New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flying with Guns...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok guys, I leave on Fri. For my first Western hunt, and I'm in a bit of a pickle. I planned on shipping my gun out there so I didn't have to worry about flying with my rifle, but for reasons I can't explain, I can't find anywhere that will ship it for me. I thought I had it worked out weeks ago, but when I went to the UPS distribution center like UPS told me to do to ship my rifle, the people there told me they couldn't accept a rifle over the counter from me. I still didn't worry because I used to work at a gun shop and thought they would ship it for me, but when I brought it there I was told they no longer did that for me because there was too much liability involved and they simply don't do that anymore. In any case, I need to fly with my rifle now. Since I'm staying in the US (I fly from Pittsburgh to Denver to Riverton, WY), do I need to have any paperwork filled out, or do I just declare my firearms when I get to the airport Fri. Morning? I know I have to show up about 2 hours before my plane leaves, but is there anything else I need to do? I know I have to have it in a locked case and need to store the amm separately from my gun, but is there anything else I need to do or should know? I hate unplanned surprises like this, but I guess it happens when you're going to be traveling a decent way with a firearm. Thanks for anything you folks can help me with, I appreciate whatever input I can get.

I'm flying United Airlines if that helps any, too. I'll try to check with them to make sure I'm doing everything right but I'd rather get input from folks that have been there and done it also. Thanks In advance for any suggestions!

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
It's easy:

1. Be sure your gun is in a hard sided case. I would suggest a heavy duty padded aluminum one or something by SKG or Pelican that can be locked with padlocks.

2. The gun case must be locked and it cannot be locked with TSA locks. It must be locked in such a way that only you can open it.

3. Your ammunition must be in made for purpose cartridge containers. That means original factory boxes or after market boxes of some kind such as the various types of plastic ammo boxes. It cannot be stored in a magazine or cartridge belt. You're also limited to 11 lbs. of ammunition.

4. When you get to the ticket counter, tell the agent you're traveling with "sporting arms." You could also say firearms but the sporting arms terminology is more acceptable to some. You will be given a bright red or orange declaration tag that you must sign stating your firearms are unloaded. You then put this in your gun case.

5. Next, you take your baggage to the TSA baggage check area and tell them you're traveling with firearms. They will inspect your gun case right there and it will be locked and sent on its way. Stay there until you see your gun case on its way and they say they're done with you.

6. Do not put your scope or any other firearm parts in your carryon luggage.

Occasionally, TSA, for reasons only known to them, will decide to open your gun case even though they inspected it and locked it and in the process will cut your locks. Go to some place like Lowes or Home Depot and get a set of several padlocks keyed the same. Some put an extra set in the gun case with a note requesting they be used in case the locks are cut. I just carry an extra set in my carryon baggage. You could also use a combination lock(s).

You might consider some type of firearm insurance that covers your firearms when you travel. As an SCI member, I use the Sportsman's Insurance Agency, Inc. (www.siai.net).

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, sir, very helpful!

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote