Find
Notify
Tools

Wyoming Antelope Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted

I recently returned from an antelope hunt in the Gillette, WY area. Not wanting to be undergunned, I used a Blaser R 93 in 300 Weatherby Magnum shooting Berger 168 grain VLD bullets. This bullet, over H4831SC chronos about 3,120 fps and shoots into 1 MOA or less. The scope was a Nightforce 3.5-15X.

The buck was taken at a lasered 292 yards from the prone position. My spotter said there was a red mist on bullet strike and when we approached the antelope, a 6 to 8 foot spray of blood was seen on the grass; certainly an adequate blood trail; not that one was needed though. The heart was shredded and the exit wound was 3 or 4 inches in diameter (something for the taxidermist to fix). The horns measured about 14 1/8 inches; not huge but good enough for my wall since I don't have a pronghorn on my wall.

The area we hunted has a large number of antelope. According to a written source of information, the county we hunted has about 45,000 more antelope than desired. For that reason, tags are easy to get so I shot several does as well.

According to our guide, the area we hunted fairly commonly has horned does unlike most other antelope country. I would presume they're equivalent to a lady with a beard or mustache. There is no official trophy category for horned does but they do make a unique mount. My last doe had horns measuring about 3 5/8 and 4 inches. I was told the "record" horned doe measured about 5 1/2 inches. It was taken from about 279 yards.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Congrats!! I took my Texas pronghorn this year at 292 yards also. I was "overgunned" too with my 7mm STW.

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!
I crawled w/in 160 yds of my Wyoming antelope this fall and felt almost overgunned with a 30.06!
Muzzleloader next time!

Posts: 156 | Location: Southern MD | Registered: 29 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
congrats,
looks like you had a great time,those speed goats are funner being overguned,
chuckel chuckel
regards

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My does felt about right, 100 Hornady out of a .257 Roberts at 375, and another with the same bullet out of a .250 Savage at 200. Our group took them with everything from a 95 gr. Partition out of a .243 to a 160 Accubond out of a 7-mag. Didn't really notice any difference between them.

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Grumulkin! We also hunted in the Gilette area. Very special trip. My Dad is 80 and shot well, and my Son hunted for the first time. He is 19. Three generations now of hunters. Also brought a family friend. We shot 15 antelope between the four of us. Horns went between 12" and 14". Several of our doe had horns. Beautiful area. One of our fellows shot a doe at a ranged 550 yards with his 257 weatherby! Locals were a friendly lot. Everyone should try antelope hunting. For pure fun, nothing beats it!

Posts: 469 | Location: central California | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Took my first speed goat this year, in New Mexico. Used a 300Ultra with 168 Nosler Ballistic Silver Tips. The goat was running away and my partner was calling distances with the rangefinder. I missed once at some distance and then stopped him at 424 yards. I sight in at 300 and am -7 at 400.

Not sure why but I always seem to settle down on the second shot when something is running. I think I shoot too fast with the first one.

Posts: 178 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote