New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moose hunting whit half automatic.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I dont know how you say this but in sweden we say "halvautomat"= half automatic.

Now to my question, how many shoots can you shoot at 5 second whit a hecler&koch half automatic rifle in caliber 30-06.

I have think that it would be effective if you can shoot 3-4 shoots very fast at the moose.

Some buddy who knows...

Posts: 751 | Location: sweden | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only effective if you hit what your shooting at.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest that 3-4 AIMED shots in 5 seconds would be about right. I know in a perfect world 1 shot 1 kill is ideal, but while a moose may be easy to kill, they are sometimes hard to put down, & sometime you don't want them running 100yds to a BAD place!

[This message has been edited by sxr6 (edited 02-04-2002).]

Posts: 302 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Overkill:
I dont know how you say this but in sweden we say "halvautomat"= half automatic.

Now to my question, how many shoots can you shoot at 5 second whit a hecler&koch half automatic rifle in caliber 30-06.

I have think that it would be effective if you can shoot 3-4 shoots very fast at the moose.

Some buddy who knows...

I think here it is called SEMI AUTOMATIC,
but you would not want to use this rate of fire instead of a properly placed single heart/lung shot! More holes means more meat loss!!
Good Luck!!!

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Overkill,
I have fired the H&K 91 with telescoping stock and found it to recoil about as much as my two STG-58's (Austrian FN-FAL's). As you know those are 7.62x51mm or .308 Winchester. They are comparable to 30'06. I do not think I could fire more than 2 shots in five seconds accurately, meaning I try to make them go to the same place.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Roger Rothschild (edited 02-05-2002).]

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I submit that the difference in rate of aimed fire of a semi-auto and a bolt is rather minimal. Perhaps a half second per shot? A PRACTISED shooter with a bolt will operate it during the recovery from recoil / target re-acquisition sequence.

It was shown in tests with heavy recoiling shotguns that the guys with the pump shotguns could actually re-acquire the target faster than the semi-auto guys. The operation of the pump made recoil recovery faster. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I remember a study reported in one of the major magazines in the late '60's or early '70's on the speed of the various actions. All testing was done with shooters who were considered experts with the type of action used. Timing was done between the report of the first shot to the report of the 5th shot. The actions tested were Autoloader, Pump, Lever and Bolt. All shots were aimed at a target with misses being disqualified.

The average times were:

Auto: 5.4 seconds
Pump: 5.5 seconds
Lever: 5.6 seconds
Bolt: 11.0 seconds

Since the speed factor would really only apply to four shots in each instance (since the first shot took no time at all), I've come up with the following per shot average.

Auto: 1.35 seconds
Pump: 1.375 seconds
Lever: 1.4 seconds
Bolt: 2.75 seconds

Posts: 190 | Location: Manotick, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger,

I am confused. The H&K 93 is chambered in 5.56X45 NOT 7.62X51. So what was your point?

Kent

Posts: 116 | Location: Cleves, IA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote