New
Find
Notify
Tools

New rifle replaces an old standby
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
BobVT. got me thinking about an old rifle that has been to the top of the mountain and back with me more times than I can recall. The blue is gone from the muzzle & the stock has more scratches on it than an old fence post. I have been hunting Elk, mule deer, and Antelope with a 30 year .270 Remington 700 BDL, (still has the original weaver K4) since I bought it slightly used at a hardware store in North Dakota in 1974. This year she's staying in the case as a backup on my Colorado Elk, & Wyoming Unit G Mule Deer & Antelope hunt. I bought a Tikka .338 Whitetail hunter for an African Plainsgame trip last year and it fits me like a $6000 custom rifle. 210 grain Barnes X bullets shoot under an inch off the bench, & they hit like lightning.
Do any of you have a nostalgic feeling for an old rifle?
The last time I felt like this was 5 years ago when I left my old gelding in the pasture and took a young horse on a trip.

Posts: 359 | Location: 40N,104W | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
Oh of course I have nostalgic feelings for some rifles and even a pistol.

One that comes to mind is my old M99 in .358 Winchester. It's flattened a lot of game. Early on a buck jumped up on me and started off at close range. I got a quick shot as it was in second gear and it went off on it's belly as it was quartering away. The deer dropped on it's nose as the 200 gr Silvertip did it's work.

I don't believe in luck but I am glad I stayed with that gun.