New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your Best 270 Win Loads
 Login/Join

<Paul Dustin>
posted
Well we all know how great the 270 Winchester is and well it shoot. I have use it for Deer and Antelope. With shots of over 300yds and its work ever time mostly all one shot kills. My best 270 load is. Bullet Nosler 130gr BT, Primer CCI BR2 , Case Win, Powder 58gr Re22, OAL 3.266, At 3060fps. This is my 300yds+ Load. What is your best load in your 270 Win.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My pre-Garcia .270 gets higher velocity with less powder (and begins to show pressure with less powder, also) than the typical .270. As a result, 58.5 grains of original surplus 4831 behind an old Nosler Solid Base (lead nose) 130 grain bullet gives me 3200 FPS and outstanding accuracy.

A hunting buddy always used 60 grains of the same powder with a Sierra 130 with excellent results in a post-64 Model 70A.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Using W/W, once fired, neck sized only cases, my pre-Garcia SAKO gave 3,300 fps with 130 grain Sierra BT and Nosler Solid bases, shooting as tight as I might hold with 60 grains of IMR-4831.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Steve H>
posted
Check out the thread on Antelope you wi;; find some good loads there developed by New Navy - I have tried most of them and they are good

Steve H

one of us
posted Hide Post
In my 24" Stainless Remington 700
I use 60 gr of Rel 22 with 140 gr Hornady BT and 140 Swift A Frames.

Also use 60 gr Rel 22 with 150 gr Speer Hot Cores and Nosler Partitions. These go over 3,000 fps. and group MOA.

------------------
May I be half the man my dog thinks I am.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably belongs on the "favorite loads" forum but...

150-gr. Hornady Spire Point
56.5 gr. RL-22
Rem. case
CCI 200 primer

Bullet 0.030" from lands.

About a 2825 fps, easy 1 MOA load in my $150 Century Arms VZ-24 Sporter. This is a near-maximum load in my rifle, so work up to it!

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm still using the only load I ever tried. 130gr BT or Partition, 55.0grains of IMR-4350 for 3050 out of my 22" Remington, .5"groups with the BT's and .75" groups with the Partitions. I just got a Stoney Point setup and can't wait to try some more O.A.L variations to see if I can improve on this setup.

Mike

------------------
Victory through superior firepower!

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Deadmarsh>
posted
H4831 and 130gr flat-base spitzers go together in a 270 Win like ham & eggs. Set close to lands and work near max-loads. This will give you MOA hunting loads to 300 yards without a hitch. Good luck...

Dead

<Thunderstick>
posted
The following is my pick for a favorite 270 load:
61 grains of RL22
F-210m primer
130 Hornady SP

This produces 3100 fps in a 22" barrel and less than .5 MOA at 100 yards and .75 MOA at 500 yards on a calm day.
The nosler partition can be substituted for the Hornady with almost as good results.

one of us
posted Hide Post
All of my shooting has been with the 140, 150 and 160 grain bullets. No question about the best for me:

Hornady 150 grain spirepoint
58.0 gr H4831-SC
WW Case
WLR primer
MV 2975 fps (24" bbl)

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All the old surplus 4831 (4350 Data powder) one can cram in the case, usually about 60 to 62 grs. for either a 130 or 150 gr. bullet....Allways has been the best load since the beginning of mankind and the written word of Jack O'Connor.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<robbnsc>
posted
I use CCI BR-2 primers with 55 Grains of IMR4350, W-W cases. This load has shot under 1" 3-shot groups in several rifles.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
When I loaded the 270, RL22 gave top velocity with accuracy under 130 gr. Ballistic Tips at 3,150 in my 22" bbl'd Win 70. H4831sc was 50 fps slower and equally accurate. If loading it now I'd use H4831sc "Extreme" as it's "temperature insensitive." That sort of consistancy is more important than 50 fps.

Brad

One of Us
Picture of M4Finny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Dustin:
Well we all know how great the 270 Winchester is and well it shoot. I have use it for Deer and Antelope. With shots of over 300yds and its work ever time mostly all one shot kills. My best 270 load is. Bullet Nosler 130gr BT, Primer CCI BR2 , Case Win, Powder 58gr Re22, OAL 3.266, At 3060fps. This is my 300yds+ Load. What is your best load in your 270 Win.

130 gr. Nosler BT; 45 gr. IMR 4895; COL 3.425, cases trimmed to 2.530 gives me groups sub MOA.

Psalm 109:8 "Let his days be few; And let another take his office."

Posts: 31 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
You gota be shittin me you went back 8 1/2 years for this thread!

<Paul Dustin> is not even around anymore...is he?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eight years! Well, why not, the 270 is always good news. I've got three different loads I'm using now in two different rifles (Pre '64 M-70 24", custom Mauser M-98 22"). For deer, sheep, or pronghorns: Hornady 130 SP Interlock and 60.0 H-4831 gives about 3140 fps or Hornady 140 BTSP Interlock and 57.5 IMR-4831 for 3120 fps. For elk: Nosler 150 Partition and 56.0 IMR-4831 goes 3020 fps. All group around 1" and use Remington brass and CCI-200 primer.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
60 grs of H4831 SSC and 130 gr.Nozler Ballistic tip.Dont recall the MV ,but is super accurate and shoots like a lazer. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh, Jeazous! Mine was the first reply eight years ago, which jarred me into the realization of just how long I've been squandering what little time I'm alloted on this Earth. Oh well, it could be worse -- it could have been spent working.

But do I stil shoot that same load, and it's a dandy! I've still even got some 4831 surplus powder for it. Big Grin

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M4Finny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

Is it better to say nothing and have people think your crazy......Or speak so everyone knows your totaly out of your mind?

Stick to the former.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M4Finny:
quote:

Is it better to say nothing and have people think your crazy......Or speak so everyone knows your totaly out of your mind?

Stick to the former.

Nice to meet you there M4.... I can speek with my mouth shut... Welcome to AR.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M4Finny
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by M4Finny:
quote:

Same here Ted. Yes, I plead guilty to resurrecting an old discussion thread. But, I have just recently begun handloading for the .270 Win and look to these forums for guidance. Once an awhile, I will contribute as well. AR is probably the most knowledgeable group of shooters, hunters and handloaders that I have found on the WWW.

Stick to the former.

Nice to meet you there M4

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR forums Finny!
Go easy on Ted he is one of the "good guys".....
I too thinks it funny a thread so old is "resurrected".

These forums are an absolute wealth of info and I got hooked as soon as I realized how much information and experience reside on these boards, hell I feel priviledged to be able to contribute now and then when something falls in my area of experience or expertise.
Welcome aboard.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Oh, Jeazous! Mine was the first reply eight years ago, which jarred me into the realization of just how long I've been squandering what little time I'm alloted on this Earth. Oh well, it could be worse -- it could have been spent working.

rotflmo

Stonecreek, this has been one of the most funniest post I have ever read on AR !!! thumb

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I quit loading my own.....Hornady Light Mags in 130 grain..... thumb

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Howdy Bill,
Do you still have the uruguayan flag hanging somewhere around your home ?? Smiler

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
130 gr anything with RL22 has produced one hole groups in my Win 70 with Boss. I swear it is impossible to miss with that thing.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lorenzo:
Howdy Bill,
Do you still have the uruguayan flag hanging somewhere around your home ?? Smiler

L

Yes, happily. But now it is buried in eight feet of snow in the front of my house !!!!!! Small chance of being in Montevideo in May...if so will want to rent a car and take my lady to see Punta....

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
OK, no worry Bill, just let me know once you decide the possible dates and I will work on it... Big Grin

L

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lorenzo:
OK, no worry Bill, just let me know once you decide the possible dates and I will work on it... Big Grin

L

Gracias, amigo

Theodore Roosevelt