New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brit dreaming of US hunting trip
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
if i wanted to come to the US for the 2007 hunting season(rifle), mostly for moose or elk, where should i go? i"ve looked briefly at Montana, and an elk/deer package is tempting.
i don"t care about trophies, or at least trophy size, and i don"t want to spend the family fortune doing it.
i can shoot deer here 9 months of the year, or all year if i take roe and muntjac stalking in England, so i"m interested in moose/elk/antelope/goat and anything anyone can suggest.
moose seem to be mostly on a ticket draw, so maybe elk would be simplest?
any suggestions?
good shooting

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not too familiar with other states but I'll give you some costs for Montana which is off the website and I'm sure all others do this as well. The combo license would be a great idea as it also includes a fishing and upland bird license(waterfowl need a Federal game stamp. The cost for a drawn lic. is US$643.00 and an outfitter sponsered one is US$995.00. I really don't know what outfitters cost since I've never used one but the tags are at least garunteed.

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Moose would be the hardest as they are all on the draw in every state I think. Except I don;'t know about Maine. Best bet for moose would be canada and they are pricey any more.

Elk, pick a state and apply. Some are draw and some are not. Wyoming is a draw state. A cow tag is a sure bet, but a bull tag can hard to draw. PM me if you want some areas to try.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Same in Idaho. Odds for drawing in a "trophy" area are low to 5%. Odds for drawing a cow tag are pretty much 100%. Moose, goat, antelope and sheep are draw only, everywhere. The best odds in any area is usually about 25%. Don't forget we only have little Shiras Moose, here.

Most over the counter hunts are either depredation type hunts (i.e. keep the elk away from the crops), or physically very challenging (steep, rough country). Camping is almost required -- and that can be a bit hard to manage when you are flying in.

I would recommend you come and try an "easy" hunt on your own. Get a cow elk tag and maybe a deer tag, if the seasons run concurrently. Email me if you have questions, and I'd be happy to make some suggestions.

Another thing to consider is that a lot of bird seasons will also be open, as well as predator hunts. Cougar and bear tags are over the counter. Coyotes are varmints: no-season, no limit. HTH, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 AI
posted Hide Post
Check out Cabelas website. They offer a large number of hunts:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/community/i...trips/trips-home.jsp

I have used Cabelas in the past. They are merely a booking agent for these hunts.

The reason to check out the site is get an idea of the price range, locations and license issues. They have some mid-ranged and high priced moose hunts. For some one from north america there are cheaper ways of hunting both moose and elk. Most of which are based on a draw system.

I currently have my name in on a Moose hunt in New Brunswick and an Elk hunt in Tennessee.

What ever you do, make sure you check out the referrences of any guide you might use. Good luck!

one of us
posted Hide Post
You could hunt Alaska, without the need for the drawing permits, for bear (brown,grizzly, or black), moose, caribou, blacktailed deer, dall sheep, mountain goat, wolf, etc... Not all on the same hunt, unless you have really deep pockets. You would have to book with a licensed guide.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kudu56:
Moose would be the hardest as they are all on the draw in every state I think. Except I don;'t know about Maine.

Draw there too.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Colorado bull elk tags are available over-the-counter, and while cow tags are distributed by draw (April), many units have left-over cow tags available after the draw. You won't likely find a trophy bull in the general season public areas, but numbers are high.

Fewer and fewer states still run the seasons for their big game animals simultaneously, so a combo hunt is difficult. However, if you time a series of hunts (antelope, mid-October; elk, late October; etc.) you might be able to take several species. Black bear is typically open in many states simultaneously with elk or deer, but chancing on a bear while hunting antlered game is rare most places.

Have you considered just going after one big game species and doing some prairie dog shooting on the side? Now, if you like volume shooting, that will get your blood coursing!

Actually, Alberta and British Columbia may be better choices for mixed-bag big game hunts than the U.S. Rockies. I think that a moose-elk-deer-bear hunt would be possible in Western Canada, along with possibilities of Big Horn Sheep, Mountain Goat, and Caribou. Be sure your bank account is well-fortified, however.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kudu56:
Moose would be the hardest as they are all on the draw in every state I think. Except I don;'t know about Maine. Best bet for moose would be canada and they are pricey any more.

Maine is indeed draw, but you can basically BUY
preference points sufficient so you can be nearly sure of winning...

you can enter the sealed bid draw, last year the two auctioned tags went for $10,800.

You DO NOT need to buy a Maine license to enter their lottery. the deadline date for entering is 31 March for the following season.

If you REALLY want a Moose your best bet is probably Labrador or newfoundland in Canada.

Or enter several draws in different places with Moose and take your chances.

Be aware that several states with huntable moose populations limit the available tags to residents of that state only (Minnesota comes to mind)

In the Northeast US Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont all have Moose draws that are open to non-residents and 10% of the available tags
are designated to non-resident applicants.

Maine:
http://www.state.me.us/ifw/hunttrap/moosehunting/index.htm
Vermont:
http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/moose_hunt_opps.cfm
NewHampshire:
http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunting/Hunt_species/hunt_moose.htm

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks a lot guys!
lots of good info there, saved me a lot of surfing on different states DNR sites!
i like the idea of a deer/elk combo with some wildfowling as well.
i thought moose were all draw only, which accounts for the prices involved.
still dreaming at the minute, but money and time permitting it still might happen!
good shooting

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch:
Same in Idaho. Odds for drawing in a "trophy" area are low to 5%. Odds for drawing a cow tag are pretty much 100%. Moose, goat, antelope and sheep are draw only, everywhere. The best odds in any area is usually about 25%. Don't forget we only have little Shiras Moose, here.

Most over the counter hunts are either depredation type hunts (i.e. keep the elk away from the crops), or physically very challenging (steep, rough country). Camping is almost required -- and that can be a bit hard to manage when you are flying in.

I would recommend you come and try an "easy" hunt on your own. Get a cow elk tag and maybe a deer tag, if the seasons run concurrently. Email me if you have questions, and I'd be happy to make some suggestions.

Another thing to consider is that a lot of bird seasons will also be open, as well as predator hunts. Cougar and bear tags are over the counter. Coyotes are varmints: no-season, no limit. HTH, Dutch.

Dutch,

I know people are slower in IF, clap but you can buy over the counter elk tags for most sections in Idaho. I normally buy my resident tag which is a B tag, then buy an out of state A tag so I can bow hunt.

Maybe moose are small where you are, but when I got my tag 5 years ago I shot one that was 48 inches that had double brow tines. I knew where there was one that would have gone 52 but only had single brows and not as big shovels just long points. I know where one is now that would go in the high 50's.

If you want to hunt in Idaho for Elk, Deer, Bear and a slight chance on lion, contact Mile High Outfitters. It's a guarenteed tag for elk, deer, bear and lion, and the outfitter runs a first class operation. I have not hunted with him, but have hiked by his camps and talked with him. He is very knowledgeable, and his camp is clean, well organized and I wish I had the extra to book with him. Here is his web-site.

http://www.huntidahoelk.com/

brass thief,

If you have any questions, shoot me a PM.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
SB, I'm going to type this slowly, so you can read it this time...

"over the counter hunts are either depredation type hunts or physically very challenging".

Didn't say there were no over the counter tags. I most often buy an over the counter tag in 28 --- but I can tell you from experience that sending a flatlander into Middlefork country is not a recipe for success. You may be a stud-muffin that runs around barefoot in the White Clouds passing the mule trains on the up-hill, but that doesn't mean it's something a inexperienced individual should seek out.

As far as Shiras, they aren't any bigger than a big bull elk, and less than half the weight and antler size of a good Yukon moose. Congrats on your moose, but it's itty-bitty compared to Yukon standards. JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
Brass Thief:

If you simply want to experience the American West and kill an elk, consider a guided cow elk hunt. The tags are guaranteed and your success is almost guaranteed. I have yet to come home empty handed from my annual New Mexico cow elk hunt. It costs about $2000 including the tag.

That said, American elk are nothing more or less than "left hand drive" red deer. And old-world species that's a bit bigger than the reds you can stalk in the UK. Same story with the moose. You don't have to come to the USA to hunt them. The same species can be found and hunted in Scandinavia. If you want to hunt an "American exclusive" species, consider the pronghorn antelope. There are lots of good antelope hunts avaliable. If you aren't looking for record book trophy your chances of success are good. Antelope hunting is enjoyable - but then again what sort of hunt isn't?

When planning a hunt in the USA make sure you know your way around all of the red tape. Importing your rifle into the "gun crazy" USA isn't so easy after 9/11. Also be aware that most states require persons born after a certain date pass a hunter safety course. It's usually something like 1971 or 1973. In Colorado it's 1949. If you have some sort of certification in the UK (such as DSC 1 or 2) the state may honor it.

Odd as it may sound, the American hunter is under a lot more scrutiny than is a British stalker. Be aware that laws pertaining to blaze orange clothing, the proper tagging of game and shooting hours are rigidly enforced.

I hope you can arrange your USA hunt. A few years ago I was considering hunting (oops, stalking) deer Dorset, UK.

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd look into a Wyoming or Montana elk and pronghorn combo hunt. Their ranges do overlapp somewhat. Especially in the middle portions of Montana around the CM Russel.

I've shot elk, deer and pronghorn all on one ranch near Townsend/Helena Montana. I can see if htey are accepting hunters next year if you'd like.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks again guys,
lots of info to digest there. i still like the sound of Montana, esp for the elk/pronghorn or elk/muley combo.
as for the rules and regs, i hunted 2 seasons in New Brunswick for whitetail, so i still have my hi viz vest and hat!
(i caught 2 Americans real good one april 1st in Scotland, by wearing my hunter orange and telling them that as from that morning they needed hi viz to hunt in the UK!)
i don"t mind anything physically challenging, i stalked the hills of Scotland through the last 4 winters, and i don"t want to come round the world to shoot an animal off the hood of a truck while it"s eating out of a bucket!
yes, elk are just real big reds, but it"s a new experience, and i just want a change. i"ve shot whitetails before, so now i fancy muleys or pronghorn.
just to complicate things further, i"ve got a .44 Raging Bull(in Northern Ireland we escaped the UK handgun ban), so can i hunt/what can i hunt with it?
thanks again guys,
good shooting

one of us
Picture of BHW
posted Hide Post
brass thief: PM sent

Posts: 261 | Location: Duncan, SC | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
here"s a thought!
some outfitters advertise "drop camps", as not all states require guide supervision.
any thoughts on drop camps? it would certainly save some money, and give the real experience!
good shooting

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch:
SB, I'm going to type this slowly, so you can read it this time...

"over the counter hunts are either depredation type hunts or physically very challenging".

Didn't say there were no over the counter tags. I most often buy an over the counter tag in 28 --- but I can tell you from experience that sending a flatlander into Middlefork country is not a recipe for success. You may be a stud-muffin that runs around barefoot in the White Clouds passing the mule trains on the up-hill, but that doesn't mean it's something a inexperienced individual should seek out.

As far as Shiras, they aren't any bigger than a big bull elk, and less than half the weight and antler size of a good Yukon moose. Congrats on your moose, but it's itty-bitty compared to Yukon standards. JMO, Dutch.

I will call Bull on this again. I can get the Brit in some easy country that he could buy a tag over the counter. (I am busy this fall Brass thief; sorry, maybe next year)

Your just mad because you haven't drawn your moose tag! rotflmo Plus its a different species.

If you are every down this way, shoot me a PM and we can have a beer and BS about hunting. I haven't hunted down this way much and spend most of my fall in Unit 1. Take care, it's fun to "discuss" issues with Idahoans. Maybe next time we can find a New Yorker and discuss wolves with them instead of going back and forth with each other. cheers

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brass thief:
here"s a thought!
some outfitters advertise "drop camps", as not all states require guide supervision.
any thoughts on drop camps? it would certainly save some money, and give the real experience!
good shooting

I know of one outfitter, but he charges way to much almost 2500 I think. Out of my league just to be dropped off and picked up.

DRSS .470 & .500

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brass Thief:

Far as hunting in Colorado goes. They've shortened the seasons to where there's just about not enough time to do much good other than fund DoW. Five days for most seasons and then again most are too damned early. Elk live up high until the heavy snows force them down because it's too deep for them to find enough grass to eat.

There's a choice with elk here. Either be in shape/age to get up where they are, or wait until the snows fall enough to drive them down.
Many guys, especially inexperienced and/or lazy hunt the early seasons and don't see anything, or very little.

Just keep in mind the kill ratio runs about 17% most years. That means 80-85% go home empty. From where you are, that's one hell of an expense not to get one.

Moose here are Resident/draw only and takes several years to gain enough points, so that's out for you.

Antelope are almost the same way. Unless you can make the trip on short notice you need to draw a tag. Like mentioned before here, deadline is April 4th. There's more antelope up in the NW corner of the state than anywhere else. Lot more muley's up there too. In some areas, there's more elk in that corner too .But, not all areas have lots of elk there either.

You can get cow tags for quite a few areas and stand a fair chance of getting one. But, they are elk too, so the same rules apply about hunting up high until the snows drive them down.

There are some exceptions to these comments, but, this is pretty accurate info for this state and applies for every year too.

You can contact Dow @: wildlife.state.co.us

IF: you're considering hunting Colorado, order the last several years Big Game Statistic's booklets. They have a breakdown for every species, every season and every means of hunting them for $7 per year.

Personally, I'd head to Australia and hunt Sambar. No seasons, no limits, and the tags are only $40 per year for ALL species. Contact some of the folks on the Australian posts within the A/R. I'd bet you could have a whole lot more fun and kill a lot more game by going over there than the USA.

I'd like to e/m with you about the UK and such IF you have time and would be willing.
georgeld@hotmail.com

Wish you well no matter what you do,

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5983 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks George, send me a pm, and if i can be of any assistance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would check out British Columbia if you are willing to look at at Canadian mixed game hunt. I think you can find a better trophy quality hunt for about the same price and have a very high success ratio as well. Maybe I'm personally biased, but I think the terrain and scenery is nicer as well....

If you want a good elk/moose combo hunt, with a possible deer combo as well, check out Aaron Fredlund's site in Northern BC Rockies. He is about as hard-hunting outfitter as anyone out there and knows what he's doing to make you have a good time.

His Website: www.fredlundguideservice.com

Big moose up in his country....

Posts: 94 | Location: East Kootenays | Registered: 13 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Personally, I'd head to Australia and hunt Sambar. No seasons, no limits, and the tags are only $40 per year for ALL species. Contact some of the folks on the Australian posts within the A/R. I'd bet you could have a whole lot more fun and kill a lot more game by going over there than the USA.
George

Frankly if I personally had the money to hunt australia I'd go to NewZealand instead

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote