New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unguided Hunts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been hunting for a few years now, since I came of legal age to hunt deer here in Michigan, and have been looking into some other hunts out-of-state. My dad and his hunting partner have both been to Alaska before on self-guided hunts, and we also may go out west in the future. The problem is that I really have no desire to follow a guide, being shown how to hunt, and what to shoot, I am far too independent to be instructed in a recreational activity that actually gives me a chance to get away from people. Smiler

Anyway, I have looked into unguided hunts for caribou, bear and moose in Alaska as well as going out west for pronghorn, elk, or mulies. I also know that members of this site have hunted every corner of the globe and know of many hunting opportunities that I may not be aware of. I have heard of Chasse Libre hunts in CAR, Cameroon and even Zimbabwe, but really I know very little of them.

So what other opportunities are out there for an unguided hunter these day? Africa? Asia? I'm all ears for any other interesting hunting destinations.

-Casey

Posts: 58 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 24 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Gibson,

How many guided hunts have you been on?

I beg to differ that a guided hunt means you are simply led to the critter and shoot it. I too live in Michigan (and I have lived in Wyoming and lived in Alaska). If I only have a week or two to work with, I hire an established outfitter who knows all the ins and outs of the area to increase my chances of getting onto game. I simply don't have the time to travel to Wyoming, Alaska, or whereever and scout and learn all the things necessary.

To me, it is more expensive to go to these places and come home empty handed because I didn't know where to go, how the game migrated due to weather, and learn the hard way that some of the public land areas look like a Home Depot parking lot on opening day.

All those maps with National Forest land look enticing from afar. Are you going to trailer your own horses to Wyoming? Do you have access to a plane to get into the good hunting areas of Alaska?

It's been my experience that going with a good guide/outfitter is money well spent.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
maturity will teach you that an "open mind" has many benefits. I'm quite sure you could learn a great deal from a veteran guide. good luck in your hunting exploits.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope you guys don't get the wrong reaction from my post, it wasn't meant to be a criticism of guided hunts. I'm not trying to portray myself as something I am not, a hunter whom needs no other help, but I am just not interested in a guide. As of next hunting season I will only be 19, and even if I wanted a guide, I wouldn't be able to afford one. I was mainly inspired by an Alaskan trip my Father made a few years ago for caribou and bear, without the use of a professional.

I don't want to seem close minded in my connotations of a guided hunts, as I really have nothing to go on. The main thing is that I enjoy having control of my own destiny, the self-success that I feel I can achieve from hunting without a guide, that's all.

I didn't feel I would have to defend my reasonings amongst you guys, but if I offended you I am sorry. I didn't ask if you agreed with me, all I asked is if you knew of any other opportunities across the globe which others might not know about, the answers could enlighten us all.

One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
Gibson, I was doing out of state hunts by myself and with friends when I was your age. 2 or 3 a season too. Big Grin

Just start researching what's available and take a couple nice long spring/summer road trips through WY, ID, MT, CO, OR, etc.

There are a whole lot of opportunities for do-it yourself hunts particularly if you're not really concerned with big trophies.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gibson,
Do it YOUR way.Do your research,make some calls.You'd be surprised how much info most state biologists will give you,IF you don't bother them when they are busy,and IF you demonstrate that you've already done some good groundwork,and aren't just lazy and calling,looking for an easy answer.Same with game wardens,ranchers,etc.It's much easier now with the internet to do your basic research,then make some calls to fine tune things.Dave

Posts: 156 | Location: Southern MD | Registered: 29 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gibson, I live in Michigan and I go to WY every year on a unguided hunts. It is like others have said call people in the kwon and pick place . then do your home work . And if you go and dont score so what, hunting is all about time and places, not the kill .If you like I can give you info on pronghorn in WY. that you can afford.

Posts: 185 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Add New Zealand to your list.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys, its good to know other people out there like to hunt the same way I do. As of now, I may have a few possibilities to go out of state in the next year or two. My friends father recently bought land in rural Ohio, and another friend's brother is working on a ranch in Colorado starting this summer. I've also been working on possibly setting up a fishing trip this summer to Alaska, but who knows if it will fall through or not?

Yes, I have been researching a few states' regs and units when I see something interesting. I am thinking of simply applying for preference points for some of the better areas in other states before actually attempting to get a lottery tag. I have a question though, is there a way I can apply for only points, without paying for the full application and tag? I seem to remember that it was necessary to pay up front for the tag before you even were picked.

6.5 Swede, could you just give me the basics of this hunt? I've read quite a few articles about DIY pronghorn hunts, and they seem much more feasible than good elk or mulie hunts. What might an average cost be (in full) for this type of hunt? And what areas have you used? And have you been successful? I hope so if you go every year. Wink

CanadianLefty, I was under the impression that most hunts in New Zealand were guided ranch hunts? What are your experiences there?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibson:
Thanks for the input guys, its good to know other people out there like to hunt the same way I do. As of now, I may have a few possibilities to go out of state in the next year or two.

I went on one guided hunt, enjoyed it. That was the only one, though, and now I just freelance ( no money ). There are a bunch of nice places to hunt, and I frequently go places where I don't see another truck for days.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14625 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for you Gibson. Carpe Diem!! There is a carefully orchestrated ongoing evolution in big game hunting (at least out West) going on as we speak. In a nut shell, it's called the privatization of public wildlife. Access is quietly controlled and denied to public lands by landowners and guides and outfitters all over the western states. On the other hand, a great deal of the public land (BLM & F.S.) is only nominally managed for wildlife habitat. A lot of it was never suitable range for anything in the first place. That's why it is public. Winter range and security areas, calving grounds, migration corridors, etc. etc. are owned by private interests. A lot of those folks are leased out. Im Montana, the privalidge to hunt is more akin to the 11th Bill of Rights. That is equated to lots of hunting pressure during the big game seasons. Guides and outfitters serve a useful purpose for stressed out Americans with limited time, improper outdoor skills, lack of understanding of the game being persued, no equipment for the designated hunt, or no knowlege of the area they want to hunt. Nevertheless, DIY is very doable, but it takes a lot of research before you show up in northern New Mexico, the Bob Marshall Wilderness of Montana, or Iliamna, Alaska. I think that is part of the fun!!! I'd be interested in starting a forum or seeing one started on AR for DIY. We're pretty close to there now with the Backpack Hunting forum. Check it out. If I can help you with information for Montana send me a PM. Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gibson, the basic hunt is that you do it all. first you pick area, my pick WY. is area #26,27,28,29,and#103 also #7.do you plan a hunt this year.If so,we have to work fast.but it is all public land hunting,and thats what makes it so fun ,you do every thing in your own time and the cost is about $800.00 dallars for 7 days.Let me know if you plan a hunt this year ok.

Posts: 185 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the answer, but no, there is no way I can do it this year. I just wanted to see what was available in the future. I'm very busy this year what with moving into college life, and most of this fall will be dedicated to whitetail hunting, which isn't really a bad thing.

But that pronghorn hunt sounds very doable. I've often read articles claiming good hunts for roughly $1000, but $800 for a week of hunting sounds even better! Thanks for the info.

This year I am hoping to go hunting in the Dead Stream Swamp in the Northern Lower Peninsula with my Dad, and I'd also like to visit the Forests in the Northern UP.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yellowstone:Carpe Diem!! There is a carefully orchestrated ongoing evolution in big game hunting (at least out West) going on as we speak. In a nut shell, it's called the privatization of public wildlife. Access is quietly controlled and denied to public lands by landowners and guides and outfitters all over the western states.

Most of the east is already like that. The Chespeake Bay is famous for waterfowl, but there aren't may places for the poor and unconnected to hunt. We rode around all morning once in North Carolina, looking over the public areas listed in the official state publication, found more than one that was listed as public until you got there and found that it had been leased out and was no longer so. Bait and switch.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14625 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hope you guys don't get the wrong reaction from my post, it wasn't meant to be a criticism of guided hunts. I'm not trying to portray myself as something I am not, a hunter whom needs no other help, but I am just not interested in a guide. As of next hunting season I will only be 19, and even if I wanted a guide, I wouldn't be able to afford one. I was mainly inspired by an Alaskan trip my Father made a few years ago for caribou and bear, without the use of a professional.

I don't want to seem close minded in my connotations of a guided hunts, as I really have nothing to go on. The main thing is that I enjoy having control of my own destiny, the self-success that I feel I can achieve from hunting without a guide, that's all.

I didn't feel I would have to defend my reasonings amongst you guys, but if I offended you I am sorry. I didn't ask if you agreed with me, all I asked is if you knew of any other opportunities across the globe which others might not know about, the answers could enlighten us all.

A lot of class from a 19 year old. You have been raised well. From the mouths of babes......

Posts: 297 | Location: Bainbridge Island,WA | Registered: 07 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Along with dbltap, absolutely no offense taken. I even have outfitters who are friends of mine, but like you, I like to do my own planning when possible. I have planned and/or executed DIY hunts in Montana, Wyoming, New Mexico, Utah, Texas, Idaho, and Alaska. It beats watching T.V. If you get real good at French, then tell me how you come out on your Cameroon safari!!!!!

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Opportunities for DIY hunting are shrinking rapidly. Get out there while you still can. In my teens and early twenties I made quite a few trips before life's responsibilities took over. If I had the time now I would do the same. Although success is likely to be harder without help the satisfaction is greater.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote