New
Find
Notify
Tools

narrowed it down on wy. MD hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
looks like region D unit 80 and 81 are where i'm gonna spend my 12 days of vacation for the year, it sounds like we will have to hike back as far as we can to get away from the crowds, my question is , is this a sit and glass type area? or a keep moving and cover as much ground as poss?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to live down there, but I hunted the east side of the valley. All pretty much the same, when I moved away 14 years ago deer were in a steep decline. I have heard from old friends that numbers are up and doing pretty good. If that is the case, you can park your butt on a ridge and glass. But in reality, that country is good for both, glass then move. I would spend more time being patient and glass. A spotting scope would be helpful so as to determine the size from great distances. Saves a lot of walking.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ya i just bought a new spotter and tripod i'm getting more patient in my old age, i can sit in a treestand for whitey from dark to dark in 20 degree weather so i think i'll be able to glass for a few hours before moving.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glass earlly in the day and just before dark. As for getting a way from other hunters in 80 good luck. the divide road makes access too EZ from the top.
A trip or two to the north west end of 80 could pay off well if you glass around the groups of trees and bush just off the rim south of Sage Creek.
In 81 the upper end of Miner Cr and soldier Cr's will hold some good deer but the wind has fouled up many a good staulk up there, but thats why the deer hang out there.

Posts: 35 | Location: Wyo | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info gotlost, it'll be a good place to start.