Tools

Re: successful goat hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted
alaskadude
Very nice goat...thanks for sharing

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

i bought a new boat this year and in its maiden voyage hunting she did very well for us. we got this goat and saw many others and also got a real nice black bear and saw 10-15 others. the weather was perfect for the run out and the hunting. we stalked the goat in the am from the bottom, it took half a day to get through the alders and into the alpine, once there we stalked to 275 yds (rangefinder). the goat was still sleeping, there was a small window to the shoulder. the shot was very steep (up) and the bottom portion of his shoulder was covered by rocks since we was laying down. i talked it over with jason that i would shoot and try to slide one in but if he got up we were to both knock him over. we got comfortable and i squeezed one off (300 win,180 tbbc hand loads) there was a puff of hair and he never moved. not even a kick. we wathed for a few seconds then his head picked up and i shot him 4 inches from the first hole. his head dropped and then he kicked a little, then he released himself from the garvitational hold(velcro?) he had and came down a hundred yards and came to rest on an ice field. it took us the rest of the day to butcher it and carry it down. we arrived at the waters edge at dark, very tired but happy. i was soooo sore the next few days. my boat is over my right shoulder but its a long way down.

Posts: 111 | Location: eagle river ak | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats 'dude and thanks for sharing your story. I'm a single dad with a daughter and 3 more years of highschool. When she has graduated I plan to follow a life-long dream and go to AK with the intention of moving up there. I've been in CO all my life, with most of my adult life spent as a guide and a licensed outfitter. Getting to be too many people here. Oh, did you want to hear this?

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At what elevation did you shoot it? It looks like that water is a loooong way off.

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote