New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold VX-III vs Zeiss Conquest
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I asked this on another forum and boy everybody sure liked the Conquest over the Leupold but thought I would ask here. If you could choose a 3.5-10x40 VX-III or a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 which one would you choose. I know some are very biased and thats okay, I am just asking can Zeiss's lower end Conquest be that much better than the VX-III's which are Leupold's better scopes? I know the Leupold is a little lighter than the Zeiss, which is also a factor. I have never bought high dollar optics and am dabbling in it after buying a set of the new Minox ASPH binos, man they are a lot crisper than my Nikon Monarchs both the same power and objective. Looking for opinions on this one.

Posts: 170 | Location: Interior Alaska | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read that post and to be honest I was quite surprised myself. I'll bet that better than 90% picked the Conquest and yes I do too. I think the optics are a bit better and like the Z-plex alot. Weight is nat an issue as 3oz. can't be considered to make that much of a difference. And lastly, I think that you can probably find them for quite a bit cheaper than a similar model VX-III.

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned and used both extensively. I was disappointed in the Conquest as my eye did not see as well out of it as the VX III. I traded my Conquest for a Leupold on AR a few weeks ago.

I lined up both at the range and shot both on .300 win mags. I could easily see better from the Leupold.

In the field, I knocked the Conquest off zero easier than the Leupold. I just don't have confidence in the Conquest.

Nothing against the Conquest, just not the best one for me.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
I'm a Leupold VX3 fan. I own 4 of them, 3 with the BC reticle (3.5x10x40, 4.5x14x40, 6.5x20x40) and 2 Vari-X III's. All on magnum calibers, and they have been put thru our cold tough winters here in Alberta- no problems. I have one thats been on my Sako m75 SS 300WM for 8 years(Vari-X III scope 3.5x10x40) thats been thru it all. It rides in my gun scarab on the quad when out at moose camp every year, being shaken around, and the zero on this scope has never changed or moved at all!

For me in Canada, if I had any problems with Leupold scopes, the warranty depot is in southern Alberta. For Zeiss, I would have to send it either to the USA or overseas.

I believe Zeiss is over priced compared to the Leupolds.

Go with the VX3 BC reticle. It works as they say it does.

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Weaver, two Redfield Widefields (the old-good ones), Two Burris Signatures, Four Leupolds Vari X lll's, and Five Ziess Conquests (the last is two months old). I do a lot of shooting, three days a week weather permiting, I also hunt extensively all over North America and one short but fine African Safari. My scopes are tools, not attractive toys, they take a beating in all kinds of weather, therefore they must perform. All of the above scopes listed have served me well. At present the Ziess Conquest is the brightest, clearest, and has the best coatings, without spending $1,500 to $2,000 per scope. All my present scopes perform as to pin point accuracy, and I would never replace a scope that does it's job, but when I set up a new outfit, at present it is with the Ziess Conquest. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2356 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AlaskaCub, I recently got a new rifle and had it scoped with a Leupold VX III, 4x14x40. I have been using Swaro, Zeiss VMV and Zeiss conquest since the 'old' Vari X III days. As soon as I got this rifle out of the box and shouldered it I was massively disappointed. To hear someone say they could see better out of the Leupold, they have funny eyes. I make no bias on scopes based on where they are made, what they cost etc. when judging their clarity, and brightness. I think the Zeiss Conquests are the best value in a scope on the market when judging cost in the equation. I will be returning the Leupy quickly, and it will be my last ever, unless they have a new one come out, and I look through it before buying it.

I think the difference is big enough that you could judge it in regular daylight, but I know you can in the last few minutes of the evening light. If you can, go to a shop and take a peek through both to help you make your decision, or just order the Zeiss and be done with it!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Zeiss Conquest any day !!!

I have one mounted on my .375 and another on my .308 ... excellent optical definition and mechanically second to none ... its Zplex reticle is just what I wanted for those long shots that can be done during daylight aswell as for those ones being made in poor light conditions, without hiding the target ...

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Having owned both and compared them side by side under actual hunting conditions,the conquest is brighter to my eyes.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My two cents:

I have used many Leupolds, a few Ziess', many Swarovskis and two Schmidts. Zeiss's claim to fame is their glass and I do like their glass. However, in my experience, as well as several of my other hard core hunting buddies, while the image is of superior quality, the Zeiss's "ruggedness" is at the bottom of the pile. My last Zeiss was purchased, mounted on my custom 300 mag and produced sub quarter inch groups...so far, so good. Midway through our deer season, while culling does on a local plantation, I start missing gimme shots at 150-200 yards off a rest. Back to the range and low & behold it now can't keep the shots inside a 2 foot circle! I complain to the local gun shop where I bought it from and, to their credit, they told me to bring it back and swap it for what I want. Got basically the same scope in a Swarovski. The owner told me they got 6 Zeiss scopes in that shipment and their customers had all returned them for the same reason! No problems out of the Swarovski at all! Back to the .2" groups and we are back in business. Another case in point is another friend of mine used to be a Zeiss guy until his German manufactured Zeiss gave up its zero as well....now he is Swarovski only now.

Read between the lines: there are many knowledgable gunwriters that have slammed Zeiss for the same reason...one big writer a few months ago was telling anyone that would listen that "glass is not the whole story here...ruggedness counts too". His reference to Zeiss could not be ignored. More than one custom gunsmith has gone on record as saying that they did not care for Zeiss as well, especially because the scopes were not waterproof with the caps off!

I'll stick with my Leupolds, Swarovskis and Schmidts.

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote