New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wyoming Bound
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Tomorrow that is. Looking to hunt Mule deer around Bairoil/Stratton Rim/Green and Crook Mt (by the way how do you pronounce Bairoil). Any last words of advice for that area?
dancing

Posts: 100 | Location: Kenna, WV | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
It is pronounced "bear oil".

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. That is the way I was using it, but worried my WV accent might be distorting it somehow. Anybody familiar with this area? Any helpful hints or advice?

Posts: 100 | Location: Kenna, WV | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Am I the only one NOT going to Wyoming this year?

Sigh

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
From what I see, yes you are!!!

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ELKMAN2:
From what I see, yes you are!!!

Thanks, I feel better now dancing

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBoutfishn:

Nope, I'm out too this year (back surgery). I'll be back next year though. I'm really missing it too!

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Teat Hound:
quote:

Nope, I'm out too this year (back surgery). I'll be back next year though. I'm really missing it too!

Sorry your out also. Mine was L4/L5 disc explosion.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Teat Hound:
quote:

Sorry your out also. Mine was L4/L5 disc explosion.

L4-L5-S1 fusion (etc) and a c5-c6 fusion. I'm on the mend though.

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I have a C3-4 spur and C3-4,4-5,5-6 bulging discs, I'm doing PT but I leave for elk camp in the morning!!! I can find some young broncos to pack if needed!! Sorry about all the pain you guys are having 4-6 inches of snow coming in the Big Horns tonight ans tomorrow!!

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ELKMAN2:
I have a C3-4 spur and C3-4,4-5,5-6 bulging discs, I'm doing PT but I leave for elk camp in the morning!!! I can find some young broncos to pack if needed!! Sorry about all the pain you guys are having 4-6 inches of snow coming in the Big Horns tonight ans tomorrow!!

Good luck with your hunt.

No more pain for me, just stiffness.

-eric

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
No more pain for me, just stiffness

Good to hear Eric, When was the work done? I am only a week post surgery, the back is fine, the pain is in the left leg but is improving.

Elkman2 have a great hunt and be careful. I am thinking if I had let some of those young broncos help more I would be out hunting now.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
WVBLUE, I appologize for hijack

Reading all of the posts has me in a major funk. I have reloaded every piece of brass I can find around the house, and watching all the deer in the yard only makes it worse (wife's pets)

Good luck on your Mule Dear hunt, have fun.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
All the non-residents are the reason I will never live in Wyoming again. Between the damn bike rallies, Yellowstone touristas, and the non-res hunters the place is a zoo.

At least in Alaska you can get away from it all.

Wyoming is kind of ruined, from what it was when I was kid.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I've heard the same complaints from native Alaskans.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I just bought my 2007 and 2008 Alaska resident big game tags. It was $50 for both of them. According to the states website I have been a resident for 6 years and 6 months.

I am going to assistant guide from August 15th till September 15th in 2008 if I am not in Iraq or Afghan.

Alaska is 550,000 square miles and has 770,000 ish people. Wyoming is 80,000 square miles and has 500,000 people. The 3 biggest towns in Wyoming are bigger than all but one Alaskan city.

You can't drive to Alaska from Minnesota, Texas, California, Wisconsin, or Pennsilvania in 20 hours. This alone keeps down the non-resident pressure. These are the top five non-res plates in the parking lot at Rocky Mountain Sports in any town in Wyoming that has one during the hunting season.

There will always be non-resident pressure in Alaska, but compared to Wyoming it's pretty limited.

The only posative thing I have to say about Wyoming game and fish is that they have a law keeping unguided non-resident hunters out of wilderness areas.

The negative sides to WGF ; wolf and bear management sucks, mule deer have been undermanaged extensivly, pronghorn antleope and elk are managed for the amount of money they bring in not for the benifit of the species, non-residents can draw a tag easier than Wyoming residents.

That's how I stack it.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:
All the non-residents are the reason I will never live in Wyoming again. Between the damn bike rallies, Yellowstone touristas, and the non-res hunters the place is a zoo.

At least in Alaska you can get away from it all.

Wyoming is kind of ruined, from what it was when I was kid.

Think we have been here before bull.

Just remember, everyone is from somewhere. My family settled in Wyoming and founded Piedmont. The family name can be found in many wild west museums. Been to fort Bridger?

You are making the assumption that because we have left and then return for whatever reason, we are moraly bankrupt and not to be trusted. When I visit I pay my bills, pay taxes, pay big $$ for my tags, never tresspass, and leave nothing but tracks.

Get over it. Wink

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Your putting words in my mouth. I could care less where you are from, Wyoming just has too many people using it for me these days.

The Wyoming of my youth is gone forever! When I was a kid we shared it with a few other people, but now the area we hunt elk is a zoo. We waited two weeks after the opener and it was still a zoo. Looks like a four wheeler rally on the mountain.

The deserts are the same, 80 miles back into a pretty remote part of the Great Dividing basin and met 40 cars going in during deer season. Only 5 had Cowboy state plates.

My Wyoming isn't my Wyoming anymore. It's full up of folks using it.

Wyoming may have more variety of wildlife than folks in Wisconsin, California, and Pennsilvania have, but we don't have the total numbers.

If there were 500,000 mule deer, 100,000 whitetails, 500,000 pronghorns, 150,000 elk, 5000 moose, 5000 bighorns, and 500 head of goats we still wouldn't have the wildlife populations that most other states do and just think of all the folks using it. And with the drought that has been going on over the past 5 years I doubt those kinds of numbers are possible.

Another beautiful thing about Alaska is there is only 1 percent of the whole state that is private land. Even if it was as bad as it could be you would still have 545,000 square miles to roam.

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I don't think there is a solution to your problem. You are correct about Wyoming not being what it was in the past. The same must be said about Alaska. The difference is degrees.

I have been frustrated with changes that have been made in California. My boyhood haunts of the Eastern Sierra are no longer an over the counter tag. X9 is a tough draw.

Environment, population, and politics are something we have to live with, hopefuly with undue stess.

I believe is was Archie Moore who said, "A man mellows with age" I do my best.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
The beauty of retiring from the Military and starting over with life number 2 is that I haven't spent enough time in Alaska since I moved there to know what it was like earlier.

I have six left and I won't spend but a few weeks in Alaska each year. The plan is Fairbanks, but it all depends on who needs a anthro-biologist in 2014.