Find
Notify
Tools

Same antler
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted
Finding the right side antler from the same deer, two consecutive years in a row. What are the odds? The photo may not show it well, but there are some very distinct features on each antler that leave no doubt that this is the same deer.

The picture does not show how big this deer is. This year he had 5 1/2" Bases and 24" main beam. Big deer.

Last year, while trying to dart a Red Deer, I stumbled on the antler. This year I was driving the Mule and ran over the antler. I heard it hit the bottom of the Mule and I thought, "That sounded like an antler." Stopped, looked back and there it was.

The funny thing is that last year I only found two antlers, guess who they both belonged to? Right and left antler from this deer.

In '04 I could recognize this deer when I saw him because of his long main beams and spacing between the tines is very big. The other antler had an exceptionally long main beam as well.

It is interesting to see the size difference from one year to the next.

The most ironic thing is that this is the most secretive deer on the place. I can not say for certain that I even saw him this year at all.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Think I'd have me a game cam set up around where you found the sheds come next Sep-Oct. Although I've had two out on our ranch for 3 years and have photos of only 5 bucks.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool stuff Wendell...It's interesting that the difference isn't a bigger difference, maybe it's more than I can really see in the picture--any idea what each antler would score in and of itself?

Hope you can nail him this fall!

Take Care--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I think the increase was about 5 inches, and I think it was all in mass. This year the antler scored 64" If you double it and add 16" as a generic spread, you are looking at a 145 buck. I think last year he was about 135.

We will see what he is next year.

For what it is worth, this is on a 1000 acre game fenced ranch, so I have more of an ability to track the growth of these deer.

I do put up game cameras and monitor their improvement. I just don't recall ever seeing this deer on any of the cameras.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wendell,
That's interesting for sure. When did you find these? What date? We found several sheds last year while turkey hunting right at April 1st.

I also found both sides, sheds, last year near a stock tank. I believe they were dropped the night before and were no more than 10 yards apart! I ended up shooting that deer the following fall!!

I don't have a game camera but I'm thinking about getting one.

That deer should be a whopper this coming year. I hope you get a picture of him..

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wendell,

If you don't want this bucks horns having a chance to pop your tire, I will gladly come down there and take care of the problem deer/antlers. All at no charge to you!!!! Smiler

Great Finds....

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
I assume this is from Red Bluff?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
SiearraBravo,

You are a generous person, I could not take your charity!

Bulldog,

Yes, these are from my ranch.

one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
Thats sweet! I found a shed one year and the previous years shed was lying about 15 yards from it. My neighbor picked up the next years set, and then killed him that fall. Here is the set and extra one I found and the buck.

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Now, that is pretty cool! What are the odds that the antlers would be dropped in the same place one year to the next?

Having three years of antlers can give you an idea how he progressed from one year to the next.

Did you measure them and compare?

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I found a picture of him on the game camera.