Find
Notify
Tools

Hen Pheasant vs Flock of Turkeys
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can someone explain this?

I was in my deer stand watching a flock of turkeys as they crossed a bean field.
I saw them running, jumping and apparently attacking one another but it took a while (and a Leica rangfinder)to see what it was all about.

In the middle of the turkeys was a hen pheasant. She would run through the middle of the flock sending the bigger birds bouncing away like bowling pins. They would then give chase to the little intruder. (who was amazingly fast and agile!)

I watched this for over 10 minutes until they crossed the field and approached cover.
The Turkeys tagged the hen on a couple of occasions and she disapeared into the brush.

The exhausted turkeys resumed their activities in the field and I assumed (erroneousely!) that the show was over.

About 20 minutes later I see turkeys bouncing into the air and running in circles. Sure enough, the hen was back with a vengeance.
She had apparently rested up enough for another game of turkey torture.
They soon moved around a corner where I lost track of their antics.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this?
I would have given about anything for a video camera!

Let me know what you think!

Posts: 44 | Location: Midwestern USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this is true, but...

I saw a bobcat at my cousin's place in Missouri. He said that he heard the state released them to eat turkeys and help the pheasant population.
Apparently, turkeys eat pheasant eggs and nestlings.

I don't buy it, I'd think the bobcats would eat the pheasants, too.

Anyway, I would not be surprised if the hen pheasant would harass a turkey. I see crows go after hawks and owls, and Grackles hound crows, all for raiding nests. Dolphins attack sharks...
We put child predators in jail and feed them. Hmmm...

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Turkeys are known to be territorial. I think they messed with the wrong hen. Esox357.