Tools

BIG boar - guess the weight?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen, let the games begin...

-

This is my beast boar to date, taken November 2000 in my "back paddock"

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
<David King>
posted
Nice boar... Nice hat too! Is that a Rover?

How about 370 pounds???

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
486# [Big Grin]

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
<Boyd Heaton>
posted

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking 375 before reading any other guesses.

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post
150 kg. Looks like a pure wild boar with no domestic breed mixed in, so they don't get much bigger than this. Express looks like he is sitting a yard or so back from the boar.
One of the best boars I have seen, congratulations.

one of us
posted Hide Post
425 lbs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
200 kg is a whole lot of weight for a wild boar. I'm guessing this one is less, 160 kg. I would have said 150 kg, but that was taken ;-)

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He's about 459lb, with about 75lbs of side armor per shoulder. [Big Grin] NICE HOG. Did he go down hard?

Posts: 132 | Location: Anacortes WA | Registered: 04 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How far behind the boar are you kneeling ? [Razz]

Posts: 363 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: 20 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I'll guess 615 pounds

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
175kg

Bakes

Posts: 7995 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
90kg, dressed weight.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
550 lbs.

What a boar!!

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
456 1/2 lbs. I'm assuming that we're following 'The Price is Right' rules, with any overbids getting DQ'd.

What did I win? A BRAND NEW CAR, SAY YOU? [Smile] [Smile]

Leighton

[ 09-28-2003, 00:27: Message edited by: lhonda ]

Posts: 142 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 15 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well...You guys are gonna be in for a surprise!

Two of you are are close, very close.

This big old boar didn't put up any "fight" as many might imagine...I was sitting in the middle of a field with my ex girlfriend just pausing and watching before proceding.

From our left, this boar came trotting through the grass headed aross field in front of us.

He was at a slow trot and I was hoping he would stop somtime, offering a good shot.
When he was directly in front of us at around 60 or 70 meters away, and still heading for the bush on the other side, I fired with my 7mmRemMag.

The boar showed no signs of being hit, neither slowing down nor breaking stride.

He dissappeared into the long grass and we lost him as the light quickly diminished and we were just going round in circles in the dark looking for him.

I remember the girl saying not to get too upset about losing him because he was only a little one and I most likely missed him...

Next morning at sunup I was down there standing on the roof of the Landrover. Through the fog I saw what looked like a log, which was unusual in the middle of a cultivated field, which upon closer inspection prooved to be him.
The biggest boar I have ever personally seen in the wild.

The bullet has zipped right through the shoulders without opening up and caused very little damage.
This was the begining of my disliking for the 7mmRemMag, as I was to see this happen several times again.

I'll wait and see some more guesses before I go revealing the true weight of this bloke.
[Razz]

(BTW I was kneeling a little way back from him, but I had to keep a leg out propping him up. As you can see, all four legs are on the same side, and with no support we kept falling over into his side. The distance could not have been any more the a legs' length away))

[ 09-28-2003, 00:40: Message edited by: EXPRESS ]

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
<DavidP>
posted
I'll bite...385lbs.

By the way, Nice Boar!

posted Hide Post

Posts: 174 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
525 pounds

Posts: 302 | Location: west virginia | Registered: 10 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
EXPRESS,

Nice boar. You say you are unhappy with the 7mm Rem. Mag. but you failed to say what the load was. I don't think it the cartridge but the bullet you picked that failed you. By the way 470 lbs. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
not a pound over 450. i agree w/lawdog--you picked the incorrect bullet, not the caliber.

Posts: 510 | Location: pa | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
368 1/2 lbs [Big Grin]

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
<OTTO>
posted
This has gone on long enough. Give us the weight now brother.

one of us
posted Hide Post
145kg

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Russ D>
posted
I'll guess 429 live weight, 417 when you weighed him.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll guess 170 kg. But maybe we'll have to wait a bit for the answer since there is a black-out in much of Italy just now. Where you affected, EXPRESS?

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can I play, or are family and friends excluded from taking part in this competition!!??!! [Smile] C'mon bud - put them out of their misery!

rgds Ian

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
155 kgs gutted. How long were the tusks?

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Doc in Texas>
posted
I would guess uts around 540 pounds and its a great Boar.

Doc

one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted Hide Post
My guess is 475#.

Nice Pig.

cwilson

Posts: 715 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
240 KG

That is a big bastard!

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Reloader66>
posted
Looks exactly like my ex-wife at 204 lbs in the buff.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!.. I guess 140 kilograms.

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JUST AS an aside...

has anyone else been in the men's room of the Bass Pro Shop in Pontiac Mi?

On the wall they have a picture and caption about a boar taken in Russia. the picture is of a HUGE boar.

Tha claimed weight is 1100-1200 pounds (I can't recall the exact quoted weight, but it IS BIG))

Wonder if they have the same thing in the restrooms of the other Bass Pro Shops around the country.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LAWCOP:
JUST AS an aside...

On the wall they have a picture and caption about a boar taken in Russia. the picture is of a HUGE boar.

Tha claimed weight is 1100-1200 pounds (I can't recall the exact quoted weight, but it IS BIG))

Wonder if they have the same thing in the restrooms of the other Bass Pro Shops around the country.

Lawcop...You arent prone to hang out in men's restrooms, are you??LOL..sakofan..Just kidding [Big Grin]

My guess is 475 lbs.

[ 09-29-2003, 20:37: Message edited by: sakofan ]

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sakofan:
quote:
Originally posted by LAWCOP:
JUST AS an aside...

Lawcop...You arent prone to hang out in men's restrooms, are you??LOL..sakofan..Just kidding [Big Grin]

My guess is 475 lbs.

IT WAS either that or pee on one of their fake trees in the hunting tree stand section and I didn't think THAT would be appreciated. [Big Grin]

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My guess, 342lbs.

Posts: 208 | Location: Lat:32.346;Long:86.174 | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lawcop, I just left Bass Pro Shop about 2 hours before I read your post.LOL
In Charlotte, N.C...sakofan..I did not however, use the laterine..

[ 09-29-2003, 21:13: Message edited by: sakofan ]

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
242 kg - Christer stole my original guess [Embarrassed]

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote