New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 WSM vs Antelope results
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have finally gotten my 6.5 WSM put together and thought that I'd pass along what I've found. My rifle is built on a Savage 300 WSM left handed short action. These WSM actions appear to be a controlled round type feed rather than a push feed. I had it barreled with a Lilja 26"+ No. 3 contour. This was set into a Stockade Stocks lightweights stock. It's scoped in Burris Signature rings and bases, and topped with a 4.5-14X Burris Fullfield II Ballistic Plex. Out the door it weighs 8.65 lbs

I was only able to spend a little time with the rig before leaving on this hunt. My load was 65.5 Retumbo and 215GM primers. I've not chrono'd them yet but the 'smith said they're around 3189 fps. I had him set the rifle throat exclusively for 140 Hornady Interlock flat bases.

The Ballistic plex fit very nicely with this set up. On steel targets, the stadias were almost right on. I sighted dead on at 200 yards. The 300 stadia line was off a little. The bullet impact was about 3 inches below the line. 400 yards was right on I shot a 2.5" group in the center of the steel turkey. This was the norm all the way to 600 yards were I hit a 12" steel disc.

I took an antelope doe this weekend. Distance was a lazered 304 yards. Angle was a moderate to hard quarter towards me head left and hips right. It was a little different without the sandbags, but the shot was perfect.

I missed the shoulder bone by and inch, punching through a human equivalent of a tricep. Bullet lodged under the hide just in front of the rear right leg. Over 20"s of penetration, but no bones incurred. Bullet recovered, and I'll weigh and post the retained weight soon. Inner dammage was a small portion of the heart and the back of a lung. She traveled farther than I thought and fell about 90 yards from the shot.

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good job! Make sure to post pics of your hunt and gun for us to drool over. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The heck with the hunt. I want to see the gun and the bulletBig Grin

Posts: 201 | Location: Loomis, Ca | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool, let see some pics when you get a chance.

Posts: 493 | Location: GEORGIA, U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2002Reply With Quote