THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    slug accuracy w/hastings 5" rifled tube?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

slug accuracy w/hastings 5" rifled tube?
 Login/Join

<gamecock>
posted
Which slug, sabot(s) should give predictably better accuracy out of the Hastings "5 rifled tube at the end of a scoped 28" bbl.? Hunting range, 50 - 125 yds. This is my first venture into slug hunting, so if I can sort this thing out a bit before buying a moderate supply of each available brand it'll be a lot easier on the pocketbook (and the shoulder).

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey glenn, I kind of expected you to get a couple of responses, but I guess there are not a lot of shotgunners on-line right now.

I've got a buddy with a Ported 870 in which he uses the rifled Remington "Cation" tube. Not the exact same as the Hastings, but he has shot some fine groups with his rig. Biggest problem is it wears him out fairly quickly due to the recoil level.

Last time I saw him shoot it, he was trying to settle on which brand of shells to use. His shotgun is 3" capable, but as well as I can remember he was using 2 3/4" shells(that may be wrong) and getting over-lapping holes with Foster style Win & Rem shells at a measured 75yd. The Fed shells opened the group to about 2".

He was standing and leaning his off-side arm against a Pine doing the shooting. We were both amazed at the accuracy and it could have just been a fluke that they shot that well.

He also tried some Sabot style shells, but I don't remember the brand(s?). I do remember they were shooting 14"-16" LOWER at the 75yd target because they were obviously going much faster than the Foster style shells. I think they were running around 3", but he had beat himself pretty good by then.

His shotgun has iron sights and an unmodified trigger.

91 days to the Lowcountry opener! I thought I'd have a bunch of trigger time on the new Wby U-Lt by now, but there was a problem with the scope mounts. That should be resolved today or tomorrow. So, you might see Chris and me at the range just any time now. Hope to see you there.

------------------
Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills, Hot Core

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
<gamecock>
posted
Thx., Hot Core. To the range this week. If shoulder holds up should have results soon.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey glenn, I went to Woods Ferry Monday and had the entire Range all to myself. Had a great time and zero distractions. Reloading today and plan to hit the Mecklenburg Range later this week.

I'll be looking for a guy shooting slugs when I'm there. Not sure when Chris and I are going though.

------------------
Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills, Hot Core

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote