New
Find
Notify
Tools

38-55 for Moose?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
255 grain beartooth bullet (cast) out of a crazy horse commerative. bnh is about 21-22 for these bullets. Should be good for about 1800 fps. Plan to hunt in Maine in the next year or two. Have plenty of overpowered bolt guns (see 338 lapua) but thinking this could be a fun hunt if I keep things inside of 100 yards. Would like to hear if you think this is doable.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think this is very doable.

Most of the Indians here have been using 30-30's for years on much larger moose. They still are. I know of someone who shot a bison with a 38-55. The preformance and penetration was impressive.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
390ISH,

Please let us know the results of your hunt.
I have been toying with the idea of putting some challenge back in hunting by using some of the older cartridges. I would expect them to require closer stalks and better bullet placement. Sort of like going bow hunting but with a bit more effective range. Looking back over the hunts from many years in the field, there were many that could have been done with a 30-30. I won't be selling my 358 Norma Magum, but maybe I'll take a 30-30 or 444 Marlin out this year.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should do fine, assuming you get a permit in the lottery! Smiler I shot an 850 lb bull near Masardis in 2003 with a 165 gr winchester failsafe out of my 30-06. Per my guide, I aimed slightly below the shoulder hump and he dropped like a stone! The shot cut his spine.

FYI its not like it was 20 years ago, the shots at Moose in Maine are getting longer. Mine was taken at 230 yards.

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim."
Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, March 15, 1910

Posts: 251 | Location: Central Massachusetts | Registered: 02 June 2004Reply With Quote
<boreal>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by 390ish:
Would like to hear if you think this is doable.

A guy on the old Marlin forum called "Mainer" used his 38-55 with 250 gr (I think) bullets over black powder that was probably only 1200 fps or so to kill a cow (I think) moose in Maine (I think). He said it worked great. You might find him on marlinowners, 24 hour campfire, or one of the other shooting forums.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can win the Maine lottery in the next year or two I suggest you expand your exceptionally good luck plan and buy a lotto ticket !

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
390ish, I didn't do it, but a friend of mine with whom I've hunted, got really lucky last Fall in the Idaho Moose drawing, and pulled a ticket for Idaho Shiras bull moose. He used a .38-55 and killed a nice bull. I don't remember the bullet and powder charge.

He said he was about 90 yards away. He'd had a Marlin 336 .30-30 converted to .38-55. He really liked that cartridge.

Good luck on the drawing.

L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
pretty sure you're draw a permit in 1 or 2 yrs aren't you? But if you do a 38-55 has been a standard moose caliber in most of Canada for many,many years.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
if it's any reassurance I once shot a cow with factory winchester loads out of a 38-55. Penetration was indeed impressive went in between the eyes and exited out mid back after penetrating through about 4' of beef

Posts: 171 | Location: ontario canada | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I figured as much. Lots of guys living on the pueblo used 30-30 rifles for elk in new mexico. I still have not shot my 38-55 because beartooth bullets has a back log on .375 cal. bullets. I reckon all the lotteries are tight on results. Really like the way Maine pimps the hunt by offering more chances with more money. If it is anything like New Mexico, I will get a hunt as an out of stater before a resident.

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
390ish:

Have you slugged the bore of your .38-55??? This "caliber" can vary a bit. You'll notice at Beartooth that you have to choose between .376, .377, or .378. The .376 offering is usually for the .375 Win., while the .377 and .378 are for the .38-55.

Make sure before you order.

RSY

The real work of men was hunting meat. The invention of agriculture was a giant step in the wrong direction, leading to serfdom, cities, and empire. From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information. - Edward Abbey

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I talked to the tech guy at beartooth. He said that because the crazy horse was made in like 1983 the bore is standard and that I would have best results with .379 bullets.

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
According to their website, there is no .379 bullet offered by them. bewildered

The real work of men was hunting meat. The invention of agriculture was a giant step in the wrong direction, leading to serfdom, cities, and empire. From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information. - Edward Abbey

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd go with a GC .377 bullet and push it fast to swell into the grooves, anyway that's what I do with my Marlin 336CB 38-55 that slugged at .380 an it shoots well<1" @100

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He said .379 over the phone. I don't think I was drunk when we spoke, so maybe he has lead poisoning. I am going to take whatever he sends me. Has done me right on 32 win special bullets and 44 mag bullets in the past. Was late in the day, he probably got his numbers mixed up.