New
Find
Notify
Tools

ARGO
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Sorry about posting here but there is not very much action on the ATV site. I have an opportunity to buy and older (1989) Argo. 6 wheel model, single speed, 18 hp Tecumsen motor. Axles have the grease nipple hubs but not splined just the shear pin style. Seems to be in great shape with new tires, chains, belt, battery and brake pads. The brake rotors are not scarred. It started pretty easy considering it was below freezing. It has a winch but no skid plate. The bottom has very very few marks on it and does not leak anywhere. What can anyone tell me about owning an Argo? The pitfalls and benefits of owning one. I am going back to take another look today and will check to see if it has manual or auto chain tighteners. Anything else I should be looking for? I will be using it on cutlines for hunting moose and getting gear into and out of camp. Smokey

Posts: 160 | Location: Whitehorse Yukon Canada | Registered: 20 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Argos especially the 8 wheelers do haul a lot of gear.They are however noisy, very slow and extremely rough riding.They also require a lot of maintenance on chains and often break shearpins which can be a real pain to replace.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
stubblejumper is right. An Argo will go almost anywhere, but they break down CONSTANTLY. Keep the chains tight and lubricated, and keep a supply of shear pins on hand. So long as you keep clean oil in the engine, replace the spark plug every so often, and don't leave gas in it during the off-season, it will last practically forever.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I owned a 1999 8 wheeled Conquest, it did break down one time, in my driveway. I loved it, but I would stay away from one without the splined shafts. Mine sure saw a lot of Alaska before I sold it.

Posts: 148 | Location: Currently located in Southern New Mexico | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine has two of them at his place in South Carolina to take clients out. They are a maintenance nightmare, but no other vehicle can get to where we have our stands in the swamp. jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned an 8X Argo for about 6 years now.

1- you WILL need tracks in deep snow. They will go through pretty much anything but the boat body floats up on the snow and high centers so you will not go after about 10-12" unless you are running snowmobile hardpack or lake ice.

I have a standard track kit for mine(they also offer a super track) and it has handled anything Northern Michigan winters have thrown at it.

It will not be fast compared to the 4 wheelers out there and with the track kit it will be much slower.
If you want to cross any water bigger then streams, creeks or small slow rivers, you will want some small motor to put on it. They sit like a cork on the water and are susceptable to wind and current because the wheels just don't give that much propulsion
BUT
It will go places that NO 4 wheeler can go and will carry loads that would be impossible for a 4 wheeler.
I have loaded 800 pounds of firewood in the back of mine in the winter and it just carries it away without a problem.
I can carry 6 adults down the road if I want to and I can safeley water navigate with 3 adults (750 pounds )
You will want a windshield kit for winter because there is no protection like a snowmobile.
You will have to rethink "driving" becaue the turning is so quick you will spin the back end into things until you get used to being in something that manuevarable.

It is not as fast as a 4 wheeler but carries more.
it is not a boat but it will get you across the water, though it may look funny.
It is not as fast as a snowmobile but it will carry more people or cargo then one.

I don't own a 4wheeler, or a boat, or a snowmobile.
I just own 1 vehicle for all the above
I own an Argo.

One more thing, my Argo has never broken down, though I have had it stuck once, and when they get stuck you will want a comealong or a winch.

[ 10-25-2003, 07:03: Message edited by: LAWCOP ]

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lawcop,
Looks like you have used yours lots. You say yours has never broken. How much maintenance to you do to your machine? This one is the older model with the shear pins. How much of a hassle is it to change one when it breaks? I assume yours is the splined axle. Would it be worth my while to change over to the splined axles or too costly? Thanks everyone for your replies. Smokey

Posts: 160 | Location: Whitehorse Yukon Canada | Registered: 20 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I will find out for myself how much work/fun the Argo will be. I decided to buy it and will pick it up on Monday. It comes with a complete second Argo for parts. The motor needs to be rebuilt in this one and is missing some wheels and tires but everything else is there. Hopefully this is not a sign that I NEED a whole second Argo for parts. Smokey

one of us
posted Hide Post
BASICALLY IT used as a work vehicle for around the place where I live in the woods and then the boys use it for tearing around in the woods seeing how big the trees they knock down can get and also how much mud they can stir up as they splash through the various potholes and pond.

Maintenence has just been keeping it greased and fed clean gas and watch the chains for being adjusted. I have the sump pump to bail if the water gets too deep(inside) and the windshield to keep the wind off for cold weather.

I would imagine it would be an interesting exercise to change out the axels to splined.

Most dealers are ordering them now with winches already installed because an after fit looks like it could be a pain to add.
I just keep a comealong in the back and a length of heavy rope in case I do something stupid to stick it, because when it gets stuck it WILL be stuck. Good thing is they don't get bogged or stuck very often. I have only needed retrieval equipment once.

If headed for water, keep a paddle or a long pole handy just to help manuevering because as I previously said they are like a cork on the water and at the mercy of the wind and current.

You WILL have fun with it.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote