New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kansas Cold buck
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, I guess like a lot of other folks, I spent some recent time freezing my self while deer hunting. I hung in til the bitter end, no pun intended, and scored on my biggest whitetail so far.

I shot this guy with only 25 minutes left on our trip. Still pretty beat after a long week at work, I'll try to recant the whole story later on. He grossed @ 174 7/8, will net down into the high 160's. I'm proud.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
WOW that is a really nice deer.Makes all the misery worthwhile.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
GEEEEEEEZZZZZZZ!!!!

HOLY COW, WHAT A HUGE BUCK!!

That is awsome Fish. I'm very very happy for you! And yes, I've been out in 12 degree weather myself but NOTHING like that coming into bowrange.

Wow, I'm just about speechless, what a beautiful typical deer!

Please take it to a GOOD taxidermist. (I'm assuming you'll be mounting him).

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
That is a fantastic buck. Congratulations! Your photo is well composed too, it looks real nice.

~Ann

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
congrats on a very nice buck--chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. It was 12 degrees that day, with a 14 degree wind chill! Ice in the moustache ya know....

Yeah Doc, I took him to a fellow who was a former Smithsonian Institute taxidermist, 2 time national champ etc. He's going to do a full shoulder mount, semi-upright, right cant for me. It's gonna be a long 8 months or so til he's done--glad I had a few photo's to fondle.

Regards--Don

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! Not much more to say.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VERY NICE deer.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trapntrav
posted Hide Post
nice pic, congratulations thumb

Posts: 256 | Location: Fort Nelson, BC, Canada | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
That's a fabulous whitetail!!

With that healthy inside spread I would probably opt for a straight ahead mount instead of a turn though. Just my opinion. If you have other pictures that show a left or right turn you might want to examine each view and consider the ramifications on the mount.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great buck!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
It was 12 degrees that day, with a 14 degree wind chill!

I'm just being a bit of a smartA$$ here but did you mean -14 windchill? Or was the wind actually warmer? Big Grin

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
Woof, what a buck! And what is more, shot with a Sako, by the looks of it. Weidmannsheil!
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Congratulations.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah Doc, I guess I'm still thawing out. The net was it was -2! The little moisture in the air made it really brutal.

MHO, you are right, it was my go to SAKO in .270, custom McMillan stock, 140 gr. Accubonds--didn't have any of my Serengeti rigs available when I left for the trip or one of them would have gotten the call!

Regards--Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ah Don, I had not even noticed you were the one with that mega-buck. Must be my eyes getting old... Roll Eyes You seem to have had a superb hunting year. It must have something to do with your shooting ability, which Rod praised in such high terms.

If I had noticed it was you, I would have made a remark of the missing Serengeti, although a Sako is a good replacement in a tight spot... Wink

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fish,

What a great buck! Congratulations!

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Whoa, he is a TOAD! Nice buck!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7542 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don,

What a classic 10 point! Beautiful! Yeah! You gotta stay in those stands to make that kind of hunt work. I've done it myself and it just gets hard on a guy. I've booked for next year with a guy I represent in Idaho's Unit 1 where you can take 2 bucks. Two whitetails or mulies or one of each but it is no slam dunk.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12928 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
what a super deer...vrty good mass looks perfectly porpotioned...look at those eye guards...that is a great deer

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome buck Fish!!!! Don't see many like that in GA.. Are you a subscriber to GON? I spect you have a "truck-buck" there!!! Way to go,,,congrats!!!!

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)
If at first you don't succeed,,,failure may be your thing!!!

Posts: 198 | Location: Yuma, Arizona | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
EekerWOW!

That's Awesome Fish!

Man, you probably will not see many more like that one. He had a Big Body too.

Congrats

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great deer and a great photo to boot!Congrats!

Posts: 156 | Location: Southern MD | Registered: 29 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Fish, You sure do have a fine reason to be proud about that excellent Trophy Buck.

Looking forward to the entire story.

Congratulations.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that's an average Kansas buck. Wink Just kidding. Great buck! I was out in that same stuff and you had better be dressed for it.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent Doc, that is a beauty!

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks, it is a lot warmer after shooting a big boy than before. But like larrys said, you need to be dressed for it. I am considering some even heavier longhandles than what I had on, if I can find such! I am pretty big guy, but as you can see in the photo, I was wrapped up pretty well also. I appreciate the feedback, I'm already scheming on our return trip for next year.

Thanks--Don

PS--Jason, I was out in Kansas--thus the post title, I used to be a contributing author for GON though....

one of us
posted Hide Post
thats an asskicker of a buck!!! i'm green with envy, anyone who says they're not is going straight to hell for lying!!!

One of Us
Picture of Murf
posted Hide Post
Excellent deer. But why complain about the balmy weather?

pssst America, your vulnerability is showing.

Posts: 14361 | Location: Sask. Canada | Registered: 04 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don,

What a great buck. Your hard work cetainly paid off.

Doug

Posts: 280 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Fish, I noticed that a little too late. Sorry, just one of my dumbass moments. Great Buck!!!

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)
If at first you don't succeed,,,failure may be your thing!!!

Posts: 198 | Location: Yuma, Arizona | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don, I don't know exactly what size you are, but if you can wear XXL, look into Arctic Shield. It is, by far, the best insulation going. I bought bibs and a coat this year and when I got out of the truck, it was 12 degrees with the wind blowing 20mph and I got hot after only a few steps on the flat ground (no climbing). That has never happened before. My feet were cold with 1000gr Thinsulate boots, but my body never got cold, even after 4 hours sitting. Give it a try, if you can.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Er, meant "Fish", not Doc. Sorry. Great trophy anyhoo.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fish30144,

Nice one - where did you hunt? Just curious as I spent my first 24 years in Kansas.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Murf, I notice from your icon you've got a toboggan like you need up there in Canada, I know those temps are cake for you!

Larrys, appreciate the tip, I am a XL or XXL, a size 49 sport coat.I'll check out the Arctic shield stuff.

Dougaboy, good to hear from you, it was sweet after all the grinding.

No worries Digital, I am actually dyslexic and I still get it right sometimes--or is that wrong?

MHC_TX, we were hunting near Salina Kansas, lots of open ground there! I've found the genetics to be great throughout Kansas, I have some acquaintances that have consistently found some big boys in the southeast part of the state, haven't been there--yet!

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Did you hunt with a Guide or self hunt?

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fury01, we were self hunt, old school I guess. The rancher from the area showed us the boundries of the property some years ago, and now he just says hello and cuts us loose. We've been lucky so far, have gotten 5 bucks that scored 150 plus in the last 3 years.

Take Care--Don

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
We've been lucky so far, have gotten 5 bucks that scored 150 plus in the last 3 years.

Man, Must be Nice.

One day I'm gonna cross paths w/ one of those 150+ critters myself, Hard to come by in most parts.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. I live near that area and we see quite a few more guided hunters than we used to. We see more and more leased ground as well. I am lucky to have good ground to hunt and have killed several nice bucks over the last 10 years.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Best of class. best of breed. best of show.

You take a sweep!!

Congrtulations. and that old buck should have waited another 30 minutes and he would still be cold!!

Nice work.

Jameister

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote