Find
Notify
Tools

Elk Hunting: .375 H&H v. .338 Win
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted
I know this subject has probably been beaten' to death, but I would like to know your preferences between the two.

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
<cohoyo>
posted
i've never hunted elk with a rifle but my favorite caliber is a .375 H&H. it has enough power for everything and is a good long range caliber. It makes a big hole fast so animals with lots of fat and thick skin will leave a good blood trail and there are lots of bullets to choose from if you want to reload for it.

<allen day>
posted
I've carried them both while hunting elk, and I simply don't see the need to haul the average, heavy .375 H&H rifle (heavy ammo, too) up any elk mountain that I'll be on in the future. You can if you want to of course, but why bother? Sure the .375 H&H can kill any elk that walks this earth as dead as he's ever going to get, but it kills elk no more convincingly than any number of other cartridges do. Primarily, the .375 H&H is an African cartridge for general-purpose hunting, with Alaskan brown bear thrown in for good measure.

The .338 Winchester is an ideal elk rifle in all respects. What an elk rifle needs, the .338 has, pure and simple. The truth is, if you can't kill an elk with a .338 Winchester, you won't him with anything else. A first-class .338 Winchester can be had in the 8 to 8.5 lb. range field-ready, plus the ammo is comparatively light to carry as well. You need look no further for a practical, effective elk cartridge.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never hunted elk, but I can tell you that I have seen moose shot with both the .375H&h and .338WM and it is hard to tell the difference. I have shot several moose with a .338WM that have dropped on the spot or pretty close to it. I could tell you a few of my experiences with it, but that would make this reply too long.

The .375's advantage over the .338WM is it's slightly greater bullet diameter, and since it holds more powder in the case it can launch heavy bullets (from 300 grains and up) with greater force. However, the .338WM does extremely well with bullets up to perhaps 275 to 300 grains in weight. The average .338WM shoots faster than the .375H&H when bullets lighter than 275 grains are used.

One reason why the .338WM is often compared to the .375H& is because .33 bullets have greater BC and SD than those for the .375, and also because is can shoot a little faster and flatter. But again, the .375's offers a great punch when 300-grain bullets (and heavier) are used. A problem with both cartridges is that the heavier bullets increase recoil, but those who use either and can take the recoil don't have a problem at all.

[This message has been edited by Ray, Alaska (edited 04-28-2002).]

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot a few bulls with the .375 and 300gr Sierras and a lone bull with a .338-06 and 225's , ALL died in short order. I enjoy carrying my .375 occasionally, reminds me of being in Africa again. I may use it again in the future on elk.

I have never owned one, only the lower velocity .338-06 but the .338 Win mag seems to me to be about perfect for all elk hunting, especially in a rifle at 8 or 8 1/2 pounds. It has it ALL, decent trajectory, great penetration, etc.

Either or is fine as long as the extra weight of the .375 is a limiting factor.

FN

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
The 338 Win Mag is my favorite elk round for all the reasons listed above... it's about as "ideal" a match of cartridge to game as can be found. This past friday I picked up my fourth 338 Win Mag from the smith where its bbl. shortened to 22". A Rimrock stock will go on order this week for it. "All-up" weight should come in at just ove 8 lbs.

Brad

<awknod>
posted
I like them both really well and the only reason I own a .375 and not a .338 right now is because of The rifle not the caliber.
the .338 has killed some Elk for me and all were killed humanely, with minimal meat damage. I have not shot Elk with the .375 as yet,but am pretty sure it's enough rifle. the ballistics show a slight advantage Past 100 yrds for the .338 but they are so close past that that it is really not worth talking about. the big advantage of the .375 as I see it is you can go anywhere and hunt nearly any critter as the .375 is considered the minimum on certain animals in africa. I have never been there (yet) that is what I have read. either cartridge with heavier bullets are Ideal for Elk. the difference in weight is less than a pound in most rifles and the same in some as is the case with my weatherby. however the .375 ammo is a bit heavier.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both and can't tell any difference in them which usually the real deal in 99% of these arguments on calibers...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41976 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I have yet to use it on elk, but I consider my 375 H&H (and my 416 Taylor) to be the perfect "evening elk hunt" rifle. No major climbing, etc, and a little more insurance for shooting just before dark.

Otherwise, I concur with Allen in that those rifles are a little too heavy to pack up and down mountains all day. The extra weight just isn't worth the extra horsepower, IMHO.

I have nothing bad to say about the 338. It is as fine an elk cartridge as has ever been made. My personal preference is the 8mm Rem Mag, or a 300 Win Mag, but that is just a potato/potato issue (if you get my drift).

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I think I will bring both. I will use the 338 in the morning and the 375 in the evening. I may even bring the 416, just because. All are Sako Fiberclass models so weight (except ammo) is not much of a factor.

<Phil R>
posted
I found the ideal solution to this problem!!
I sent a stainless Ruger 77MKII in .338 off to Pac-Nor a few years back and had it rebarreled with a 24" stainless barrel in .375/.338. It's easy to carry at 8lbs. incl scope, and loves those 270gr. Swift A Frames!

------------------
Phil- Life Member NRA & SCI

<BigBores>
posted
I have also used both on elk. Both are really in their realm elk hunting, in my opinion either one would work great. Maybe if I absolutely knew for sure that the shot ranges could go long, say between 300-500 yards, I might grab the 338 that day. I usually take both to camp and change out between them as my whim takes me. Both have given me quick one shot kills. Either one is pure elk poison.

<konst>
posted
hi,
although i�ve never hunted elk�s, and so can�t say anything about, but as i take a look on the boars i shot with my .375H&H, i won�t hesitate to take the .375 even on Elk.
The better the game get�s the better the .375H&H works.
e.g. the biggest boar i shot just brake down instantly in the shot, just laying where it stands before, the legs under the body,even hadn�t a chance to lay on the side.
I took the RWS KS Bullet, but i guess on Elk i �ll take a Partition or Safari Ballistic Tip.
The KS Bullets works like a grenade if u hit a bone. Nit first choice regarding the meat damage, but it breaks the bones.
konstantin

<konst>
posted
sorry,
i mean...the bigger the game gets,the better the...works.
cheers
konstantin

one of us
posted Hide Post
.375 H&H or .338 Win Mag.? You can't go wrong! Either one will do a perfect job of killing 99% of anything that needs it.

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used them both several times and they work the same.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Tom Blimkie>
posted
Doctor Lou, I gave my .375 H&H to my outfitter because he was having some bear problems and needed a "right now stopper". It is a Sako Fiberclass, and you are right in that it's weight is not a major concern.
The outfitter has used it on elk a few times and tells me it does a great job, at least with the 300gr. Nosler Partitions. It is topped with a Leupold 1.5-5 and serves him just perfectly.
Ugly darn thing, but a great rifle.

Tom

one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
Allen: You must be more sensitive to weight than my bathroom scale!!

Neither of my .375s weigh over 8.5 lbs (they don't have to be heavy) and the ammo weighs an average of 75-80 grs per pop more than .338s. So 5 .375 rounds weigh less than an extra ounce!!! If you can feel that, my friend, you are a candidate for an oxygen bottle...

As usual, these arguments are about splitting hairs. I could not pass the red-face test arguing for either one over the other.

Tim

Posts: 1534 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't tell the difference in a 375, 338 Win or 9.3x62 on Cape Buffalo or elk and although I know the 338 shoots the flatest I still can't tell any difference. I can tell the difference with a 404 or 416 and its apparant.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41976 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
Either one will flatten an elk.

------------------
Walk softly and carry a big bore!

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The NRA mailed me a hunting video, one of those you pay $9.00 if you want to keep it, or return it without having to pay for shipment.

It is mostly about deer hunting with rifles and bows, some turkey hunting, and at least one elk hunt. The video is of outstanding quality, and I highly recommend it. Near the end, a guide and client get close enough to shoot an elk, and the client fires his .338 one time, perfect shot through the heart. The elk's knees immediately buckle and it falls forward on the snow. A great shot captured on film!

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Paul Dustin>
posted
I would have to agree with Atkinson for Elk and moose it is Hard to tell any difference

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
You folks are great! Thanks for the feedback.