Find
Notify
Tools

I guess I just disagree
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,
I have deleted this post because it was worded rudely.....uneccessarily so.
My apologies to the board and the poster in question.

My opinion on the topic stands.....the 7-08 and the .260 are twins......there is no real world difference...
how can there be???

Anyways, my post was in poor taste.....and has now been rectified.

[ 06-24-2002, 07:29: Message edited by: Johnny Ringo ]

one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
Johnny Ringo

Of course they are twins! We all know it. But we are all full of BS, sometime. We all like to stir the pot once in awhile.

Maybe we just have too much time on our hands...

Tim

Posts: 1534 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hold on now, Johnny. One of these cartridges is .264 and the other one is .280. .016 is a pretty serious difference to a micrometer. [Big Grin]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Besides, I don't have either one of these fine cartridges, so it's pretty hard for me to get too viceral about it.

On the other hand, there's nothing gun nuts had rather debate than my gun VS your gun. [Smile]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Ringo:
I'll bet you could shoot 1000 deer and never see a difference.

Yeah, and you could shoot another 1000 with a 30-06, and another 1000 with a 7mm Mag, and STILL not see the difference. What's your point? Just spoiling for a fight tonight? The guy made a comment, it's his opinion. You don't agree with it. Fine. Lay off the hard ass stance. 99% of the stuff on here isn't exactly life or death, so ease off a bit. [Roll Eyes]

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Ringo:

this guy is COMPLETELY full of shit.

a 170 vs a 140 is significant, if you are into SD and BC. i'll take your first quote, and say that you are just spoiling for a fight.

Posts: 38610 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now I feel better.

[ 06-24-2002, 06:23: Message edited by: Johnny Ringo ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
The truth is when it comes to killing power, there is little if any difference in anything between the 257 Roberts to 30-06 and only a little more with the 300 Magnums...At least as far as I can tell from actual use on game...

Trajectory difference is minor also from a practical hunting point of view....

I think it was Jack O'Conner who wrote about a game ranger who culled Elk at Jackson with a 30-06 and a 375 and took notes on how far each animal went from the same shot...The 375 won that contest by less than 20 feet as I recall...That's about what I have observed.

If any of you can prove me wrong I encourage you to do so, but don't cluster me with paper balistics because they don't jibe with lung shot deer or Elk.

Posts: 41976 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<6.5 Guy>
posted
The late Finn Aagard once wrote that in his opinion, you need to increase energy levels by 40-50% on big game animals to really notice much difference in killing power.

He personally shot, or witnessed the shooting of, more game animals than most of us will ever hope to see. Just about everything he wrote was pretty straight, and I can't say I've seen much in my relatively limited (compared to his) real world experience to contradict that particular statement.