THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Shooting sport in the Salt Lake area in these Olympic times?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting sport in the Salt Lake area in these Olympic times?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi guys, over the ocean.(specially in Utah)
Congratulations with some great Olympic Games.(and thanks for all the medals)
I wonder if you have hidden all your guns these days? I belive the security around the Olympic area dont like folks driving around with their cars full of "long range rifles", or am I wrong?
(maybe a stupid question, but I still wonder!)(probably because I am stupid, but who cares........I'm still happy!)

------------------
Shoot well, and hit hard.

Arild.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No need for thanking us for the medals, 460wby, your folks earned them! And congratulations. Your country has some incredibly talented athletes.

I grew up in SLC but have avoided the Olympic conflagration. Stayed put here in Wyoming and enjoyed the view from the television!

Regards to Norway.

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Once again, congratulations on fine performances from Norway's athletes... some very thrilling stuff.

I live about 35 miles north of Salt Lake City, and have carefully avoided the festivities.

My daughter was a volunteer, driving a shuttle van at Snow Basin. Based on what she reports, and what I've learned from other sources, you could not get a toy pop gun into any of the venues. To get in, you go through airport type security. I'm close to Hill Air Force Base, and we constantly hear Blackhawk helicopters going out on patrol, with infra-red sensors and such. They carefully patrol the mountains. One photographer out in the backwoods suddenly found himself surrounded by polite, but heavily armed people who wanted to know what he was doing out there by himself.

Utah has a lot of people with "concealed carry" permits. They are not permitted to have a firearm in a venue. One local commentator noted that it might have been better to allow them, and post signs saying, "Terrorists, Utah's 35,000 concealed firearm permit holders welcome you."

Even so, it is not a problem to drive around with a firearm in your trunk. As long as it is not loaded, and you do not go into a secure area (like an airport or Olympics venue), state law guarantees your right to do this.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You gotta luv them Norskies. Too bad about the Ski Yumping

[This message has been edited by elmo (edited 02-20-2002).]

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys!!
But I agree. Our ski-jumpers look like they have lead in their asses.

------------------

Arild.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I visited Utah 3 years ago on a business trip, and stayed three days in Salt Lake City. Did some shopping at Gallesons on 166 East 200 South. Lots of goodies for a gun nut like me. Bought two Leupold scopes, dies, bullets, pistol holsters and some other nice to have things. Went to Logan for a couple of days and dropped in at Smith and .... ( forgot the second name ) on the way north along the lake. Lots of stuff to buy !!!

I made my self a promise that I shall be back some day, becauce it wass really a facinating and beautiful place.

And like my name brother...I really enjoy ( actually I�m bursting with pride !!) the way the athletes represent Norway.
Regards Arild

Posts: 1880 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Arild...

It's Smith and Edwards, and it is practically a local institution. Like you, I love wandering around, looking at all the toys. Sometimes, when I have just a little extra time, I'll eat lunch there at the deli. In the summertime, you fairly often find yourself sitting next to real, working cowboys, sometimes with their spurs on. It is the only place I know that you can buy guns, reloading components, welding rod, stuff for your horse's saddle and bridle, wool underwear, boots, outdoor cooking supplies,and milsurp junk. Every January, they have a big gun sale and auction, and that is a big local event.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I die I hope for two things . . . lots of wild game and a Smith and Edwards!

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I got to see Mr. Olie (no chance of "ME" being able to spell his last name) win his 4TH Gold Medal in a 4x7.5km Biathlon Relay match.

Absolutely outstanding breath and heart control after skiing the majority of that distance. For some TOTALLY UNKNOWN reason, NBC provided excellent camera coverage in a split frame - Mr. Olie in the left screen holding the rifle as steady as a vice and in the left screen you could see close-ups of the actual target. You could even see the individual bullet impacts as he knocked them down.

Even more AMAZING, there were no Ultra-Liberal comments from the "Radical-Leftist Talking Heads" about the shooting.

Not only is Mr. Olie someone for you all to be Proud of, but your entire Biathlon Team is as deserving. Congratulations on a very well prepared group of Shooters representing your country.

------------------
Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills, Hot Core

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, thank tou, thank you!!!!!
We are offcorse very proud of our boys and girls over there, but this is soon starting to get embarrasing.

------------------

Arild.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
How about that Skeleton competition?? With all the hype surrounding "Jimmy" and his big win hes sure to become a celebrity. Im sure they will be pounding his door down for endorsements. Congradulations to all the hard working athletes who are so deserving!

I had a delevery today at the hotel where the Intl Olimpic comittee happens to be staying, its a virtual fortress! There was no public access to the hotel whatsoever. The entire block was fenced off and policemen and armed guards with m-16s guard the entrances. We had to drive to a parking lot near the hotel where several tents were pitched in a lot and army personell were everywhere. Luckily for me it was only two boxes. They had to scan the boxes through an x-ray machine and then have them taken back to the hotel by the logistics personel. The army guy came out of the tent with a box and smiling he said....Its two mop buckets!

[This message has been edited by Wstrnhuntr (edited 02-22-2002).]

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Hey Hot Core, that must have been you I bumped into at the relay! Pretty amazing stuff, small world.

I agree, you couldn't get a 22 round into the actual spectator areas. Also, going to target practice anywhere close would engender more than a little interest from the men in snow camo. A good friend of ours is in the National Guard in Ogden (special forces reserves), and his unit is hiding in the woods outside Park City. They have everything from duplicate radar installations on the mountain tops to various and sundry motion detectors and other gizmo's all over those mountains. If a mouse farts, these guys know about it....

Still, it was way cool to watch Bode Miller bomb down the hill on his second run yesterday and earn his Silver. Almost as amazing as watching Derek Parra bust the world record all to hell (even if he had to destroy a Dutchman's world record to do it). Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Dutch, I just reread my post, and I left out "saw Mr. Olie on TV". Sure didn't mean to mislead you or anyone else. I wasn't in Utah.

Now, my Honey was out there and had a great time. She said it was a whole lot of waiting in line and thousands of folks everywhere which she loves. I'm just the opposite of that and occasionally feel crowded sharing 1000acres with another person.

------------------
Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills, Hot Core

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
<k wood>
posted
I just got home the olympics, it was pretty cool. Security was tight. Everyone went through metal detectors, people were pulled out and randomly searched, (at least it looked random to me). Every bag was hand searched, cell phones, camera's, video camera's had to be turned on to show they actually worked. They took my binoculars out of the case and looked through them. This was to get into Olympic square and the actual venues. Any place a vehicle could enter (spectators could not drive into anything) they had national guardsmen checking everything, trunks, under hoods, underneath the vehicle. As far as the rest of Salt Lake I carried my Glock, loaded as usual. As far as lines went I never waited more than a few minutes to get in. I waited longer to buy souviners than anything else. BTW the stuff was cheap $60 for a cow bell! Krispy Kreams for $1 each! USA hockey jerseys $90 each and there were hundreds of people wearing them. All in all I'm glad I went. (I got my tickets for free though)