New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leaving Tues. for Black Bear
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My son and I fly out of Indy at the butt crack of dawn for a black bear hunt in Idaho with Boulder Creek Outfitters. This will be our first out of state hunt together. We will be about 4 hrs. north of Boise for 5 days. The outfitter says the wild plums are on, and we should see a lot of bears. We will set and glass, then spot/stalk. Supposedly about 35% of the bears are color phase. I'm taking my .45-70 guide gun, and will be shooting leverevolution ammo. May not be the best rifle choice, but its all I have, and I have killed wild hogs with it out to 200 yds. This will be the first time I have flown firearms since 9/11, so I am a little anxious, but my son [24 yrs. old], is a world traveler, and says not to worry. So we have a new aluminum gun case, TSA locks, and a copy of DELTA/TSA regs. I'm packing today. Weather is supposed to be 45-90 degrees, so trying to cover the bases from tee shirts to insulated jacket. Starting to get excited since it is only 2 days away. Wish us luck, and I'll post up when we get back.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That should be a wonderful hunt, glad to hear your doing the spot and stalk thing.

That turns it into a hunt and not a shoot.

Let us know how the trip goes.

I'm a bruin fanatic myself and look at a lot of them each year.

Should be a super hunt.

On a side, one thing I do quite a bit is calling and that will get those bruins in close quarters many times. I've gotten them as close as 5 yards and he was till coming.

Good luck to ya!

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mad Dog,

Good luck on your trip - I'm sure the flights and handling of the rifles will be just fine.

Please post a report for us upon your return - sounds like a great hunt.

Phil

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote