New
Find
Notify
Tools

25 caliber bullets
 Login/Join

Picture of Bubbabassin45
posted
Just wondering if anyone out there has tried the heavy bullets from wildcat bullets. I see they make .257 bullets up to 156 grains. I am thinking of trying their 142 grain hollow points in my 257 weatherby. Someone out there with a 257 STW might be really interested in these. The link for these bullets is below if someone is interested.
http://www.wildcatbullets.com/

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
know all about them. Talked with Richard Graves many times and Kirby Allen too.

Check this out, my new rifle is in the works right now, a 270 Allen Mag. It is a 300 RUM necked down to a 270. I will be shooting Richard's 169.5 grain 270 bullet (BC .750-.780) over WC872. This bullet is a very low drag rebated boat tail.

Here is the bullet compared to a 130 Ballistic tip:

And here is the 270 Allen Mag compared to a 270 Win and 7 Rem Mag:

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the idea is a good one. What you should find with a stoutly constructed bullet (therein may be the problem) you will get a high SD and it should kill all out of preportion to its size, kinda like a 160gn 6.5 swede...........JJ

" venator ferae bestiae et aquae vitae "

Posts: 593 | Location: Southern WV, USA | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I would love to see some info regarding labratory test of the pressures involved w/ the Allen Mags.

That is a tremendous amount of powder to get a .257 or .277 bullet down the tube at safe pressures.

I've shot several loads that were too hot in the 25-06 and 270 w/ slow burning powders. I know that has relatively nothing to do w/ these wildcats but, w/ the wildcats using similar powders and similar projectiles to get speeds far above any production cart., it kind of makes you wonder.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote