New
Find
Notify
Tools

woodleigh's
 Login/Join

<razorback>
posted
what are you guys opinions about woodleigh's. I shot some into newspaper at the range today and they look awesome. a mushroom with that has fan blades sort of . anyways, I am wanting to use these exclusively this year for everything because they are accurate.

one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
They are good bullets, if you like them, then by all means use them. I only hunt deer, hogs and black bear. Plus I use a 45-70 so I don't need a premium bullet, good old fashioned hornady bullets work fine for me, no bonded core, partition or homogenous copper hollow point for me.

------------------
Walk softly and carry a big bore!

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hey,
although i never have used them...they should be a good choice even on big game.
My gunsmith uses a .460Wthby. and told me that after using the Hornady�s for africafor a long time, he tooks the woodleigh�s and after he saw how "beautifull" the woodleigh bullet work on buff�s, it�his #1 choice.
A friend of me uses them in 9,3*74R on european Game and is exited , too.

I do have bought some for my 375 too, but I hadn�t any time to load them up to now.

Waidmannsheil
konst#1

------------------
My old User Name "konst" has been lost , on 20/5/02, after a ???????

Posts: 334 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use woodleigh's in my 45/70, 30/06 and my .416 and there an excellent bullet. They will also be used in my .585 when it arrives. They are an excellent bullet.

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<maral>
posted
Woodleigh is my favourite bullets for all kinds of game. I have used, or seen them used in 30-06,308Norma mag,8x68S,358 Norma mag, 9,3X62,375H&H,358Win,416 Rem, 45/70 and 458Win mag. These bullets really does what they are supposed to!I would like some 156g RN bullets in 6,5mm!

one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
From what I have heard they are great bullets

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
<SkiBumplus3>
posted
I used 250 grain Woodleigh Weldcores in a .338 WM last summer on a hunt in Zim. The worked very well and each recovered bullet looked like a button mushroom.

Ski+3

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
I am loading 500 grain Woodleigh Weldcores in my 458 Win Mag for my son's Cape buffalo hunt this summer.

2070 fps and MOA groups.

I tried some of their spitzers in 308 and the groups were not as good . . .

Posts: 1554 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great bullets. I've used the 300 gr softs and solids on a couple of trips to Africa. Took everything from impala to eland with one shot kills being the norm.

Also just returned from British Columbia where I dropped a couple of big black bears, one squared 7ft 1 1/2 inches and the other squared 6 ft 11 1/2 inches. Both dropped to the shot. I'm going to try the 160 gr in my 7mm Rem Mag for mule deer and antelope this fall.

If your rifle shots them well, you will be happy with the way they work.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi.
I use 340grs.Woodleigh bullets in my 416 Taylor. I use it for moose, and the bullet always goes trought. Even then it hit bones. It's a real "bone-crucher", but damages no meat. I've also tryed them in my 460wby, but never killed anything with it.(just ice!!)
I like the "protected point". [Big Grin]

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Scorpio [+] 4 pigs>
posted
Hi guys,

I'm heading to Northern Australia to do some Buffalo shooting with my Remington 700 BDL .7mm Rem Mag in a few weeks. Heaps of Aussie hunters have suggested I take some Woodleigh loaded bullets with me so I am.

I will be taking 4kg (100 rounds) of 175gr Woodleigh bullets with me and 40 rounds of 175gr Rem bullets as well.

Woodleigh Bullets are Aussie Made (thats why they are so good!! lol), and their company details are listed below:

Woodleigh Bullets
PO Box 15
Murrabit, Victoria 3579
Australia
Tel 61 3 54572226 Fax 61 3 54572339 http://www.woodleighbullets.com.au

After the trip I'll give a report on how they went.

Ciao, Matt [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
But will the Woodleigh soft nose bullets hold together at higer velocity in calibers like 577/585...?

Posts: 751 | Location: sweden | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Woodleigh is as good as any bullet on the market today and better than most..they are most dependable and time proven...

The only problem they ever had was when we started marketing big bores several years ago like the 460 Wby, 416, 404 and its many versions on improved cases and uping the velocity, they had to play a little catchup as their bullets were designed for the original velocities of 2100 FPS and even at that they worked 99% of the time...but they have fixed that now, they have toughened up the big bore rounds, and have added heavier bullets to several lines like the 350 gr. 375 and 450 gr. 416's...I like that, it should have been done years ago...

I used the 350 gr. Barnes bullets in a 375 H&H years back and they sure worked well on Buffalo but just were not dependable because the wouldn't expand at 100 to 200 yds., but they were hell and destruction at 50 yds and under.

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
I have never tried Woodleigh bullets, but would like to. Would someone be kind enough to tell me where to buy some .375s?

Thanks,

Tim

Posts: 1535 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Huntingtons buy@huntingtons.com www.huntingtons.com 530-534-1210 tel. 1212fax......

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ray.

Tim

Posts: 1535 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote