New
Find
Notify
Tools

Headed out Monday for big horn
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I leave Monday for my first attempt at Rocky Mountain big horn . This will be my first and perhaps only attempt at big horn.

I am not in the same physical condition I was in August when I failed on Dall sheep in Alaska. While in Zim, I walked the hills in Dande often covering 20 miles a day with no problem. Since I got back, I have not exercised my usual amount due to work, deer hunting and illness . I was down for a out a week with infections in my sinuses, both ears and my upper respiratory tract. I think I will be fine .

The down side is that this screws up prime time deer hunting for me. I recon hunting big horn instead ain't bad

I did desert big horn 3 years ago. Hopefully this will be as successful and fun.

I will report upon my return.

Posts: 12019 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Luck

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to you Larry! Where are you going hunting?

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429
peakwildlifeadventures@hotmail.com
www.peakwildlifeadventures.com

Posts: 295 | Location: Sk, Canada | Registered: 06 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Be safe, Larry... but that said.. You'll wear one out... I'll betcha a Crown and Seven at DSC!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a great trip Larry!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
Good hunting.

It is not enough to fight for natural land and the west; it is even more important to enjoy it...So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends...

- Edward Abbey

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck, Larry.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I can't wait for the report!

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am headed to Utah. I took the desert sheep there 3 years ago Saturday.

I have a cameraman going. Hopefully this will turn out good. I hear that the rams are fighting big time. This might be interesting.

Ernest, I will take you up on the Crown & 7!

Posts: 12019 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a safe and successful hunt!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hopefully you can come back with some great footage and a great ram!

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429
peakwildlifeadventures@hotmail.com
www.peakwildlifeadventures.com

Posts: 295 | Location: Sk, Canada | Registered: 06 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Good luck mate, will be waiting on your report when you get back.

K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Good luck to you my friend! Hope you score big time.

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Best of luck Larry! There was a really big ram killed on the Newfoundland just last week. As far as I know its the best ram ever killed there

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go get 'em Larry!

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Good luck Larry. I too leave Monday for a mule deer hunt in Montana. At 66 with a bum knee, I don't know how many more times I can chase mulies around the Badlands.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1384 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Good luck! Keep us posted.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
One of the worlds greatest hunts. Best of luck!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We went to the island this afternoon . We saw a ton of sheep. Unfortunately the largest sheep noted in scouting appears to have broken most of his right horn off while fighting.

The mule deer we saw were incredible.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck Larry!

I tend to use more than enough gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The sheep is down . I will file a full report later. I will say :

A- we covered a lot of miles in rough country.
B- the ram has staggering mass
C- the ram was shot at 527 yards

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
He's a beaut Larry! Huge congrats!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Wow! Wow!Great mass is right!
You deserve him brother!

One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted Hide Post
Got the pic last night Larry. Absolutely GREAT. Tremendous mass! So happy for you....way to go!

Posts: 503 | Location: Farmington, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote