New
Find
Notify
Tools

NM Oryx hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Leavin friday for Alamogordo. I'm gonna murder one with the smoke pole! Wish me luck......Wapiti7

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Good luck!

The Oryx is a beautiful animal and very tasty too! I would venture a guess that the Oryx is the best tasting wild meat in all of New Mexico.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Good luck -- take some pictures for us.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Lucky dude.

Hold out for a good one. I hear they flat have some NICE ONES.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hope you get this in time but be prepared to move around alot and bring a good spotting scope. They live in the mostly flat desert and finding them without a major terrain feature to get up on to observe is difficult. I used to see em all the time around the "pipeline road" on Fort Bliss.

I'm jealous.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
Good luck!

The Oryx is a beautiful animal and very tasty too! I would venture a guess that the Oryx is the best tasting wild meat in all of New Mexico.

Wow, I would say a spiker elk. The only African game I thought was better tasting than ours was the Eland.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well hells bells!! Amist a 500yr flood and temps in the 60s, I whacked 33 1/2 inch bull with my muzzleloader at 116 yds! I'll try to post a pick tomorrow night. Thanks boys!!!!

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Wapiti7!! Cool

Someday I want to shoot one of those, but that won't be for a few years yet. Are non-residents allowed to hunt them? I am from Northern BC, in Canada.
Regards,
Graham

Posts: 264 | Location: Northern BC, Canada | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M70classic:
Congratulations, Wapiti7!! Cool

Someday I want to shoot one of those, but that won't be for a few years yet. Are non-residents allowed to hunt them? I am from Northern BC, in Canada.
Regards,
Graham
Yes I put in for a depredation hunt on White Sands Missle Base 6 yrs ago tag was $1510 didn't get drawn got $1500 back.New Mexico had depredation tags for Elk,Javelina & Oryx when I applied do a google search.Resident tag was $110 for Oryx.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone offhand know the odds of drawing this tag these days?

Thx

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dobrenski:
Anyone offhand know the odds of drawing this tag these days?

Thx

Mark D

For the once-in-a-lifetime hunts, non-resident draw odds are about 1 in 10.

Posts: 294 | Location: Waunakee, WI USA | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote