New
Find
Notify
Tools

Berger VLD's
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone been using these bullets on elk or moose?

Bobby B.

Posts: 323 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the only info I have, except for what you read or see on the best of the west is Allan Rovig of McWhorter Rifles says they've been impressed with them on 300lb wild boar---all of them they have shot have either dropped in their tracks or moved 4 steps before taking the dirt nap. As we were talking he told me of a guy who bought one of their rifles(6.5 wby) dropped a moose in its tracks at like 550 yds and I thought he used Bergers. I will be using them this yr in my rifle on a Montana deer hunt....wish I had real life experience to give you but this is the best I can do.....chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Found this:

VLD (Very Low Drag) bullets have the highest possible ballistic coefficient designed for 300 yards or more. These bullets are less affected by wind and expand rapidly upon impact. VLD bullets feature a sharp nose that allows the bullet to penetrate 2" to 3" before they begin to expand. They were designed to shed 40% to 85% of its weight for a large amount of internal damage, producing wound cavities approximately 13" to 15" in length. Please note that the bullet should be touching the rifling when loaded and won't work in most magazines.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bobby, Is there a particular reason you are asking?

There are a whole lot of excellent Bullets which are actually Designed for Hunting Big Game as opposed to those which are actually Designed for Paper.

Good Hunting and clean 1-shot Kills(with a proper Bullet).

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a client 3 yrs ago that used the 140gr VLD out of his 264WM on an elk. 1st shot, perfect heart shot at about 300 yds. Elk was very sick but I asked him to punch him again. 2nd shot was just 2" back from the heart. Elk walked a slow circle and went down. He was dead when we approached. Both bullets fragmented on the off side shoulder but they did the job. Client said he was going to use Nosler Accubonds in the future as he preferred an exit wound. I agreed that my experience w/ Accubonds was generally better than this VLD performance.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 935 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never shot a moose but a 175gr VLD will just floor and elk from my 30/378. I use them and will continue in full confidence.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm very happy with them. Last year dropped a nice 5x5 Muley buck across a canyon at 298 yards DRT, And this year i took a 5 pt bull elk at a trot 250 yrds right behind shoulder. tiny entrance hole and lungs and heart massive damage with no exit. went about 6 steps and dropped. This is with 210 vlds from a 300rum. I also use them in my .264wsm (140gr vld) antelope DRT ! all 1 SHOT KILLS !

50bmg half inch holes ...... at long range!

Posts: 207 | Location: South Central Montana | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Hey Bobby, Is there a particular reason you are asking?

There are a whole lot of excellent Bullets which are actually Designed for Hunting Big Game as opposed to those which are actually Designed for Paper.

Good Hunting and clean 1-shot Kills(with a proper Bullet).
Berger advertises them as "Long Range Hunting Bullets."

VLD's

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flippy:
Berger advertises them as "Long Range Hunting Bullets."
Any idea what they changed from the Paper Design? Or did they just one day decide it is OK to Hunt with too?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote