THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    180 gr. Corelokts and Hornady interloks in 300 WM

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

180 gr. Corelokts and Hornady interloks in 300 WM
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Slapped together a 300 Win mag using a stainless 26 inch barrel on a Savage LA. Barrel is a "heavy sporter " contour and shoots the Remington Corelokts too well to believe. I got 4 boxes of them on sale, it took 6 shots to get the rifle sighted in 3 inches high at 100 yards and 3 shot groups are a bit less than an inch with them. The bullets I am going to use when the brass is finally empty will be 180 gr. Hornady Interloks and Nosler Partitions. I know how well the Partitions will perform but would like some input on the Interloks. They will be started out around 3100 fps and at the place I have in mind to use them I will be shooting 400-550 yards. Thinking the Partitions would be better at closer ranges while the interloks would work well at the longer ranges.

Posts: 932 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Corlokts have killed lots of critters over the years

Posts: 19444 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never seen interlock perform until this winter.. I can now say I have seen them perform .....that is extremely poorly!!!
You couldn't pay me enough to shoot them on any game except maybe coyotes.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1231 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Doug,

Interesting...I have great results with them.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10097 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Topgun 30-06:
quote:
Originally posted by chilcotin hillbilly:
I have never seen interlock perform until this winter.. I can now say I have seen them perform .....that is extremely poorly!!!

That's funny as Hornady BTSPs and SPs are all I've used for years in reloading for my .243 Sako, my 25-06 Ruger, and pre 64 Model 70 in 30-06 along with 2 other 30-06s and I've never had an animal take more than a couple steps when hit in the vitals with any of them! Along with the 58 grain VMax for varmints I go to the 100 grainer in the .243 for antelope, the 117s for the 25-06 for antelope in the wind and once in a while for deer, and then 150s in the 30-06 for deer. I used their Interbond for elk until I quit hunting them several years ago and they also gave fantastic results.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had nothing but excellent resultls from the Hornady Interlocks, any weight and any caliber.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

What caliber and bullet weight were the ones you saw preform poorly did they blow or fail to expand

Posts: 19444 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Please elaborate

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried 180gr .308 interlock's in my 30-06 many years ago. Loaded them to 2750, and shot a lot of game with them.

One year, 1993 I think, I shot a raghorn bull elk. He was quartering to me at 60-70 yards, and I put it square into the shoulder. The bullet broke the shoulder, but turned into shrapnel. That was at 8:00 am. I finally killed that bull at 3:00 pm. That was a long day.

I switched to Nosler Partitions and never tried Hornady's again.

My dad used only factory Remington green and yellow box 30-06 ammo with 180gr corlokts for 30 years until we started reloading. He never had one that didn't perform as expected even on elk shoulders.

Of the two, I think that the Remington bullet is tougher. I don't think it is designed for magnum velocities though.

For deer/antelope, either should be fine. Elk are a different story.

In my .300 Win Mag, I shoot 200gr Accubonds, or Partitions. I used to shoot 200gr Sierra Game Kings with no issues, but the AB's came out and I like the insurance of a bonded bullet.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
I tried 180gr .308 interlock's in my 30-06 many years ago. Loaded them to 2750, and shot a lot of game with them.

One year, 1993 I think, I shot a raghorn bull elk. He was quartering to me at 60-70 yards, and I put it square into the shoulder. The bullet broke the shoulder, but turned into shrapnel. That was at 8:00 am. I finally killed that bull at 3:00 pm. That was a long day.

I switched to Nosler Partitions and never tried Hornady's again.

My dad used only factory Remington green and yellow box 30-06 ammo with 180gr corlokts for 30 years until we started reloading. He never had one that didn't perform as expected even on elk shoulders.

Of the two, I think that the Remington bullet is tougher. I don't think it is designed for magnum velocities though.

For deer/antelope, either should be fine. Elk are a different story.

In my .300 Win Mag, I shoot 200gr Accubonds, or Partitions. I used to shoot 200gr Sierra Game Kings with no issues, but the AB's came out and I like the insurance of a bonded bullet.

Jeremy

You should not have been taking a quartering to shot with that bullet on a bull elk. That's why Hornady makes their Interbond. That Interlock did exactly what I would have figured you said it did because it's not designed to plow through a bull's shoulder and that's why it broke up trying to do what it wasn't designed for! The Interbond or any other bonded bullet placed where you say it was would have more than likely resulted in a quick recovery of that animal. Too many people are quick to blame the bullet when it's the shooter putting it in the wrong place or using improper equipment for the job.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are right that the bullet wasn't up to it, and I suffered for it. Which is the point of the story for the OP.

What did I know, I was 14 at the time and bullet choices weren't what they are today. Bonded was not a common bullet term in 1993.

I learned from it and have never lost an elk. That was the closest that I ever came to losing one.

I, personally, think the OP should go with a better bullet than either the Remmy or Hornady.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well since I like to eat elk meat in over 20 years I have only shot one in the shoulder. Broadside, this elk was moving at a good pace but stopped just as I shot and my lead no longer was such. The bullet hit right where I was pointing. The bullet was a 180 gr. Speer Hotcor which had no penetration issues and ended up under the hide on the far side. Elk ran down hill for 50 yards and was mine. I would use the Noslers for any short range work but figure the Hornady bullet might give a wider wound channel way out there. I might use the corelokt factory loads on a couple feral hogs.

Posts: 932 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
I've had nothing but excellent resultls from the Hornady Interlocks, any weight and any caliber.

Same here

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always had good luck with Interlocks as well.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDhunter:
quote:

Please elaborate

I'd like to know the details as well. I've shot a lot of game with interlocks and they have always worked well for me. They aren't all I use since some of my rifles like Woodleighs and Noslers better, but I haven't seen a Hornady bullet fail to work.

Posts: 1351 | Location: CO born, but in Athens, TX now. | Registered: 03 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I believe the IL's are good bullets, and have killed quite a bit of game with them, I always reach for partitions or accubonds first. They are superb killing bullets up through African plains game size, IME.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered 200 Nosler Partitions and have put together a very accurate load that runs a bit over 2900 fps. Think I will use this for any elk hunting. I burned up the Corelokts practicing my offhand shooting and they performed splendidly! Kicked up dirt from the backstop just like they ought to.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used many 180 Interlocks(flat based) in the .300 Win, and somewhat less in the Weatherby. Although I've always got away with it, at close range its pushing it on deer. Stretch the range a bit and it all works out.

Shooting many hundreds of larger animals on cull with a 30-06 gives me a thumb nail sketch of what the .300s will do to the same bullets a couple hundred yards farther out. They kill faster than some designer bullets.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
The Occasional bullet failure reminds us that no system is perfect. One can search almost any bullet name and find anecdotal examples of failure. The H-Interloct is fine cup and core bullet. Many elk shoulders have been broken and lungs destroyed by them. Can a 300 WM break one's function down? Yup. Is the Nosler Partition bullet a better choice for heavy NA game in the 300 WM? Highly likely. the 200 grain version even more so. If you talking Mule or Whitetail deer, your Interloct's will work just fine at the ranges you mention.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used Interloks on game from grounhogs to Eland. They are a good bullet for lighter game like deer and antelope. They performed surprisingly well for me on larger game like an Eland and Blue Widebeest out of a .338 Win Mag. On a later hunt I used Trophy Bonded Bear Claws on Eland out of the same .338 Win Mag, however, and now I will always choose the tougher bullet for larger game in the future. I still use Interloks on whitetail and antelope out of my .270 Win.

Posts: 129 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 15 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If they don`t cost $3.00 a bullet, how can they possibly be any good??? popcorn

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
180gr Interlocks @ 3100fps from a 300mag had zero issues taking down both a bull caribou and a 1200lb bull moose in Newfoundland. I recovered only one of 3 bullets and it was 59% retained weight...the others were pass thru. One of the better non-premium bullets. I have used partitions and Accubonds with great success as well. One needs to assess the job you want the bullet to accomplish while ensuring there is a suitable level of accuracy.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3+ months and nothing more from hillbilly and his dissing of the Interlocks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had good results from both bullets and will continue to use both in many cal. up to and including elk. I guess no one killed anything before so-called premium bullets.

Posts: 296 | Location: Clyde Park, MT | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote