New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sand bags or Rifle rest question?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to hear some of your opinions on which type of rest (from the bench) gives the steadiest/most consistant hold from shot to shot.
Example: Lead Sled rest vs. Sand Bags.

Thanks!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wolfgar, I find that good bags like the Dog-Gone good bags, or the Uncle Buds Bulls Bags give you a really solid setup, but my favorite for precision is a good rear bag for the buttstock, and my Sinclair rest for the fore-end, I have a couple of different front bags on seperate posts so I can pick the right one depending on the rifles fore-end. It's really easy to get set up and dial in the same place in the front rest shot after shot.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fish,
thanks for the quick response...I have been using a lead-sled lately and, maybe it's me, but I think that sometimes something "shifts" from the time I pull the trigger until the time the bullet leaves the barrel. I often get groups of bullets touching each other, but the groups are a 1/2"or so apart.
I would like to hear some comments on this.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put me in the same category as Fish. I also use the Sinclair rest and highly recommend it.

I don't know anyone who uses the Lead Sled, so I can't help you there.

Posts: 203 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Wolfgar, I've been "needling" some of the guys that use the Lead Sleds on the Reloading Board for the past couple of days.

What you are seeing is not uncommon with ANY device designed to hold the rifle for a person. Minute changes in pitch, attitude or yawl is detected by the eye, when we are "holding" a rifle with sandbags, and we automatically compensate.

I use Sand Bags while Developing Loads and then go to normal Hunting Positions for the majority of my Range time.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Hart Competitive front rest and a Protektor rear bag filled with heavy Zircon sand for load development, zeroing, and checking. I try to use most of my range time for shooting off shooting sticks and free hand positions.

I feel this process prepares me most for the hunting fields.

Buliwyf

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
I have noticed with the the sled type of rest that there seems to be inconsistencies.. I do get decent groups but not as consistent as when I use my hunting partners separate front/rear system (I don't know the brand)...

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote