New
Find
Notify
Tools

Burris scope questions?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm thinking about putting a Burris Signature scope on my new rifle that was just ordered. I have a Fullfield II that I like. I also have a Leupold Vari-X III & II so I have experience with different scopes. My question has to do with the Burris Posi-Lock feature. Is this something that is beneficial or is it just marketing hype? I don't mind spending the money if it is justified.

Also, the new ballistic plex, has anyone tried this and if so, what is your thoughts?

Thanks.

C-ROY

Posts: 259 | Location: Carolina | Registered: 11 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The posi lock is a good feature but it will change the POI a little so be sure and check it..

Burris are a little heavy for my taste, so I just stay with Leupold for the most part.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Ray, check out the new Fullfields II's. Seems like they are 1/3rd lighter, the turret doesn't mess with the mounting anymore, and even eye position seems less critical than it used to be.

I'd like to take a look a the new Safari Signature, 'cause the Fullfields II's have my attention. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
Posi-locks suck,in my opinion. I've failed two of them.

A good scope's reticle should not shift and the posi-lock is not a fix,for a lesser glass.

I have yet to own a Burris Signature that held it's zero,or tracked as supposed to,via it's turrets. That in 4-16X,6-24X and 8-32X. Perhaps the Signatures of lower magnification(and shorter tube length and less mass)are a better bet?

I much prefer the Leupold Vari-X II,to the Signature series and the Vari-X III's even more so.

My opinion all................

<waldog>
posted
I've owned seven Burris scopes over the years. Fullfields, signatures, pistol, and one blackdiamond. Presently I own two signiture posi-locks. Both these scopes I got in trades and the posi-lock seems to be a neat feature. Of all the Burris scopes, I've never once lost a zero... even after some pretty good whacks. So I guess I'm kinda ambivilant about them at present. In otherwords, I can't see them as a necessity.

One of the posi-locks that I have now, is a 2-8x signature that I'll soon be mounting atop a .338-06. It's not an especially hard kicker, but I expect it to function as all the others have... flawlessly.

good luck!

Ps. BigStick, guess where my .338's stock came from? Thanks! [Big Grin]

[ 07-16-2002, 04:59: Message edited by: waldog ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have own both leupolds and Burris. The only trouble I have had is with 6x24 burris that would not hold zero. After sending it back 6 times they findly sent me a new one. I have not shot it enough to know it works well yet. The other 8 I have work just fine.

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
C-Roy,

I put a 3x9 posi-lock on a 9.5 lb .338/378 a couple of years ago,and it worked fine. As Ray suggested (and as Burris tells you) tightening the posi-lock will move your point of impact up and to the right. It does take a few shots to figure out exactly how much it will move.

If you do get one, be careful about how much force you put on the P/L screw when you turn it. The screw is a little soft and easy (as I found out)to bugger up.

I eventually turned to shooting the scope w/o using the P/L, and it still worked fine. I am now using the scope for some load development on a 375 H&H.

Good luck,

Steve

Posts: 267 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a fairly new Fullfield II with the Ballistic Plex. The optics are not quite as clear a a VariX-II, but it only cost me $179. I think the Ballistic Plex is outstanding. I have it mounted on a 350 Remington Mag. Even with a fairly sloww (225's at 2700 fps) I can still use the reticle effectively out to 300 yards. As far as adjustments, mine were right on. Do the math, make the clicks and it was right there. I have a new 4.5-14 Ball Plex in the box waiting for a new rifle. I think they are a great tool.

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dutch,
Thanks for the heads up. I will give one a try first chance I get..How is the eye releif now, did they extend it some...I think the posi lock is a fantastic idea and one that all scopes should have.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Ray, don't know how it compares to the old style, having never used one. The factory says 3.1-3.8 inches for the 3x9 and 25% lighter weight, and that seems about right. I put one on my 7 mag, and one on my wife's 280, and haven't been bopped yet. Especially with the 280 set up for my wife, I tend to crawl that stock pretty bad, and I haven't been punished for it (yet) during load development.

The optics aren't "fantastic", but plenty good. Haven't decided yet wether the ballistic plex is good, bad or indifferent. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote