. With UPS many of their stores are locally or independently run. And some will flatly not ship a gun or ammo. I suppose the main reason is they prefer that being done at a location where they know the personnel will be knowledgeable on the subject. But, they will tell you or the 800 number will tell you a central UPS location where it IS done. In my city that location is out near the airport and I've shipped there both handguns and long guns.

Do call first and find out how they expect you to handle this. It is something to look into before showing up at just any location with guns or ammo.

Also, make sure you understand the new rules now in effect for "Limited Quantity" labels and the phase out of "ORM-D" labels for shipping ammo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is not difficult.
However you might want to do a little reading.

Here is some info on shipping ORMD

http://www.adazonusa.com/howto...tionorammo-a-45.html

Pack the ammo well, label with ORM-D small arms/cartridges label and take to a UPS distribution center rather than one of their postal or strip center units.
Sometimes the front line folk will tell you that you can't ship ammo. If that happens ask to speak to a supervisor, or have the 800 number handy so the line person can speak to someone that knows the rules.

Here is an acceptable ORMD label.

Right click on the image with your mouse/cursor, you will see a "save image as"
save the image to your downloads folder. Then at the appropriate time print it as a label for you package. You can adjust the size of the label using the page setup function of your printer.

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
The best way to get around the independent operators who may or may not accept guns or ammo for shipment is to schedule a pick up at your location. That way, a UPS driver employed directly by the company accepts the package.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen!

Graybird