New
Find
Notify
Tools

typical / non typical?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
as a european hunter, I dont understand the difference between the elk and deer trophies typical or not typical.
Someone can explain?

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A typical deer rack is one that conforms to the normal way a whitetail deer antler is made. In other words a main beam with brow tines and 3 or 4 tines coming straight up off the main beam. Anything else is non-typical, makes sense as it is not typical for a whitetail rack.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mario,
What jstevens said is correct. It is basically the semitry of the antlers. A whitetail with a lot of kickers, drop tines etc would go in the non-typical department. However, some deer are border line typical/non-typical, say a main frame 10 pt with one kicker off of a tine. Some would score him as typical and take the kicker as a deduction in points.
A main frame 10pt with kickers all over his tines and a really abnormal rack would be non-typical.
I know the categories are necessary for record books but I personally dislike deductions.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Campbell:
I know the categories are necessary for record books but I personally dislike deductions.

I personally only look at what a gross non-typical score would be, not what the net typical or non-typical score would be. As we like to say, nets are for fish.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote