New
Find
Notify
Tools

7-30W vs other contender calibers
 Login/Join

<perrydog>
posted
I am thinking about buying a 7-30 waters bbl for my contender....but I am not totaly set on that caliber. I would like a caliber that is resasonable to use on caribou <150 yards(I have only had to shoot one caribou farther than that).

Does anyone around here have experience with some of the SSK calibers "JDJ's", or some of the alternatives offered by Bullberry or virgin valley? I really don't want too strange of a wildcat that I have to go through 10 steps to form brass ... I also would rather not pay $100+ for reloading dies plus more for forming dies. Multiple annealing isn't my favorite way to spend a sat afternoon either.

I guess a 45-70 would also work as a <150 yard caribou killer.... but I am seriously thinking a wildcat of some type might be interesting. I know some of the gun nuts around here have had to of collected a pile of contender barrels and give me their opionion!

<Dan in Wa>
posted
From what I have seen and read caribou are not difficult to kill. Sooo....how about a 30/30 Super 14 barrel shooting 150gr. Nosler BT's. Don't like them in rifles but work great in Contenders. Have shot several mule deer (small to medium) with the 125gr. Bt's. They don't over expand @ 2400fps. FWIW.