Notify
Tools

Performance of Hornady SST
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted
Hi everybody
Has anyone experienced the Hornadys SST?
I will like to know its performance and limitations to be used hunting game upto .... which weight ?

Also I will like its comparison between the Nosler BT ... which is better ?

Tbhank you all in advance

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Afrikaander,

I have tried them both. In cartridges that generate 2,800 or so fps. or less they seem to work just fine. Over the 2,900 fps. mark and both seem to want to break up when encountering any bone. I tried them both in .257, .277 and .308 with basically the same results. Blacktail and Mule deer were the targets. For my $.02 I won’t buy them anymore. Partitions or Barnes X for me. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I use them in my 308, 30-06 and 300 Winnie, they work very well on game up to Axis and Whitetail deer. I personally would use them on anything up to maybe Red Stag or Mule deer, anything larger I think they would expand too much, too quickly.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
The SST is a superbly accurate bullet built a slight amount heavier walled than a ballistic tip.

I wouldn't hesitate to shoot animals the size of big mule deer anytime with them.

Bigger animals might want the use of a heavier construction....bonded, partician style...

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use Sierra Game King better than SST for clean kill, Used both bullets, speaking from experance.

posted Hide Post
Used both for Mulies & whitetails in 30.06 & 270. My experience has been than BTs are more accurate, but SSTs hold together better. Both get the job done, but I am kind of leery of the BTs at close range.

Posts: 4 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 03 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

<PWN>
posted
My father use factory Hornady 30.06 loaded with 180 grain SST to kill 9 animals during a safari last year. The animals were wildcat, impala, bushbuck, kudu, springbok, blesbok, blue and black wildebeest and waterbuck. Shots ranged from 25 yards to 300 yards and all were one shot kills. None of the bullets that failed to exit showed any signs of blowup and one of the shots was on the point of a kudu's shoulder at about 40 yards and resulted in a perfect mushroom lodged in the opposite shoulder.

Perry

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
LawDog gary's and PWN's comments make perfect sense. Keep velocities under 2800 fps and you'll do fine. Above that they tend to come apart, even on impalas. I know, it happened to me. jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My partner used light magnum 30-06 sst's on caribou under 50yds and they came apart.We found jacket material in the heart or liver.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my experience they explode just as bad as the Ballistic Tip on game and are not as accurate. I've also fired them into wet phone books and milk jugs and they practically exploded, even at velocities as low as 2500 fps. This was the 150g .308 bullet. It does seem to make a great coyote bullet. [Razz]

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've taken a bighorn ram, a cow elk, and a doe antelope with an XP-100 6.5-284 Win. at about 2800 f.p.s. using the 129 gr. SST. The ram and cow were taken through the lungs at around 300 yds. with a quarter-size exit wound-- no bullet recovery, but quick kills. I can't quite recall the doe for some reason. Actually i didn't shoot it-- one of my hunting partners did with my pistol.

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote