New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help on spring bear options
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am coming into some cash and am ready to set out on some out of state hunts, like everyone else. I'd like to try a spring bear hunt for next spring. I'd like some opinions as to what I can do.

My preferences are: Spot and Stalk only, no buckets, hounds and horses a slim possibility. Color a bonus but not a requirement. Would like a decent sized bear. I don't care what the skull scores, but would like a full grown bear. I imagine a skull matches a big bear, but. Horses are a plus. Semi-soft ground OK, no lodges or 4000 calorie meals needed.

I think I am talking about either Idaho or Montana. I know Alaska has the big ones, but $4000 for a bear is too much for me right now. The B.C. islands are probably the same price, but I've heard that you see bears all day. Washington, Oregon and California are sleepers, I don't hear much on them.

Anyone that reads or is willing to give input, let me know what a good day seeing bears is in ID or MT. Is a spring bear over 200 lbs a big one for the lower US?? There are some real cheap prices offered for ID, claiming two bears. Are there that many???

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
<merkelmeister>
posted
by now you have missed spring bear hunting in all but the highest elevations. I can lead you to a great spring bear hunt in BC for 1500 USA dollars next spring.

As to Idaho, yes, there are that many bears in parts of the state, but do you want two bears or one really good bear?

In southest alaska, where we used to go, the shoot was the last two weeks of April, to get them before the rub.

usually saw 5-10 bears a day.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am all ears either online or off. I'd like to SEE several bears and take only one. I'd feel greedy trying for two.

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Northwest Mt. will give you the opportunity to see several. If your going solo without a outfitter this is doable. Lots of National forest and other public areas. I come from Helena so I'm not the best one to give specific advice, but I'm sure they're folks who will offer info. Mt. isn't going to give you the largest bear skull wise, but you should be able to find a decent adult sized bear.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote