New
Find
Notify
Tools

Meindl Boots and Thinsulate Socks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have pretty much settled on purchasing a pair of Meindl Perfekt Hunter boots from Cabelas. the only thing I don't like about them is the fact that their insulation is a bit less than I would like at 400 grams of thinsulate. Does anyone know of auxilliary thinsulate socks (other than Cabela's junkie ones) to use to increase the thinsulate insulation in boots?

Anybody use these Meindl Perfekt Hunter boots? If so, how do you like them?

One of Us
Picture of Chet
posted Hide Post
I have been using a pair of the Meindl Alaska Hunters for the last two years. They are quite possibly the best hunting boots I have used and they seem to hold up tremendously well. I would think that the Perfekt's would be of similar quality.

Chet

Posts: 290 | Location: Northern Rockies | Registered: 24 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use perfect hunters and they are a great boot. A pair of wool socks is all I use and they were plenty warm hunting Wisconsin whitetails all day long in 5 degree weather last year.

The cork footsoles take a while to conform to your feet, so plan on a fairly long break-in period before you put them to hard use. Once the soles conform, they are a superb boot.

Elmo

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Even if all you do is wear a good wool boot sock over a thin synthetic liner sock, make sure your foot is not constricted or your feet will get cold no matter the Thinsulate. So get the boots big enough.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
An excellent sock to complement your Miendal's is made by Thorlo. They are synthetic and they dry faster than any I've ever used. Comfortable as any. 30 yrs a Sheep Hunter

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1410 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been very pleased with the combination socks from Columbia that I purchased (from Cabela's) called the Monarch Pass. They came with the socks and a liner sock. I have used them in conjunction with a couple of pairs of boots that I like a lot but weren't really designed for the level of cold that I was going to be hunting in, and these socks were great in combo with those boots.
Jackfish is right for sure, I feel my boots have been more effective since I went up half a size, especially since all my cold weather socks are much thicker than my regular socks.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote