Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Hunter....battery advise?
 Login/Join

posted
I have been hunting for a while but every rifle I shoot belongs to someone in my family. I'd like to get my own and would appreciate y'all's advice.

99% of my hunting is Texas Hill Country white-tailed deer (well under 200 pounds on the hoof and shots are rarely over 100 yards)

I expect to make a few trips to west Texas for Aoudad in the mountains, mule deer, and pronghorn antelope.

I'd like to go to Alaska for Dall Sheep.

What cartridge(s) would y'all recommend? I'd prefer less to more, commonly available cartidges.

One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
I prefer gadgets that take AA batteries myself, buy em' by the 40 pack for around $11 or so. Big Grin

As for a rifle a 7mm-08 or a .308 will do all you need.

So will a .270 or a .280.

As will a 30-06, or maybe a 7mm Rem. Mag.

Or a .260, but a 6.5x55 would work too.

.257 Roberts or a 25-06 would each be a fine choice.

Any of the above or any of a couple dozen others would be a good choice.

I hope that clears things up. lol

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Spend some real money on the scope, do not spend your entire budget on the gun.

Get a Zeiss or Leupold, the scope is where the rubber meets the road, so to speak.

Then buy a quality 30-06 and be done with it.

You are ready for the world. When the Elephant and Cape Buffalo come knocking, then you can address the second gun.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Wendell is right if you have a 30/06 you have it all covered. More wise words from Wendell about getting a good scope. I've had a 30/06 with a Leupold 3-9x40 on it for years and years and it is hard to beat. Nothing is safe if I have that rifle in my hands!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
What Wendell said. Zeiss conquest is a great scope for the money, swarovski 1" even better, or if you can afford it go for the 30mm swaros. If you can't see it, you can't kill it.

The 30-06 is an awesome caliber. Versatile, ammo universally available. It will kill all you want to hunt, and then some. Grizzly is about the only thing in North America you may feel under gunned.

And remember, your next trip is a perfect excuse to buy another gun.

Good luck!

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always tell the kids in my hunter safety class to buy the very best binoculars, rifle scope, and boots that they can and worry about the rifle last. I get a lot of deer in the headlights looks from 12 year olds starting out in the field, but I figure it will soak in someday.
Wendell is right abut the 30-06. It is the pre-eminant all around cartridge. Elenor O'Conner, Jack's wife killed an elephant with a 30-06 many years ago. NO it's not prudent, but it did the job. I have a friend who managed a cattle station in the northern territories for several years. He killed untold numbers of water buffalo and bruch bulls with beat up Savage 110 bolt in 30-06.
Not very romantic and doesn't help gun companies sell more STUFF but it is a heck of a cartridge. Seems to have taken out quite a few Germans, Italians, and Japs some years ago too.

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
This was the same advise I received when buying my first rifle. Get a 30-06 with a good scope on it. there is a wide variety of factory ammo and if you reload there is a very broad selection of bullets. You can consider another rifle if you find yourself with an opportunity to hunt larger game in the future.

I'm still not much of a collector and only have three rifles, a 257 Wby for smaller game, my '06 for just about anything and my "over gunned" 338-378 Wby for just about anything from elk on up. Make no mistake, my '06 is either primary or backup on every hunt.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
So what guns have you been shooting and which one do you like the best?

Like the guys above, I always tell folks that ask me that question to budget all you can for the rifle and then double that for the scope.

For me, 270 is the perfect first caliber followed by 30-06.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
If you are to own only one rifle the 30-06 is hard to beat for deer,elk, black bear hogs, etc.
Quality ammunition is readily available anywhere in a number of bullet weights .

I agree on optics, buy good to great optics, I prefer a 1.5 to 6 , on a general purpose rifle, though it appears the higher power variables are more popular these days.

Most shots will be 300 yds or less and the '06 is quite up to the task with a low power variable.

I like the Burris 1.5 - 6 for the money, though I also own premium (translated Expensive)european glass.

The IOR 8 x 40 binocs are also great for the dollar.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer D cells in my flashlight.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Interstate makes the best batteries period! jumping

Hard to argue against the recommendations given so far. I'd still prefer the .270 Win over the .30-06, but I'm just biased that way sorry Snellstrom! It is almost as popular as the trusty 06 anyway.

I like Leupold for optics 1.75-6, 2-7, and 2.5-8 are my favorite power ranges for hunting optics VXII and VXIII/3 of course. Zeiss is probably a little better but they don't look as nice on top of my rifles as Leupold (little snobish on my part). Swarovski are nice but out of my budget. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
add one more, 06 and leupold vote

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .270 is the perfect Texas caliber. That said, if you like light, handy rifles, the 7mm/08 or the .308 will be a better choice. But the .270/.30-06/7mm-08/.308 are all about equally effective on game and all have good ammo availability.

I would find the rifle first, and then worry about caliber.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd look at a Tikka T3, alot to gun for the money, topped w/a Nikon Monarch...if you want one combo for all that game listed I'd go w/a 4-12 unless you've got great distance vision.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:

Blasphemer !!!!

"Be done with it" he says. Eeker

And that coming from a Texan shame

A phrase like "You can start there" is far more appropriate than "Be done with it".

That implies a guy only needs one rifle.

Who ever heard of such tripe. Mad

What if someone's wife looks over his shoulder and reads such a thing...................

When we all know there is a vital need for at least 4 rifles for each purpose, ie; edible small game, varmints, deer sized game, elk sized game and so on.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
How careless of me! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
The 30-06, 270 (even though I hate the 270), 280, 7mm-08, 308, and 7x57 or 8x57 are cartridges I would choose (excepting the 270, for personal hatred). Any of these are fairly capable at any big game animal in Texas. And even the 270 and 7mm-08 are strong enough for any whitetail, mule deer, aoudad, wildhog, javelina, and so on that you will come across.

I agree with Wendell, I don't know what you want to spend but here are some options of good combos:

Under $1000!
Zeiss 3-9x42 Conquest $400
Howa, Tikka T3, Savage 110, or Weatherby Vanguard $400-600

Under $1500
Zeiss 3-12x56 Conquest, Trijcon 2.5-10x56, Burris Euro 3-12x56, or Nikon Monarch Gold $500-1000
Howa, Tikka T3, Savage 110, Weatherby Vanguard, and maybe a Ruger M77 or a Remington M700 $400-800

Under $2000
Zeiss 3-12x56 Conquest, Trijcon 2.5-10x56, Burris Euro 3-12x56, or Nikon Monarch Gold $500-1000
Weatherby Sub-Moa Vanguard, Remington M700 or M7 with upgraded furniture, almost any Ruger, a few Sako M85s

Under $2500
Swarovski PH 3-12x56, Ziess 3-12x56 Divari, Schmidt Bender Classic Hunter 3-12x56 $1500
Weatherby Sub-Moa Vanguard, Remington M700 or M7 with upgraded furniture, almost any Ruger, a few Sako M85s under $1000

Under $3000
Swarovski PH 3-12x56, Ziess 3-12x56 Divari, Schmidt Bender Classic Hunter 3-12x56 $1500
Sako M85, Weatherby MkV, Remington Sendaro or Alaska

Under $6000
Swarovski Z6 1.7-10x42 or 2-12x50, Ziess 3-12x56 Divari, Schmidt Bender Zenith 2.5-10x56 or 3-12x50 $1500-2000
Blaser R93 or K95, Heym SR30 or SR21, Mauser M03, Merkel KR1 or K1, HS Precision, Ed Brown, Sauer 202.

Lots of choices out there.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Ok, a feller needs 4 guns, pretty much can not survive without the 4 essential firearms:

.22 or .22 mag
30-06
12 ga
.45 or .40 S&W or .357

Addition guns only improve ones quality of life.

(was theat better skinner? Big Grin )

One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
was theat better skinner?

No.

It's like saying that you and your wife have decided to have only 2 children, therefore it is only necessary to engage in sexual intercourse twice.

shame

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Texas and my first rifle was a .30-06. Great caliber for most everything up to big bears (which I haven't found in Texas). You said less is better. That said, I have been using a .25-05 for the past 35+ years without a real need for more horsepower for anything here in the Lone Star state. You might look at the 7-08 also. Any caliber from .25 thru the .30-06 should serve your needs. A good scope will serve you for years, so take these guys advise and don't skimp on optics.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:

Get a Zeiss or Leupold, the scope is where the rubber meets the road, so to speak.

You are ready for the world. When the Elephant and Cape Buffalo come knocking, then you can address the second gun.

Best advice you will get is above.
Wendell lives there and hunts.
I agree with him.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:
And even the 270 and 7mm-08 are strong enough for any whitetail, mule deer, aoudad, wildhog, javelina, and so on that you will come across.

As well as any pronghorn, sheep, mountain goat, elk, moose and black bear you come across quiet effectively. Big Grin

I mean I can't just sit idly by while you talk down one of my favorite cartridges!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
.25-06 Remington or .280 Remington.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Before reading any posts other than the original, the 270 came to mind as the perfect caliber for your needs. Then I read Wendell's and he is right.

If you plan on a single rifle for now and possibly for years, go get yourself a 30.06. I LOVE mine. But I love my 270s more!

With your shot distances, man, you really can't go wrong with any listed so far.

Here's a suggestion: go with a 6.5x284!

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For what you are describing my first thought was that a 270 would be perfect. I don't own a 270 but that is because I went with a 7mm Rem Mag as my first Deer / Elk rifle and 270 isn't any way an improvement. I do of course own a 30-06 that is my coyote up to back up Elk rifle - it really does do everything.

Zeiss conquest is the most bang for the buck -I'd trade my vari-xIII in a minute for any Conquest.

I agree with all the advice you are getting buy a rifle that you like and use it for 20 years or so and you'd be surprised at how comfortable and confident you become with that gun.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Hey, I forgot to mention the glass also! I have one Zeiss Conquest on my Sako 308. It is a 4.5x14x40. It is a kickass scope. All of my other scopes are Leupold 4.5x14x40s.

I'd take the Zeiss over the Leupolds any day!

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:
Under $1000!
Zeiss 3-9x42 Conquest $400
Howa, Tikka T3, Savage 110, or Weatherby Vanguard $400-600

Under $1500
Howa, Tikka T3, Savage 110, Weatherby Vanguard, and maybe a Ruger M77 or a Remington M700 $400-800

There you go! some complete packages for you! Hard to disagree with any of the choices above.

My gun is a Rem 700 Mt. Rifle ($650). With a Zeiss Conquest ($400).

If I had to start over, I would probably buy the exact same setup.

You have a quality setup that will take you around the world for about $1200 including rings, scope, gun, sling, box of shells and a cheeseburger.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
I'd take the Zeiss over the Leupolds any day!

Me too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would recommend a good bolt action, my choice would be the Blaser R 93.

I would get a Zeiss or Swarovski scope in the 3x9 range with a 1" tube keeping everything light in weight.

As to calibre my personal choice would be the 308.

However anything from the 270, 7mm/08 or the 30/06 will work great.

For your first rifle I would not go under 270 or 7mm/08, and I would not get a magnum.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skinner.:
quote:

Blasphemer !!!!

"Be done with it" he says. Eeker

And that coming from a Texan shame

A phrase like "You can start there" is far more appropriate than "Be done with it".

That implies a guy only needs one rifle.

Who ever heard of such tripe. Mad

What if someone's wife looks over his shoulder and reads such a thing...................

When we all know there is a vital need for at least 4 rifles for each purpose, ie; edible small game, varmints, deer sized game, elk sized game and so on.

I tend to go with Skinner on this, but I'll
illustrate the points a bit...

"Need" is a term only used by liberals.
If we admit to "need" then they can argue against us.

"Want" is none of anyone's damned buisness.

Frankly I think anyone who doesn't own a pump
Shotgun, a 22LR rifle and a Milwaukee Sawsall
should have his balls repossessed.
(or they were never installed in the first place)

honestly a 30-06 or 270win (or a 7mmMag) IS all anyone "needs" FOR HUNTING, but NEED has little to do with most of the others.

My 223Rem bolt gun is about economy, I can shoot chucks with my 30-06 or 7mmMag but either is more expensive to load for.

I personally don't play golf but I consider rifles to be like Golf clubs.
Yeah, you can play an entire game with only a putter or chipping wedge, but the game is a lot more fun if you have the different clubs for the different shots. I see rifles the same way.

But the creator being a perverse SOB
usually sees to it that whatever "club"
I have out of my bag is while not necissarily the "wrong" one... more often than not isn't the one I would have chosen.

Everyone should own atleast ONE bolt action 30-06, those refusing should be horsewhipped until they change their mind.

Everyone should also own SOMETHING chambered in 223. though semi-auto's are popular I prefer a bolt action.

and I believe that everyone should own atleast one centerfire lever rifle in a COMMON deer capable chambering (read: 30-30, 35Rem, 44Mag, 45-70 Etc)

Everyone needs some sort of shotgun, preferable a pump (read: Remington 870) but it doesn't "need" to be a 12ga a 20ga will do
most jobs.

And lastly if you don't own some sort of rifle in 22LR there is definatly something wrong with you that you should endevour to correct ASAP.

If you want anything more than this your financial limitations are your greatest
obstacle, but this is really a base minimum.

I think people who refuse to have anything in "common chamberings" or their "only rifle" in an oddball(wildcat) chambering are retarded.
especially the guy who is probably going to post below me recommending a 9.3xsomething as "the only rifle you need"

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:

Wendell is 100% right on this. My main hunting rifle/scope combination is a Browning A-Bolt .300 WSM with a Zeiss Conquest 3-12x56mm (30mm tube). Nearly every other scoped rifle I own has a Leupold on it.

Rifle = $569 (when I bought it 7 years ago)
Scope = $899

Good luck with your hunting adventures. The Hill Country is my absolute favorite place to hunt Whitetail, even though they're not usually as big. The terrain is just a blast to hunt in.
thumb thumb

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Well, folks can line up to Horse Whip me if they feel like it, but they had better bring a lunch.

I don't like a 30-06 at all. but if I am going to recommend a "Texas Battery" for someone else to use, the 30-06 is at the top of my list.

The 243/7mm-08/308/270/25-06/300 Win Mag or WSM will also be included.

Some on the small side, some on the large side.

To narrow it down futher for less confusion, 270-308-30/06 will do anything and everything needed in Texas.

As to this business of spending as much or more for a scope than on the rifle, that is Horse Shit to the highest degree.

The average hunter, under normal conditions has absolutely no need for that type technology or price.

I have been killing critters from the size of jack rabbits and cotton tails up to moose/elk/musk ox since 1968, and it has been done with fixed power K6 Weaver scopes and 6 power Cabela's Pine Ridge scopes and have no complaints.

If a person has the $$$ and wants to spend it, t5hen by all means go with the latest/greatest and most expensive toys.

For the average shooter who is going to do perhaps a half dozen to maybe a dozen hunting trips a year, hunting under normal hunting conditions, save the fucking $$$ and spend it on the trip and put together a reliable rig that THE HUNTER USING IT is comfortable and happy with, and forget about this BS of buying the biggest and best, or not being considered a REAL HUNTER, because their rig didn't cost a couple of thousand dollars.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
With the utmost respect for my crazy horse brother from Texas...buy a decent .30-06 and dump as much as you can possibly afford in a scope.
'nuff sed.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Lots of good advice on this thread...for the well-heeled and for regular folks. Were I to limit my Texas hunting to one rifle, it'd be a 270 with a Leupy 3x9 on it. That being said, I have no plans to limit myself in such a fashion.

For 2 rifles, a 270 and a hot-loaded, fast-twist 22 (shooting 60-75 grain bullets @ 3500-3600 fps) would be hard to beat. Texas is probably the only place I'd recommend a 22 centerfire for deer, and then I'd limit that recommendation to the whitetails.

However, my next Texas deer hunt will be with a 7x57 shooting 175 grainers @ ~2400 fps. Big Grin

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I made response the way I did, simply because too many folks stop reading what is asked, and start running off on a tangent.

People stop looking at the average hunter or the beginning hunter and considering what type of budget that person may be working within, and start recommending outlandish rigs that only folks that hunt 100 days or more a year and in many places around the country or globe for that matter would actually need.

Start small, work your way up as your experience increases, don't start out with the latest gadget.

Make your hunting rig fit your hunting style and conditions and use it to enhance your skills, Not To Make Up For A Lack Of Them.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have repeated read (by our gun writer friends) that the 30-06 and the 3x9x40 scope are the single most popular combo in america today, and have been for some 20+ years. i'd say that combo would work fine for a texas hunter.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jsrieck

Be sure tell us what you get and how it shoots.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
I made response the way I did, simply because too many folks stop reading what is asked, and start running off on a tangent.

People stop looking at the average hunter or the beginning hunter and considering what type of budget that person may be working within, and start recommending outlandish rigs that only folks that hunt 100 days or more a year and in many places around the country or globe for that matter would actually need.

Start small, work your way up as your experience increases, don't start out with the latest gadget.

Make your hunting rig fit your hunting style and conditions and use it to enhance your skills, Not To Make Up For A Lack Of Them.
+1

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Good scope, would be a plus

Common, I'd pick 260,7/08,270,280,6.5x55,308,30/06

Any will do I love my Blaser R93 with a match barrel in a 6.5x55 I topped it with a 2.5x10 swaro and will hunt anything in Texas with it.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
personally i'd start with a 308 win or 30-06 with a good scope

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote