THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Accubond performance report from deer season

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accubond performance report from deer season
 Login/Join

posted
Just thought I would add some info on my experiences with the Accubond this season. Gun was a Tikka 270 Win, 140 grain Fedral Premium loadings

First deer was about an 80 pound fawn shot to fill my partner's wonderful "earn-a-buck" tag here in WI. Slighty angled toward me 75 yards. Shot entered front shoulder, broke shoulder, went back through lungs, exited ribs mid ribs. Half dollar of silver dollar sized exit hole, lungs jello, dropped on spot. Dead by the time I could walk over to it.

@nd deer was a 2 1/2 year old 8 pointer, 200 yards. Bullet entered behind the shoulder and a bit high, at a slight up angle. Went through ribs, took out top of lungs and bottom of spine and rib attachments to spine. Exit hole, interestingly, was only about quater sized. Deer dropped on spot, again dead by the time I could walk over to it. Did a number on the spine and ribs, and still exited.

Overall, I couldn't have been more pleased with the performance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
i know that this is monday-morning quarterbacking, but at that range you might have done better had you aimed for the ribs, not the shoulder. i think i read somewhere that hronady doesn't recommend their interlocks at velocities over 3000fps.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I had a totally different experience with Hornady Interbonds 139gr at 3230FPS,7mmRM hit a nice 8 pt on the shoulder at 25-30yds buck was quartering toward me.Found hair, blood, bones 1/2"X 1" but lost the buck.Three of us seached for 2-3 hours in crop field and low brush, Nothing. I'll not use them again. I have 140 gr Accubonds loaded now.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Quote:

i think i read somewhere that hronady doesn't recommend their interlocks at velocities over 3000fps.

Yes, but he wrote interBOND. Is it the same case with those bullets as well?

one of us
posted Hide Post
yikes!

give me a break, it is monday morning!

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rob1sg -

just caught my mistake regarding interbond vs interlock. my apologies!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had great luck with the Accubond so far on whitetails. I wonder this, is their some sort of written guidelines on what's too hard, what's too soft and when and why and at what velocity this would be the case? I guess in my mind it isn't practical to test a lot of different bullets on game, and that's why we ask others about their experiences.... I wonder if there is a reasonable test medium to determine 'on game' performance of various bullets at various velocities?......probably the first time this was ever asked huh? NOT..............

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote